By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the decade: The 1980s

Mnementh said:

I can't understand why nobody mentioned Indiana Jones, this is a real classic:

Well, I mentioned Maniac Mansion.

Zak McKracken, Indiana Jones 3 and Loom also came to mind, but Maniac Mansion started it all (after the similar Labyrinth). And it was available on much more systems (C64, Apple II, NES), for Indy 3 you needed at least an Amiga, Atari ST or an expensive PC.

Indy 3 also lost switching between several protagonists and co-op puzzles compared to Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken. And you couldn't kill hamsters and show the remains to their owners.

Around the Network

Got to be Super Mario Bros 3. All these years later and it's still loads of fun to play through. Superb level design, catchy music, easy to get immersed in and difficult to tear yourself away from.

Tetris.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

My top game is The Legend of Zelda.  When I first played it, the game felt huge.  It was an amazing open world action-RPG long before people were even using such terms.  The only other game I had ever played that was like it was Adventure on the Atari 2600, but this blew Adventure away in every aspect.  The size, the exploration, the action, the items, secrets galore, etc....  And all of that is just the beginning.  Once you beat the game, they give you an entire second quest! 

On top of that the game just has so much replay value.  You can beat the dungeons in the first quest in almost any order you like and the game plays differently depending on which order you choose for the dungeons.  When I replayed Zelda 1 just a few years ago I fell in love with it all over again just by beating the dungeons in a different order. 

Most importantly, when the game was first released, it was polished to perfection.  I don't think I've ever played a game that was so innovative, so ambitious, and yet so polished all at the same time.  The game fully deserves the gold cartridge IMO.  For all of these reasons I consider The Legend of Zelda to be, not only the top game of the 80s, but the top game of all time.

Because Super Mario Bros. 3 landed in NA in 1990, I’d have to go with the original Legend of Zelda. I replayed it last year and it’s as brilliant as always—maybe even more impressive now, since it shows how far ahead of its time it really was in 1987.

Around the Network

Honorable mentions for the other platforms:

On the Atari 2600, my favorite game was Adventure.  I'm not sure the Zelda series would even exist without Adventure.  Also one thing this game does, that I wish Zelda 1 did, is that it has an awesome randomizer for the item placement.  The game is never the same twice.  It was my favorite Atari game in the early 80's and it still is.

On computer gaming the choices are tough.  My favorite games back then were Wizardry (early 80s) and Curse of the Azure Bonds (late 80s).  Basically RPGs.  But I have to say that 80s PC games have not aged well.  I cannot understate just how much computer gaming needed a mouse to come along.  Computer gaming went through some kind of quantum leap from the 80s to the 90s through UI improvements and the addition of the mouse.  So, if I can cheat a little bit, I will say that my favorite computer game from this era is actually Ultima 4.  The game is so innovative that no one has tried to duplicate it yet, although Octopath Traveler probably comes the closest.  The reason I say this is a cheat though, is because I owned and beat this game on the NES.  I played it on the PC just a little bit a few years ago, but the UI is just too primitive for me to stick with it.  The NES version has a streamlined UI for console, so I very much prefer it to the PC.

Back in the 80s my favorite arcade game was a toss up between Donkey Kong Jr and Dragon's Lair.  I played Dragons Lair so much that I could literally beat the game with my eyes closed.  I would often just turn my back and show off while playing the last stage.  However, nowadays my favorite game of that era is Dig Dug.  I think the reason I love this game so much, is that I need some go-to maze game whenever I get a need to play this type of game.  Maze games, like Pac-Man, were maybe the most popular genre in the early 80s (either that or shmups).  What makes Dig Dug so great is that you get to make your own maze while you play the game.  That is such a brilliant take on the maze genre and it is probably why, for me, Dig Dug has withstood the test of time.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 02 February 2020

There are a couple ways of evaluating what I think is the best game of the 1980s:

1) Which title was the most important?

2) Which title is my personal favorite?

The answer to the first question, as far as I'm concerned, is clearly the original Super Mario Bros. because, frankly, without it video gaming might well have died off and been forgotten here in the U.S. In the mid-80s, gaming as a medium was on the ropes commercially in the United States. People mainly played video games in arcades back then, but the (first) heyday thereof was coming to a close, and home gaming systems were in a full-blown tailspin to such an extent that Nintendo had to market what in Japan was known as the Family Computer as instead a multipurpose "entertainment system" that happened to play video games in order to get retailers to stock it. People referred to video gaming in the past tense, as a passing fad of the early '80s. The NES was released experimentally at first in targeted markets only for a limited time window. Only because the original Super Mario Bros. released during this time window and took off was the NES, and with it home video gaming as a medium, saved in the United States. It's tough to top that development for objective importance, in my opinion!

My answer to the second question is very different. A Mind Forever Voyaging is my personal favorite from that decade. It was an interactive fiction novel created to critique the overwhelmingly popular public policies of the Reagan Administration in an era-appropriate cyberpunkish type of way. You play as a sentient computer in the year 2031 and simulate the projected future, at various junctures, of a proposed Plan for Renewed National Purpose in a declining United States of North America whose tenets combine neoconservative Reaganism with populistic economic nationalism of a form we would easily recognize today. The projected future the plan yields after 20 years is bright. But 30, 40, and 50 years down the road, not so much, to put it mildly. 

