By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Results (Switch 52.48m, Pokemon 16m)

Amnesia said:
RolStoppable said:

There are only three months left in the fiscal year. It would look terrible to investors if Nintendo's leadership was incapable of providing a close to accurate forecast for such a short timeframe, so there's no sense in announcing 19.5m when 20.0m would be an absolutely sure thing.

Nintendo will have the usual Q&A session with investors and its translation will be on Nintendo's corporate website by next week. One obvious question that an investor will ask is why the forecast for the rest of the fiscal year is so low and Nintendo's predictable response will be that stock levels will have to be corrected, just like one year ago. Nintendo will also say that it's pretty normal for a stock level correction to occur after a holiday quarter, so it will all be business as usual.

I am not sure Nintendo has to justify themself about adjusting stock or not. If UK was severly under supplied, I would expect other country to be just fine without too much stock overall. I had a different theory not mentioned here :

If they had announced 20 or 20.5, what would have been then the FY2021 forecast ?...This would have not allowed them a lot of margin, they would have announced more ?... Or a bit less ? admitting that FY2021 would be the decline year of the Switch ? Starting from 19,5M, they can then announce a safe 20M to show that they still forecast progression for the switch. Capitalism is just about "always more, more and MORE..."

Once Nintendo announces a weaker forecast on year N compared to year N-1, the stock could collapse quickly.

You keep acting like those numbers are hard to achieve when they are actually too low compared to what the switch will sell.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
colafitte said:

Fantastic hardware numbers and even more awesome 1st party sales. A few notes from this data:

- Top 10 1st party Switch games sums between them 131'54M from the 310'65M total, a 42%. Wikipedia says Switch has around 2000 games in total..., so around 2000 games have sold the 179'11M left. The disparity between 1st party and 3rd party must be enormous. I wonder how many Switch games have surpassed 1M in sales....

2000 games includes digital only titles which are not included in Nintendo's figures.

How much must be the digital ratio on Switch??, around 20%, more? less? (i'm honestly asking, because i'm not really sure).

Nu-13 said:
Amnesia said:

I am not sure Nintendo has to justify themself about adjusting stock or not. If UK was severly under supplied, I would expect other country to be just fine without too much stock overall. I had a different theory not mentioned here :

If they had announced 20 or 20.5, what would have been then the FY2021 forecast ?...This would have not allowed them a lot of margin, they would have announced more ?... Or a bit less ? admitting that FY2021 would be the decline year of the Switch ? Starting from 19,5M, they can then announce a safe 20M to show that they still forecast progression for the switch. Capitalism is just about "always more, more and MORE..."

Once Nintendo announces a weaker forecast on year N compared to year N-1, the stock could collapse quickly.

You keep acting like those numbers are hard to achieve when they are actually too low compared to what the switch will sell.

No I just try to bring the view as (very small) investor. The thing with the forecast is not to predict the reality but to impress investors to attract more cash. If they would announce 20 today, it would make them in a delicate position to announce a risky 21. No one can predict what impact will have the PS5 and series X, the only one similar example of under-powered console fighting against bruteforce consoles is the Wii against the 360 and PS3, and we have seen the collapse of the sales. I see people believing into a "counter offensive of power" with the Switch Pro...This is ridiculous, at best this new version will just reduce a little bit the huge gap with the base XBOX1...I think they can't hold on then after winter 2020-2021. So they won't sell 23 and then 25 M on the 2 following fiscal years.

I would like to see how much M+R sold, i'm sure it is over 5 millions by now.

RolStoppable said:
colafitte said:

Fantastic hardware numbers and even more awesome 1st party sales. A few notes from this data:

- Top 10 1st party Switch games sums between them 131'54M from the 310'65M total, a 42%. Wikipedia says Switch has around 2000 games in total..., so around 2000 games have sold the 179'11M left. The disparity between 1st party and 3rd party must be enormous. I wonder how many Switch games have surpassed 1M in sales....

- Pokemon Sword & Shield with 16M in just a few weeks is ridiculous...., but i don't expect Pokemon games to have muchmore legs, at least not like Zelda, MK or Smash, so we'll see where the game ends in the rankings.

(...)

