By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Results (Switch 52.48m, Pokemon 16m)

I think March is going to be a big month for them to push those numbers way up for the fiscal year...

The Outer Worlds - March 6th
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - March 6th
Doom 64 - March 20th
Animal Crossing - March 20th

All of these titles will likely sell very well and are system sellers as well...

Last edited by scottslater - on 30 January 2020

Nintendo with the Switch:

Around the Network
scottslater said:

I think March is going to be a big month for them to push those numbers way up for the fiscal year...

Doom 64 - March 20th

All of these titles will likely sell very well and are system sellers as well...

Animal crossing is a system seller. Pokemon mystery dungeon will be a decent seller and the other 2 won't affect sales.

Dayum good numbers! Was hoping Three Houses would be a bit higher, but Luigi's Mansion did way better than I thought it would. Pokemon obviously was gonna do well as it always does despite the decline in quality, but to compete with Gen2? So undeserved, but eh, at least it means more money for Nintendo to hopefully put into their other games. Despite not being interested in playing the game I find myself oddly rooting for Ring Fit Adventure. MK8D I never thought would actually be competing with MKWii. If MK9 doesn't happen it might have a real shot. Splatoon will be at 10m soon, but I was hoping it could reach the 20m club and stand next to Mario and Zelda. Mario Party reaching 10m also feels a bit undeserved, but at least they're heading in the right direction.

NateH said:

This is seriously hilarious to me. All the people acting like it was going to perform poorly due to some Internet outrage.

All the people? If you can show me even one post who genuinely believed it'd sell poorly I will immediately buy Pokemon Sword, Shield, Pikachu, Eevee, Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon, Pokeball Plus, Sw/Sh expansion pass for both versions, Pokemon Bank and Home, Switch Online, and a ham sandwich.

RolStoppable said:
trunkswd said:

There were plenty of reports of it hard to find the standard Switch towards the end of the holidays. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo ends up shipping 20 million by the end of the fiscal year. 

Yes, the hybrid SKU was undersupplied in a few countries, but that's more than offset by the Lite being in ample supply everywhere. Something like this happens when a very different new SKU is introduced and both the manufacturer and retailer have yet to figure out the demand for the different SKUs.

Even if Nintendo ships 20m, that's still only 2.26m for the quarter, so still below the expected sell-through for the same period. Whatever you've adjusted today, you are going to have to reverse most, if not all of it, because otherwise the numbers aren't going to add up.

It's great that you are quick with adjustments, but in this case you acted too soon. More precisely, before you knew about Nintendo's shipment forecast. If Switch sells through about 3.0m this quarter (likely, because of the Animal Crossing boost at the end of the quarter), then you risk that the LTD gap between shipments and sell-through drops to as low as 1m which obviously doesn't make sense. That error will stem from the adjustments you made today, so you can either wait three months or restore the numbers today. Is there a simple way to restore the numbers?

No sorry but there is no way there was 2.5 millions Switch still on shelves after the holiday season even if the lite was not out of stock, their forecast was still low when clearly they were going to surpass the 18 million and then adjusted it up by 1.5 millions cause it looks good for investors. I'm sure they are just aiming low on paper for the same reason but clearly know they will do over 20 millions.

scottslater said:

Doom 64 - March 20th

People are too fast claiming system sellers. I would reign that in a bit, at least for some of these games.

The Outer Worlds: All we know about it's sales is that it 'exceeded expectations', whatever that means. But it got a multiplatform release and is a late port on Switch. I doubt it's system seller abilities even if it sells well, for multiple reasons. It is a more core game, so the gamers most likely already own a console, either PS4, XB1 or Switch. If it is PS4 or XB1 they already bought it for that platform. If it is Switch, the game sells no Switch. Only few gamers will decide for Switch, after this game enters the library. The oners of Switches though may buy this game (myself included) so good sales are possible, just not much in driving the Switch-sales.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: This is a surprise as I looked up past sales it seems the best-selling past releases could close to five million. If the current entry sells in this ballpark this would be extremely cool. There is no Mystery Dungeon game (Pokemon or otherwise) on Switch so far (as far as I know). There are lot of other roguelikes on Switch, but Mystery Dungeon usually has a slightly different target group. So with multi-million sales and a customer group not yet covered, this could very well a smaller system seller.

Doom 64: This is  on March 20th? I thought Doom Eternal? Either way. The ones who want to play Doom mobile, already came for Doom 2016 or for the original Doom 1+2. It probably sells great, but not to people still not owning a Switch.

