By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Results (Switch 52.48m, Pokemon 16m)

wow, very satisfying to know!! Nintendo truly is a spark of light in the darkness of modern gaming :)

I hope SW/SH sales send the message that the pokemon fanbase will grow as long as they keep investing into it

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Metroid33slayer said:

Vgchartz already has switch at 1.5m sold in the first 4 weeks of January, just click on the year to date tab of the hardware bar chart. We know with famitsu sales it sold 560k in Japan this year alone. To me Nintendo forecasting 1.77m for Q4 is a joke and they are going low just to curb expectations to a ridiculous level. Last year they shipped 2.45m with just a port of new mario bros u and yoshi, if it doesn't sell 3m plus i will be shocked.

Enough of this "Nintendo is deliberately forecasting way under what they will achieve" line of thinking. This has to stop.

One factor to remember is that last year they shipped 2.45m while selling through more than 3m (VGC estimates 3.27m), so sell-through exceeds shipments at times.

Another factor that has yet to be mentioned in this thread is that Nintendo CEO Furukawa issued a statement that the coronavirus is impacting Switch production in China. That statement was ambiguous, so I hope that the Q&A session with investors can provide more clarity in the coming days. It's possible that there will be a temporary halt of production at one or multiple Chinese factories which would result in lower shipments and possibly shortages in the market space towards the end of the quarter. So excess stock from the holiday season might not be the sole reason for Nintendo's low forecast, because a problem in the supply chain cannot be solved within a single quarter.

The issue here though is that there's no indication Nintendo overshipped in Q3. If anything they undershipped due to shortages in the U.S. reported from the 2nd week of December onwards and I know for a fact that the Switch was practically sold out in the U.K. right up until this week (in some places), a bit earlier in others.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

KingofTrolls said:
peachbuggy said:

Thought it might be. You not very confident then? Well I will accept 1 month. So the terms are:- I say the Switch family of devices will ship more than 1.7m WW between 1 Jan 2020 and 31st. March 2020. You say it won't. Winner gets avatar control of loser for a month. Deal?

I will not risk my avatar beause Switch shipments that I don't care at all myself.

One month:

Ok, deal!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Big thanks to whichever mod  fixed the glitched formatting in the OP, much obliged!

Looks like Splatoon 2 joins the 10 million club in the next couple of months; it's been so crazy watching the franchise go from many expecting it to be DOA to selling 8 figures.

And while they're not for me, it's still nice to see Astral Chain pass a million and Ring Fit Adventure 2 million, both also games many predicted would sell poorly.

Admittedly, I'm also happy to see NSMBUD selling less than I expected given it's a regurgitated port of a game that was already lazy garbage in 2012.

Kinda expected more from Mario Maker 2, but on the flipside at least Luigi's Mansion 3 is doing great and already on the brink of becoming the best selling game in series in just two months.

With six 10-million-plus sellers already and three more on the way (SMP, Splatoon 2, AC) Switch is closing in on the Wii's ten.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 January 2020

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Looks like Splatoon 2 joins the 10 million club in the next couple of months; it's been so crazy watching the franchise go from many expecting it to be DOA to selling 8 figures.

And while they're not for me, it's still nice to see Astral Chain pass a million and Ring Fit Adventure 2 million, both also games many predicted would sell poorly.

Admittedly, I'm also happy to see NSMBUD selling less than I expected given it's a regurgitated port of a game that was already lazy garbage in 2012.

Kinda expected more from Mario Maker 2, but on the flipside at least Luigi's Mansion 3 is doing great and already on the brink of becoming the best selling game in series in just two months.

With six 10-million-plus sellers already and three more on the way (SMP, Splatoon 2, AC) Switch is closing in on the Wii's ten.

What did you expect for NSMBUD, 15m lifetime?

Something like that, I didn't have an exact estimate in mind, just that it'd sell better than this. Just glad to see Switch owners have some standards! :p

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Metroid33slayer said:

Vgchartz already has switch at 1.5m sold in the first 4 weeks of January, just click on the year to date tab of the hardware bar chart. We know with famitsu sales it sold 560k in Japan this year alone. To me Nintendo forecasting 1.77m for Q4 is a joke and they are going low just to curb expectations to a ridiculous level. Last year they shipped 2.45m with just a port of new mario bros u and yoshi, if it doesn't sell 3m plus i will be shocked.

Enough of this "Nintendo is deliberately forecasting way under what they will achieve" line of thinking. This has to stop.

One factor to remember is that last year they shipped 2.45m while selling through more than 3m (VGC estimates 3.27m), so sell-through exceeds shipments at times.

