By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Results (Switch 52.48m, Pokemon 16m)

KingofTrolls said:

Switch's launch price was already 100$ lower than PS4 Amateur, and Lite is even more cheaper. Moreover, basically a half of Switch's sales, in some years more than a half, is done in Christmas/Black Friday period, while PS4 is closer to 35%.

What is happening right now, with Sony still not cutting prices and limits the amount of units with discounts during holidays, is insane.

Yeah, my experience is to get all Switch-related hype with a grain of salt, and it is still working.

So what? They are two different kinds of products. If PS5 is cheaper than Xbox Series X, can we then downplay PS5 sales because of this? Obviously not. Switch is selling just as fast as the PS4 did, if not slightly faster. The Switches lower price compared to PS4 at launch is a feature. It's a selling point, just like Sony used the PS4's power as a selling point (and that power came with a higher price tag). Why hold it against Nintendo that they are a clever company and designed their product the way the market wanted it? And just as a side note: There was a time when people said the Switch was way too expensive and would fail because of that. 

And why would you take the Switch-related hype with a grain of salt? We went from Nintendo going third party, to the Switch selling less than 20m units, to the Switch outselling the Xbox One, to the console being quite certain to cross the 100m units mark and now it looks like it can match lifetime PS4 sales. Why knowingly set yourself up to be proven wrong time and again? Basically, the optimists have been right each and every time. The Switch is obviously having a good run and has a great chance of beating its 2019 performance this year if the software-lineup is strong enough.

Around the Network
Louie said:
KingofTrolls said:

Switch's launch price was already 100$ lower than PS4 Amateur, and Lite is even more cheaper. Moreover, basically a half of Switch's sales, in some years more than a half, is done in Christmas/Black Friday period, while PS4 is closer to 35%.

What is happening right now, with Sony still not cutting prices and limits the amount of units with discounts during holidays, is insane.

Yeah, my experience is to get all Switch-related hype with a grain of salt, and it is still working.

So what? They are two different kinds of products. If PS5 is cheaper than Xbox Series X, can we then downplay PS5 sales because of this? Obviously not. Switch is selling just as fast as the PS4 did, if not slightly faster. The Switches lower price compared to PS4 at launch is a feature. It's a selling point, just like Sony used the PS4's power as a selling point (and that power came with a higher price tag). Why hold it against Nintendo that they are a clever company and designed their product the way the market wanted it? And just as a side note: There was a time when people said the Switch was way too expensive and would fail because of that. 

And why would you take the Switch-related hype with a grain of salt? We went from Nintendo going third party, to the Switch selling less than 20m units, to the Switch outselling the Xbox One, to the console being quite certain to cross the 100m units mark and now it looks like it can match lifetime PS4 sales. Why knowingly set yourself up to be proven wrong time and again? Basically, the optimists have been right each and every time. The Switch is obviously having a good run and has a great chance of beating its 2019 performance this year if the software-lineup is strong enough.

1. I bet he will not answer this.. Nice :)

2. Look at his name

Jranation said:
Omg! Splatoon is sooo close to 10mil!!!!
Everything did so well! But I expected FE3H to reach 3mil. Hopefully it still can before the next FE game.

It will definitely hit 3m this year, but there is a rumor that a Fire Emblem remake was in the works for 3DS and got moved to the Switch, which I could see coming out this year or early next. I would argue that Three Houses will hit 4m before the next mainline game as I personally do not expect to see that until 2022 or 2023, depending on how prioritized it is.

My guess is 2022 because of the success of Three Houses and Heroes.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

siebensus4 said:
Super Mario Maker 2 sold not as good as I have expected. It was such a big hit on Wii U, but it seems that its sales have been cannibalized by NSMBUD. Two 2D Mario games within 6 months was maybe not a good idea.

It did better than the original on Wii U--the difference is there was a lot more content created for it when it was on the Wii U so it made it seem like it sold a lot more than it did, it only sold 4m. You don't see the large amount of content with the sequel. 

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Paatar said:
Jranation said:
Omg! Splatoon is sooo close to 10mil!!!!
Everything did so well! But I expected FE3H to reach 3mil. Hopefully it still can before the next FE game.

It will definitely hit 3m this year, but there is a rumor that a Fire Emblem remake was in the works for 3DS and got moved to the Switch, which I could see coming out this year or early next. I would argue that Three Houses will hit 4m before the next mainline game as I personally do not expect to see that until 2022 or 2023, depending on how prioritized it is.

My guess is 2022 because of the success of Three Houses and Heroes.