Animal Crossing: Yeah, this without a doubt is a system-seller.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
xMetroid said:

No sorry but there is no way there was 2.5 millions Switch still on shelves after the holiday season even if the lite was not out of stock, their forecast was still low when clearly they were going to surpass the 18 million and then adjusted it up by 1.5 millions cause it looks good for investors. I'm sure they are just aiming low on paper for the same reason but clearly know they will do over 20 millions.

Figures for the end of 2018 show 2.69m on shelves, why would 2.5m at the end of 2019 be so unfeasible?

Regardless ~2.5m more is the adjusted figure. Previously it was around 3m.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Ok, I am looking at upcoming 3rd party software.  The games list for Japan looks radically different from the rest of the world.  Just going to compare Japan to the US here, but Europe is not too different from the US.

Japan
Persona 5 Scramble ---> JRPG 
My Hero One's Justice 2 ---> anime
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 ---> anime
Kotoba no Puzzle: Mojipittan Encore ---> pure japanese game
Naruto...Ninja Storm 4... ---> anime
Utano Prince Sama...Love ---> anime
Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection
Minecraft Dungeons
LoH: Trails of Cold Steel 3 ---> JRPG
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Mega Mix ---> some typical japanese stuff
Trials of Mana
Just Dance 2020 ---> late release

US
Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition
Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection
Eastward
Swimsanity!
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics
Panzer Dragoon: Remake
Snack World: The Dungeon Crawl - Gold
Minecraft Dungeons
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
The Outer Worlds
One Finger Death Punch 2
Samurai Shodown
Trials of Mana

These lists are radically different.  I highlighted the 3 games that appeared on both lists.  And I know Just Dance 2020 has a later release date in Japan.  But for the most part it looks like Japan and the rest of the world are getting radically different third party games.  I know Japan is a small market that rarely buys Western games, but I would think the Japanese would export their games more.  The US, for example, is a pretty big market.  What gives Japan?

Games are strongly related to animes in Japan. 

Mnementh said:
scottslater said:

Doom 64 - March 20th

People are too fast claiming system sellers. I would reign that in a bit, at least for some of these games.

The Outer Worlds: All we know about it's sales is that it 'exceeded expectations', whatever that means. But it got a multiplatform release and is a late port on Switch. I doubt it's system seller abilities even if it sells well, for multiple reasons. It is a more core game, so the gamers most likely already own a console, either PS4, XB1 or Switch. If it is PS4 or XB1 they already bought it for that platform. If it is Switch, the game sells no Switch. Only few gamers will decide for Switch, after this game enters the library. The oners of Switches though may buy this game (myself included) so good sales are possible, just not much in driving the Switch-sales.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: This is a surprise as I looked up past sales it seems the best-selling past releases could close to five million. If the current entry sells in this ballpark this would be extremely cool. There is no Mystery Dungeon game (Pokemon or otherwise) on Switch so far (as far as I know). There are lot of other roguelikes on Switch, but Mystery Dungeon usually has a slightly different target group. So with multi-million sales and a customer group not yet covered, this could very well a smaller system seller.

Doom 64: This is  on March 20th? I thought Doom Eternal? Either way. The ones who want to play Doom mobile, already came for Doom 2016 or for the original Doom 1+2. It probably sells great, but not to people still not owning a Switch.

Animal Crossing: Yeah, this without a doubt is a system-seller.

I think The Outer Worlds and Doom will perform better than expected and it gives people that don't have a Switch yet an even better reason to get one.  With the massive selling of Pokemon games right now Mystery Dungeon will be another popular hit and will help sell systems.  But all that said, when I was saying system sellers I was more speaking to just Animal Crossing in particular with the other games helping sell systems in a much smaller degree and with all those games coming in one month it helps with system selling.

Nintendo with the Switch:

Barkley said:
xMetroid said:

Figures for the end of 2018 show 2.69m on shelves, why would 2.5m at the end of 2019 be so unfeasible?

Regardless ~2.5m more is the adjusted figure. Previously it was around 3m.

Oh well my bad, this is crazy to me but i guess 2.5 millions makes more sense than 3 millions for sure. 

Super Mario Maker 2 sold not as good as I have expected. It was such a big hit on Wii U, but it seems that its sales have been cannibalized by NSMBUD. Two 2D Mario games within 6 months was maybe not a good idea.