On those two points:

1. Only games that have either both a retail and digital version or are exclusively available at retail contribute to the software total, so it's not anywhere close to 2,000 titles. Nintendo's financials list the number of games per region; Japan has 412, Americas 543 and Europe 549. The majority of those title counts overlaps because most games are available worldwide, so the number of unique titles is probably ~600. Third parties are unsurprisingly not going to see big sales when they refrain from investing; a large number of their games are ports of old titles. Nintendo has stated that five third party titles have shipped 1m+ units during the nine months of the current fiscal year and people are trying to figure out which ones. That's the kind of exercise that makes you realize how few big third party games have been released for Switch, because it's hard to think of 2019 releases that have had a realistic chance to sell 1m+.

2.  With Sword/Shield going the expansion route instead of a third version or something similar to it, it's safe to say that it will have better legs than most Pokémon games. 25m lifetime is certainly in the cards.

Thank you for the info (and for that Google spreadsheet, good work). That number you give makes much more sense. And yes... if Sw/SH can extend the game's life through expansions, 20M must be a certainty, but i still believe 25M is going to be too much...., but i've been wrong with Nintendo software before, so maybe it happens.

Around the Network
Amnesia said:
Nu-13 said:

No I just try to bring the view as (very small) investor. The thing with the forecast is not to predict the reality but to impress investors to attract more cash. If they would announce 20 today, it would make them in a delicate position to announce a risky 21. No one can predict what impact will have the PS5 and series X, the only one similar example of under-powered console fighting against bruteforce consoles is the Wii against the 360 and PS3, and we have seen the collapse of the sales. I see people believing into a "counter offensive of power" with the Switch Pro...This is ridiculous, at best this new version will just reduce a little bit the huge gap with the base XBOX1...I think they can't hold on then after winter 2020-2021. So they won't sell 23 and then 25 M on the 2 following fiscal years.

21M ISN'T RISKY. They are just lowballing it.

zorg1000 said:
colafitte said:

2000 games includes digital only titles which are not included in Nintendo's figures.

Yeah, you can see at the bottom of this pdf that much less than 2000 games is counted https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200130e.pdf

The "New Titles" for life to date show there have been 633 retail games released in Europe, the highest of any region.

AC is one big seller arriving in a few weeks another potential big seller is the game I picked alongside Luigi's Mansion to sell a potential 10m and that was Tomodachi.

RolStoppable said:
Amnesia said:

Your theory is 100% nonsensical and here's why:

It doesn't matter what Nintendo forecasts because hardware shipments will ultimately judged by actual performance. For example, if Switch managed 20.5m this fiscal year, it wouldn't matter at all if Nintendo forecasted 19.5m, 20.0m or 20.5m, because the actual performance of 20.5m would be the measuring stick going forward in any case.

Secondly, what the stock market is really looking at is the bottom line of a company, so it's about expected profits/losses. Even a company that makes a loss of $1 billion can see their stock rise when their forecast was a loss of $1.5 billion, because they performed above expectations. Now as an example, if Nintendo finished this fiscal year with 19.5m and then forecasted 19.0m for the following fiscal year, that's not necessary going to hurt the stock; because what is important is their profit forecast and that might very well be higher despite lower hardware shipments. That's because software is more profitable and software sales continue to grow even when the hardware has already reached a plateau. In short, you are too obsessed with hardware shipments when it comes to stock price.

hmm. Ok. And by the way, what would be your explanation for that (I have fucking no clue) :

As for third party games that could have possibly sold 1M from April-December this year I'd think these are the possibilities:

New releases:
Mortal Kombat 11
Fifa 20
Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
Just Dance 2020
Mario & Sonic at the Olympics
Witcher 3

Old releases:
Minecraft
Hollow Knight
Mario + Rabbids Battle Kingdom

Specific case:
Dragon Quest XIS - While I do think this has sold 1M+ across Japan and rotw, I could imagine Nintendo considering this as 2 differences releases because of different publishers. Octopath Traveler for instance, the numbers we received by Nintendo for that game did not includes sales for the Japanese release. So really, Nintendo has weird ways..

My guesses:
Minecraft
Hollow Knight
Witcher 3
Crash Team Racing
Just Dance

If DQXIS counts, I'd scratch Hollow Knight.