Tbh with the DLC out this year I think they'd keep that for next year as to not divert attention from TH.

Around the Network
Louie said:

So what? They are two different kinds of products. If PS5 is cheaper than Xbox Series X, can we then downplay PS5 sales because of this? Obviously not. Switch is selling just as fast as the PS4 did, if not slightly faster. The Switches lower price compared to PS4 at launch is a feature. It's a selling point, just like Sony used the PS4's power as a selling point (and that power came with a higher price tag). Why hold it against Nintendo that they are a clever company and designed their product the way the market wanted it?

2.And just as a side note: There was a time when people said the Switch was way too expensive and would fail because of that. 

3.And why would you take the Switch-related hype with a grain of salt? We went from Nintendo going third party, to the Switch selling less than 20m units, to the Switch outselling the Xbox One, to the console being quite certain to cross the 100m units mark and now it looks like it can match lifetime PS4 sales.

4.Why knowingly set yourself up to be proven wrong time and again? Basically, the optimists have been right each and every time. The Switch is obviously having a good run and has a great chance of beating its 2019 performance this year if the software-lineup is strong enough.

Okay, this is reasonable enough to treat it seriously. So far, in this launch-aligned battle, we have:

1. PS4 Amateur( 1st model ) with 50$ price cut in October 2015.

2. Switch Lite with 100$ price cut. And new version - the same price - with better battery life.

Which cut is bigger? Who is throwing more help?

2. People say different things.

3.Because, it has a bad habit of turning into BS after closer inspection. <sadpanda.meme>

4. Am I proven wrong time and time again? No. OG Switch=OG PS4 so far ( okay, perhaps with a minimal advantage). My reasoning is that I compare one thing to another thing.

KingofTrolls said:
Nu-13 said:

You expect 0 units in transit/on shelves after the next quarter?

No, but I dont see Switch doin a lot better than N's forecast. They have to dry up the storage, and there is no point in building huge stock in the middle of the calendar year.

Hahahahaha good joke. I'll take that bet. I say Nintendo will ship more than 1.7m this quarter, especially with Animal Crossing launching in it. Let's see if you will put your money where your mouth is.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

RolStoppable said:

If it helps you to feel more comfortable, there are others like you who lie to themselves to cope with Nintendo's success. Know that you are not alone.

I have rated you better than this.

Alcyon said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Ok, I am looking at upcoming 3rd party software.  The games list for Japan looks radically different from the rest of the world.  Just going to compare Japan to the US here, but Europe is not too different from the US.

Japan
Persona 5 Scramble ---> JRPG 
My Hero One's Justice 2 ---> anime
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 ---> anime
Kotoba no Puzzle: Mojipittan Encore ---> pure japanese game
Naruto...Ninja Storm 4... ---> anime
Utano Prince Sama...Love ---> anime
Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection
Minecraft Dungeons
LoH: Trails of Cold Steel 3 ---> JRPG
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Mega Mix ---> some typical japanese stuff
Trials of Mana
Just Dance 2020 ---> late release

US
Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition
Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection
Eastward
Swimsanity!
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics
Panzer Dragoon: Remake
Snack World: The Dungeon Crawl - Gold
Minecraft Dungeons
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
The Outer Worlds
One Finger Death Punch 2
Samurai Shodown
Trials of Mana

These lists are radically different.  I highlighted the 3 games that appeared on both lists.  And I know Just Dance 2020 has a later release date in Japan.  But for the most part it looks like Japan and the rest of the world are getting radically different third party games.  I know Japan is a small market that rarely buys Western games, but I would think the Japanese would export their games more.  The US, for example, is a pretty big market.  What gives Japan?

Games are strongly related to animes in Japan. 

Yeah, some of those games I understand.  But not every anime is dead on arrival in the West.  Games like Naruto and One Piece and Hatsune Miku all fall into the category of "maybe".  They have gotten ports before even if it doesn't happen 100% of the time.  And what about Persona 5 and Trails of Cold Steel 3?  There is no excuse for not porting these games.  There is a market for JRPGs in the west.  In fact Trails of Cold Steel 3 already has a fully translated version on the PS4.  They are already porting the game to Switch and the translation/localization part was already done for PS4.  Why aren't they selling this on Switch outside of Japan?

There should be more of those Japanese games coming out of Japan.  It just doesn't make any sense.

peachbuggy said:

Hahahahaha good joke. I'll take that bet. I say Nintendo will ship more than 1.7m this quarter, especially with Animal Crossing launching in it. Let's see if you will put your money where your mouth is.

What is the stake here?