A Mind Forever Voyaging was intended to be controversial, designer Steve Meretzky said at the time, but wound up a commercial flop that caused little uproar, resulting in Meretzky going on to create Leather Goddesses of Phobos next because he figured that a game with "a little bit of sex" would be more effective at stirring up controversy. (So yeah, creators like him didn't exactly follow the emerging play-it-safe philosophy popularized by Nintendo in and around this time.) It's not the most interactive game of the '80s either, endeavoring to include only a single puzzle toward the end. But it is different from, and IMO more effective than, simply reading a book. Next Generation magazine I think aptly summarized it in a 1996 retrospective as "one of the few games...to attempt something more deep in the interactive entertainment medium than killing or humor. It presents a grim view of a dark future not by telling you about it, but rather by letting you experience it and do things for yourself." Therein lies its merit, to me. A Mind Forever Voyaging was an early example of game developers seeking to establish gaming as not simply a vehicle for entertainment, but as a kind of art form as well; an objective that's still somewhat contentious even today, but was even more daring at the time. I admire that audacity and, contrary to what some of the more critical reviews of the time suggested, have wound up revisiting AMFV many times over the years. Unlike with many other '80s era games, this one retains its luster for my taste. It has aged very well. Much better than many of its more interactive, but also emptier, peers that have been long since surpassed in design, and therefore in entertainment value.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 02 February 2020

Jaicee said:

There are a couple ways of evaluating what I think is the best game of the 1980s:

1) Which title was the most important?

2) Which title is my personal favorite?

The answer to the first question, as far as I'm concerned, is clearly the original Super Mario Bros. because, frankly, without it video gaming might well have died off and been forgotten here in the U.S. In the mid-80s, gaming as a medium was on the ropes commercially in the United States. People mainly played video games in arcades back then, but the (first) heyday thereof was coming to a close, and home gaming systems were in a full-blown tailspin to such an extent that Nintendo had to market what in Japan was known as the Family Computer as instead a multipurpose "entertainment system" that happened to play video games in order to get retailers to stock it. People referred to video gaming in the past tense, as a passing fad of the early '80s. The NES was released experimentally at first in targeted markets only for a limited time window. Only because the original Super Mario Bros. released during this time window and took off was the NES, and with it home video gaming as a medium, saved in the United States. It's tough to top that development for objective importance, in my opinion!

My answer to the second question is very different. A Mind Forever Voyaging is my personal favorite from that decade. It was an interactive fiction novel created to critique the overwhelmingly popular public policies of the Reagan Administration in an era-appropriate cyberpunkish type of way. You play as a sentient computer in the year 2031 and simulate the projected future, at various junctures, of a proposed Plan for Renewed National Purpose in a declining United States of North America whose tenets combine neoconservative Reaganism with populistic economic nationalism of a form we would easily recognize today. The projected future the plan yields after 20 years is bright. But 30, 40, and 50 years down the road, not so much, to put it mildly. 

A Mind Forever Voyaging was intended to be controversial, designer Steve Meretzky said at the time, but wound up a commercial flop that caused little uproar, resulting in Meretzky going on to create Leather Goddesses of Phobos next because he figured that a game with "a little bit of sex" would be more effective at stirring up controversy. (So yeah, creators like him didn't exactly follow the emerging play-it-safe philosophy popularized by Nintendo in and around this time.) It's not the most interactive game of the '80s either, endeavoring to include only a single puzzle toward the end. But it is different from, and IMO more effective than, simply reading a book. Next Generation magazine I think aptly summarized it in a 1996 retrospective as "one of the few games...to attempt something more deep in the interactive entertainment medium than killing or humor. It presents a grim view of a dark future not by telling you about it, but rather by letting you experience it and do things for yourself." Therein lies its merit, to me. A Mind Forever Voyaging was an early example of game developers seeking to establish gaming as not simply a vehicle for entertainment, but as a kind of art form as well; an objective that's still somewhat contentious even today, but was even more daring at the time. I admire that audacity and, contrary to what some of the more critical reviews of the time suggested, have wound up revisiting AMFV many times over the years. Unlike with many other '80s era games, this one retains its luster for my taste. It has aged very well. Much better than many of its more interactive, but also emptier, peers that have been long since surpassed in design, and therefore in entertainment value.

An Infocom text adventure. Way to impress me with an obscure game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

Arkanoid, Battle Chess or Populous are also classics. And nethack was from the 80s, the game that was the first popular roguelike (after rogue itself).

I also enjoyed playing Battle Chess. 

Remembering other old classics I played back then, like Jumpman.

Pitfall!

River Raid

Winter Games ^^

Just remembered a funny old game I kept returning as a kid, forgot it even was a spelling game, lol, with my non-existent English... 

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:
Mnementh said:

Arkanoid, Battle Chess or Populous are also classics. And nethack was from the 80s, the game that was the first popular roguelike (after rogue itself).

[snip]

River Raid

I definitely second River Raid as a contender :)