By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Local German(on twitter) gets bored and tries to name all American states.

Dulfite said:
super_etecoon said:
If this was any country other than the US I couldn't do as well. I might be ok at Canada, and maybe a bit of Mexico, but I would fail miserably at any other country. I wonder, probably wrongly, if the world knows more US states than Americans know of their states. I also wonder if California might be the most well known state in the world. Again, most of this is probably because of my western (and Californian) bias.

The rest of the world, to my knowledge, doesn't value statehood like we do in America. We are really 50 nations bonded together as one United grouping. That's how we started out as,how we were until civil war, and honestly how we still are.

We are bound to the Constitution which requires supermajority of states voting to change. States still have national guards and militias. The concept of the Senate is founded on the idea that states will perpetually have significant weight in government. Otherwise San Francisco, New York City, and Chicago would shove their liberal views down the throats of rural America with no concern for the values of the people there. Even becoming a state is extremely difficult because of how valued it is. 

Uh...what?  Stop cramming political crap down ours.  Totally off topic and definitely in the wrong forum.  Thanks.

Around the Network

Have to say grats to him for trying. I would fail on grand scale trying to name states of any European country. I think I can name regions... Like in Germany there is the Bavarian region that produces delicious beer. Then I can go to England and name all those sex provinces Essex, Wessex, etc..

Apparently English people love sex or maybe that was the Saxons.

TruckOSaurus said:
Mnementh said:

Well, give it a try

1) South West Germany

2) South East Germany

3) Donut hole

4) Donut

5) Ummm....

6) Uhhh...

Honestly, Bavaria is the only German state I can name but I can't place it on the map.

Almost correct with the Donut hole... except that German Donuts (aka Berliner) don't have a hole, so Donut would have been correct in a way.

Bandorr said:

edit: I'm not the German. This is a copy of a tweet I found hilarious.

I would include the tweet but the tweet is an image. Which doesn't convert well when included as a tweet.  Haru_cchii. 1k comments, 7K retweets, 30K likes.

I'm not sure which part gets me more. All the Ohio. The kansas guesses. The side with the small ones. Labeling one as "square" or.. texas 2.

Well, Americans are not necessarily much better than this, either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj8rHX86IbA

At least she acknowledges it, too.

To be fair, if someone gave me a map of Berlin all I could do is randomly scribble the words Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg, and Auschwitz. And I'm only 100% sure one of those is actually a city.

Around the Network

OK, here is my original guesses:

1 Baden-Wurtenburg 2 Bavaria 3 Berlin 4 Brandenburg 5 Hamburg 6 Bremen 7 HESSE? 8 Palatinate something? 9 North Rheinland Westfalia? 10 Cologne! 11 Frankfurt? 12 Saarland 13 Leipzig! 14 THURINGIA? 15 Schleswig-Holstein (they KNOW their cows) - ALMOST forgot that when I wrote others first 16 The famousest part of Germany

So, how did I do...?

1 CORRECT! 2 CORRECT! 3 CORRECT! 4 CORRECT! 5 Hamburg (swapped with Bremen, which I suspected) 6 Bremen (swapped with Hamburg, which I suspected) 7 CORRECT! (but misplaced it's capital) 8 Mecklenberg-Vorpommern (Merkelberg would be easier to remember, I think she's from there) 9 Lower Saxony (I think NRW made me think "NW") 10 North Rheinland Westphalia (swapped with Lower Saxony, largest city correct) 11 Rheinland-Palatinate (THERE'S the Palatinate! Frankfurt isn't in it, but is closest big city so 1/4 points?) 12 CORRECT! 13 Saxony (largest city correct) 14 Saxony-Anhalt (...now I Google what Anhalt means, "clue" WTF?) 15 CORRECT! 16 Thuringia (swapped with Saxony-Anhalt)

...so 7/16, or 9/16 if knowing biggest city counts. not bad for a gringo who doesn't speak german and hasn't even been to germany or europe. I knew that trying to guess without list of state names would make it harder, probably would have gotten several more with that... Still I feel lucky with Hesse, like I knew it was the name of a state, and the location felt reasonable, but wasn't really sure. (although if I had associated Frankfurt with Hesse, I probably would have screwed it up and switched them, but a win is a win...)

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 07 February 2020

OK, here is India if anybody wants to try (NO CHEATING!) I think if you know biggest city that counts too.

Dulfite said:

The rest of the world, to my knowledge, doesn't value statehood like we do in America. We are really 50 nations bonded together as one United grouping.

You are wrong. Germany is also a federalistic state.

Conina said:
Dulfite said:

The rest of the world, to my knowledge, doesn't value statehood like we do in America. We are really 50 nations bonded together as one United grouping.

You are wrong. Germany is also a federalistic state.

I did say to my knowledge, meaning I wasn't 100% certain. I'm curious what specific powers the German states retain vs their federal Government? I honestly don't know.

Mnementh said:
super_etecoon said:
If this was any country other than the US I couldn't do as well. I might be ok at Canada, and maybe a bit of Mexico, but I would fail miserably at any other country. I wonder, probably wrongly, if the world knows more US states than Americans know of their states. I also wonder if California might be the most well known state in the world. Again, most of this is probably because of my western (and Californian) bias.
ruffy37 said:
I can't even do the german bundesländer, even as german, if needed for school, I knew them, if I need to get somewhere, I check and know it for a short time, some days later I already forget them.

Well, give it a try

I could do decent with the list of states available to me.

As for OP: I can easily do all the states and even most of the capital cities. Countries are also pretty easy, but some I would need a list for, just because remembering 180 countries is difficult.