By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Local German(on twitter) gets bored and tries to name all American states.

super_etecoon said:
If this was any country other than the US I couldn't do as well. I might be ok at Canada, and maybe a bit of Mexico, but I would fail miserably at any other country. I wonder, probably wrongly, if the world knows more US states than Americans know of their states. I also wonder if California might be the most well known state in the world. Again, most of this is probably because of my western (and Californian) bias.

Well there's also Florida, the penis of America.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
If this was any country other than the US I couldn't do as well. I might be ok at Canada, and maybe a bit of Mexico, but I would fail miserably at any other country. I wonder, probably wrongly, if the world knows more US states than Americans know of their states. I also wonder if California might be the most well known state in the world. Again, most of this is probably because of my western (and Californian) bias.
ruffy37 said:
I can't even do the german bundesländer, even as german, if needed for school, I knew them, if I need to get somewhere, I check and know it for a short time, some days later I already forget them.

Well, give it a try

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
super_etecoon said:
ruffy37 said:
I can't even do the german bundesländer, even as german, if needed for school, I knew them, if I need to get somewhere, I check and know it for a short time, some days later I already forget them.

Well, give it a try

1) South West Germany

2) South East Germany

3) Donut hole

4) Donut

5) Ummm....

6) Uhhh...

Honestly, Bavaria is the only German state I can name but I can't place it on the map.

Signature goes here!

Even people who were born and raised n the US could not name all 50 states correctly without having to google it. I can remember most but once I get east in the New England and such. I'm lost.

Now when an American does a world map...

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Even people who were born and raised n the US could not name all 50 states correctly without having to google it. I can remember most but once I get east in the New England and such. I'm lost.

Now when an American does a world map...

The Santa killed me. 

Around the Network

I'm Mexican and I think I don't have problems with the American divisions. The smaller states on the East are always tough, however.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

TruckOSaurus said:
Mnementh said:

Well, give it a try

1) South West Germany

2) South East Germany

3) Donut hole

4) Donut

5) Ummm....

6) Uhhh...

Honestly, Bavaria is the only German state I can name but I can't place it on the map.

#2.

I think Texas, California And Florida are the most recognizable for people outside of us.

Edit: i guess Alaska and Hawaii too. 

TruckOSaurus said:
Mnementh said:

Well, give it a try

1) South West Germany

2) South East Germany

3) Donut hole

4) Donut

5) Ummm....

6) Uhhh...

poor capital city of Germany.

super_etecoon said:

The rest of the world, to my knowledge, doesn't value statehood like we do in America. We are really 50 nations bonded together as one United grouping. That's how we started out as,how we were until civil war, and honestly how we still are.

We are bound to the Constitution which requires supermajority of states voting to change. States still have national guards and militias. The concept of the Senate is founded on the idea that states will perpetually have significant weight in government. Otherwise San Francisco, New York City, and Chicago would shove their liberal views down the throats of rural America with no concern for the values of the people there. Even becoming a state is extremely difficult because of how valued it is.