By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the decade: The 1980s

Legend of Zelda.

You have to think about the time it was released, there was nothing like it.

Around the Network

SMB, while SMB3 may be the better game the former has too much impact on the industry.

Where In the World is Carmen Sandiego. Loved that game as a kid.

Mnementh said:

An Infocom text adventure. Way to impress me with an obscure game.

It's what I do.

Oh, I forgot Pirates!

My first open-world game which I played hundreds of hours:

Around the Network

Well, the most influential game has to be Super Mario Bros. But the game I played the most is hard to tell because I can't remember too well. The contenders are Mega Man 4, Tetris, Nintendo World Cup, Super Mario Bros 3, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I + II, and perhaps Duck Tales.

I think I'll go with Mega Man 4.

No question that it has to be Mario Bros. 3. Just a blockbuster mega fun game that ended the 80s nicely.

Jaicee said:

There are a couple ways of evaluating what I think is the best game of the 1980s:

1) Which title was the most important?

2) Which title is my personal favorite?

The answer to the first question, as far as I'm concerned, is clearly the original Super Mario Bros. because, frankly, without it video gaming might well have died off and been forgotten here in the U.S. In the mid-80s, gaming as a medium was on the ropes commercially in the United States. People mainly played video games in arcades back then, but the (first) heyday thereof was coming to a close, and home gaming systems were in a full-blown tailspin to such an extent that Nintendo had to market what in Japan was known as the Family Computer as instead a multipurpose "entertainment system" that happened to play video games in order to get retailers to stock it. People referred to video gaming in the past tense, as a passing fad of the early '80s. The NES was released experimentally at first in targeted markets only for a limited time window. Only because the original Super Mario Bros. released during this time window and took off was the NES, and with it home video gaming as a medium, saved in the United States. It's tough to top that development for objective importance, in my opinion!

My answer to the second question is very different. A Mind Forever Voyaging is my personal favorite from that decade. It was an interactive fiction novel created to critique the overwhelmingly popular public policies of the Reagan Administration in an era-appropriate cyberpunkish type of way. You play as a sentient computer in the year 2031 and simulate the projected future, at various junctures, of a proposed Plan for Renewed National Purpose in a declining United States of North America whose tenets combine neoconservative Reaganism with populistic economic nationalism of a form we would easily recognize today. The projected future the plan yields after 20 years is bright. But 30, 40, and 50 years down the road, not so much, to put it mildly. 

A Mind Forever Voyaging was intended to be controversial, designer Steve Meretzky said at the time, but wound up a commercial flop that caused little uproar, resulting in Meretzky going on to create Leather Goddesses of Phobos next because he figured that a game with "a little bit of sex" would be more effective at stirring up controversy. (So yeah, creators like him didn't exactly follow the emerging play-it-safe philosophy popularized by Nintendo in and around this time.) It's not the most interactive game of the '80s either, endeavoring to include only a single puzzle toward the end. But it is different from, and IMO more effective than, simply reading a book. Next Generation magazine I think aptly summarized it in a 1996 retrospective as "one of the few games...to attempt something more deep in the interactive entertainment medium than killing or humor. It presents a grim view of a dark future not by telling you about it, but rather by letting you experience it and do things for yourself." Therein lies its merit, to me. A Mind Forever Voyaging was an early example of game developers seeking to establish gaming as not simply a vehicle for entertainment, but as a kind of art form as well; an objective that's still somewhat contentious even today, but was even more daring at the time. I admire that audacity and, contrary to what some of the more critical reviews of the time suggested, have wound up revisiting AMFV many times over the years. Unlike with many other '80s era games, this one retains its luster for my taste. It has aged very well. Much better than many of its more interactive, but also emptier, peers that have been long since surpassed in design, and therefore in entertainment value.

I used to play a few of the old Infocom games back in the day. I had Zork and Zork 2, Cutthroats, Suspect (which was probably the most complicated one I played, they had a lot of elaborate scripts for the NPCs), and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which my older sister saw me playing and got me the Hitchhiker books for Christmas. My favorite was Enchanter.

My honorable mentions:

Donkey Kong: it was the first video game I can actually remember playing. I had the Atari 8-bit version, which was one of the few version that had the Cement Factory level and was the closest approximation to the arcade game. It's still my favorite arcade game of all time. I even got the Arcade Archives version for the Switch.

Metroid: Loved the NES music and the atmosphere. I've always said the Metroid games were better Alien games than the actual Alien games.

Joust and Balloon Fight: Joust I played with my sister at the arcade and on Atari, Balloon Fight was the same idea.

Alternate Reality: my first RPG. I'd rank it as the second best game of 1985 after Super Mario Bros. It was pretty complex for its time, with day/night, hunger/thirst, poison, and alignment. It was a modular RPG and I only had the City module, and the only other module that was actually completed was the Dungeon. They had also planned for Wilderness, Palace, Arena, and two story-based modules which were supposed to explain the whole game world, but those never got completed.

Dragon Warrior: First Japanese RPG. I downloaded it for the Switch recently. As simplistic as it is by today's standards, it was really something special on the NES, and I still enjoyed playing through it now.

For me it's Super Mario Bros 3. The sheer scope, variety, and polish outclassed many games of the following generation much less its own. As Rol says, 8-bit graphics aside it really did feel like an SNES game come early. In my opinion, it remains one of the finest 2D platformers ever made even more than three decades later.

Honourable mentions go to Mario Bros 1 & 2, (US/Doki Doki panic version) Galaga, Tetris, and Dig Dug.