By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Results (Switch 52.48m, Pokemon 16m)

Nu-13 said:
Amnesia said:

No I just try to bring the view as (very small) investor. The thing with the forecast is not to predict the reality but to impress investors to attract more cash. If they would announce 20 today, it would make them in a delicate position to announce a risky 21. No one can predict what impact will have the PS5 and series X, the only one similar example of under-powered console fighting against bruteforce consoles is the Wii against the 360 and PS3, and we have seen the collapse of the sales. I see people believing into a "counter offensive of power" with the Switch Pro...This is ridiculous, at best this new version will just reduce a little bit the huge gap with the base XBOX1...I think they can't hold on then after winter 2020-2021. So they won't sell 23 and then 25 M on the 2 following fiscal years.

21M ISN'T RISKY. They are just lowballing it.

Agreed.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

Looks like you guys don't catch it - if N has 2.5M Switch on shelves, that means they will SHIP additional 1M+ to this amount. So, to raise shipment figures, Switch have to sell more than 4M sell-through.

Last edited by KingofTrolls - on 30 January 2020

RolStoppable said:

Through twelve fiscal quarters:

Switch - 52.48m
PS4 - 47.4m

Correct me if I am wrong, but was PS4 Pro already on the market? I guess not. I mean - wasn't Lite released faster than Pro in the lifespan?

KingofTrolls said:
Looks like yu guys don't catch it - if N has 2.5M Switch on shelves, that means they will SHIP additional 1M+ to this amount.

If you are talking about now, then it's moot, as the report was up to 31st. December 2019. If you are talking about December, then GL with seeing 2.5m OG Switches on store shelves! Most had an amount of exactly 0 during mid-to-late December going by reports from the U.S. There were widespread shortages in the U.K. as well, going both by reports and personal anecdotal evidence .

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:
Nu-13 said:

21M ISN'T RISKY. They are just lowballing it.

Agreed.

Nintendo themself said "Coronavirus is Impacting Switch Production"

So mayby the "strange number" is because Nintendo dont think they can't produce enough?

(I know Lego also said the other day that they had chosen to close factories in china until mid february (so fare)

Around the Network
FromDK said:
peachbuggy said:

Agreed.

Nintendo themself said "Coronavirus is Impacting Switch Production"

So mayby the "strange number" is because Nintendo dont think they can't produce enough?

(I know Lego also said the other day that they had chosen to close factories in china until mid february (so fare)

I saw that and it could factor in why Nintendo seems to be lowballing their forecast for the last quarter. Although I thought I read somewhere that Nintendo were moving Switch production from China due to the threat of Trumps' tariffs. Regardless, Nintendo needs to meet demand this quarter otherwise there will be some disgruntled prospective Switch/animal crossing (non) purchasers out there.

KingofTrolls said:

Looks like you guys don't catch it - if N has 2.5M Switch on shelves, that means they will SHIP additional 1M+ to this amount. So, to raise shipment figures, Switch have to sell more than 4M sell-through.

You expect 0 units in transit/on shelves after the next quarter?

RolStoppable said:

PS4 Pro launched in quarter 13.

So basically OG PS4 is still neck to neck with OG Switch?

Why I am not surprised….

RolStoppable said:

Because the PS4 received a price cut while Switch did not?

Switch's launch price was already 100$ lower than PS4 Amateur, and Lite is even more cheaper. Moreover, basically a half of Switch's sales, in some years more than a half, is done in Christmas/Black Friday period, while PS4 is closer to 35%.

What is happening right now, with Sony still not cutting prices and limits the amount of units with discounts during holidays, is insane.

Yeah, my experience is to get all Switch-related hype with a grain of salt, and it is still working.

Nu-13 said:

You expect 0 units in transit/on shelves after the next quarter?

No, but I dont see Switch doin a lot better than N's forecast. They have to dry up the storage, and there is no point in building huge stock in the middle of the calendar year.