Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the decade: The 1980s

Eh, it's got to be Super Mario Bros. 3 by W.O. Honestly, except for a few select titles, most games from the 80s are borderline unplayable nowadays since they're filled to the brim with artificial difficulty / rehashes to make short arcade experiences last weeks for the kids back then.

Around the Network

To me there is no real doubt: Super Mario Bros. 3. That game has so much charm and creativity. Extremely polished with a perfect level of difficulty. I still replay that game every few years and get immersed each time. I still love replaying Super Mario 64 as well, but with time the flaws have become more obvious (still a masterpiece though), Super Mario World doesn't do much for me anymore.
SMB3 is certainly the best 2D Mario game of all time, probably the greatest Mario game period, and a serious contender for greatest game of all time. Oh, and in contrast to popular belief, the NES version is the go-to version, not the SNES All-Star version. The 16-bit update completely ruined the charm of the 8-bit graphics.

The other 80's game that is an absolute masterpiece is of course Mega Man 2. They pretty much perfected the gameplay with that one. Certainly the best balanced in the series and the one with the greatest sound track, of any NES game really.

Some other strong contenders:
3. Ninja Gaiden
4. The Legend of Zelda
5. Super Mario Bros.
6. Galaga
7. Tetris
8. Donkey Kong
9. R.C. Pro-Am
10. Ms. Pacman

Super Mario Bros 3.

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

It’s Mario Bro’s or Mario Bro’s 3. Nothing else even comes close to their sales PLUS impact on the industry. No matter how much feel good nostalgia tells you another game is

I played Super Mario Bros. 3 in 1989 so I'm totally justified in voting for it. It's one of the best 2D platformers ever made, even to this day.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Moving further back in time now to that primeval wilderness inhabited by the NES, Atari 2600, Colecovision, Master System, and others including various home computers and the arcades, what do you think was the very best video game of 1980-1989, and why?

Phantasy Star, my first ever RPG, at the very end of that decade. I remember being blown away by the 3D subterranean labyrinths, the fact I could move in those in the first person, totally blew my mind back in those days, even if those were very rudimentary and maybe 10 frames per second at the most.

The complexity of the story was something I had never seen before, the RPG genre, totally new to me. In fact that game had such an impact on me that the next game I tried after that (Ultima 4) completely disappointed me as it had none of the game mechanics of Phantasy Star.

TruckOSaurus said:
I played Super Mario Bros. 3 in 1989 so I'm totally justified in voting for it. It's one of the best 2D platformers ever made, even to this day.

Totally agree, I still think the only 2D platformers that can challenge it quality-wise are Mario World, Yoshi's Island, and the Donkey Kong Country games.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

The Legend of Zelda, of course.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

It has to be Super Mario Bros. 3, but of course we can't forget The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Final Fight, Afterburner II, Dragon's Lair, Star Wars Arcade, Prince of Persia, Mega Man 2 or Castlevania 3.

CaptainExplosion said:

It has to be Super Mario Bros. 3, but of course we can't forget The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Final Fight, Afterburner II, Dragon's Lair, Star Wars Arcade, Prince of Persia, Mega Man 2 or Castlevania 3.

Didn't know you had masochist tendancies :3

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909