Another factor that has yet to be mentioned in this thread is that Nintendo CEO Furukawa issued a statement that the coronavirus is impacting Switch production in China. That statement was ambiguous, so I hope that the Q&A session with investors can provide more clarity in the coming days. It's possible that there will be a temporary halt of production at one or multiple Chinese factories which would result in lower shipments and possibly shortages in the market space towards the end of the quarter. So excess stock from the holiday season might not be the sole reason for Nintendo's low forecast, because a problem in the supply chain cannot be solved within a single quarter.

With the outbreak, one would hope all 3 shipped enough in the holiday season to create a decent buffer until it gets sorted out.  Hopefully, the sorting doesn't take long.

@OP

Great quarter for Nintendo.

~52.5 million in just 2 years and 10 months.
100 million units lifetime is a lock now. That should be the absolute minimum of everyone's predictions.
As amazing as those numbers are, it's the software sales that really blow me away!

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe already at ~23 million? That puts it just 0.60 million below Mario Kart DS for the #2 best selling Mario Kart game of all time. Hell, it may have already done it as I'm typing this! Not only is catching Mario Kart Wii looking like a much bigger possibility, this game has a chance to top Super Mario Bros. as the #1 best selling console Mario game, ever. After 35 years and still counting, this could actually happen. Not saying it will, but it could.

Smash Bros. Ultimate and Super Mario Odyssey continue to raise the bars of their respective franchises (Smash Bros. and 3D Mario) to astronomical new heights. They'll reach 20 million, and then some, before long. Speaking of astronomical new heights, Breath of the Wild continues to do so for Zelda. The Switch version alone has now outsold Ocarina of Time + the Wii & GC versions of Twilight Princess COMBINED! Furthermore, it's on track to surpass Super Mario Odyssey later this year. Which would mark the 1st time ever where a mainline Zelda game, 2D or 3D, has outsold a mainline Mario game, 2D or 3D, on the same system. With 20 million around the corner + the sequel to Breath of the Wild on the way, Zelda is on top of the world right now!

Pokemon Sword/Shield shipping 16.06 million in just 1 1/2 months. Already surpassing Black/White and nearly matching X/Y and Sun/Moon's lifetime totals. It's probably already done so by now. I'm one of the people who have been very critical of Sword/Shield's direction and Game Freak's decision making with the franchise as of late and I hope they don't take the wrong idea from these sales. However, that doesn't make it any less impressive. Sword/Shield should pass Diamond/Pearl for #3 on Pokemon's all time list before long. Another likely 20 million seller and may even have a shot at catching Gold/Silver depending on its legs for the rest of the Switch's life cycle.

Luigi's Mansion 3 is at 5.37 million units already with exactly 2 months on the market. Luigi's Mansion 2 on the 3DS currently has 6.16 million units lifetime. Ring Fit Adventure at over 2 million units, given all the shortages and stock issues it had throughout the holidays is impressive. This is one title to definitely keep an eye on. Splatoon 2 is soooo close to 10 million, just a little more! Super Mario Party is now officially the #2 best selling Mario Party game of all time and is just 0.21 million away from passing the #1 title, Mario Party DS. Astral Chain passing 1 million is very impressive for the title. Platinum Games and Nintendo both have to be pleased about that and bears very favorable news for Bayonetta 3. MUA 3 also passing 1 million has to please Marvel. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe actually outshipped Super Mario Maker last quarter, 1.26 to 1.11 million units.

A few underwhelming stuff here and there. Fire Emblem: Three Houses only going up to 2.58 million from the 2.29 million it was at the prior quarter. Link's Awakening only going from 3.13 to 4.19 million during the holidays. It's still enough to make the Switch version the best selling version of Link's Awakening, and I'm sure it'll outsell the combined 5.05 million total of both the original GB and enhanced GBC versions, which would also put it as the #2 best selling 2D Zelda game of all time behind Zelda 1. But, I was expecting more. Maybe Breath of the Wild just made me place my expectations a little too high, I don't know.

But overall, I just find the software sales to be the most impressive aspect of all of this. We're looking at 5 games selling over 20 million units on the Switch, 6 if you want to include Animal Crossing, which I will. Because, I see no reason as to why that game can't pull it off. For comparison, the Wii had 7 games over that mark; The DS had 3.
Just an absolutely amazing success story that the Switch has become for Nintendo after the dark depths they were in the final years of the Wii U. Now, as we enter would could possibly be the system's peak year, the sky's the limit for the Nintendo Switch!

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 31 January 2020

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Something like that, I didn't have an exact estimate in mind, just that it'd sell better than this. Just glad to see Switch owners have some standards! :p

It might get to 15m eventually. Nintendo's resistance against making 2D Mario games is strong, so if NSMBUD remains the market's only choice, then the market will take a lacking 2D Mario over no 2D Mario.

If only they'd just make a 2D Mario with as much put into it as 3D Mario already. I still feel like World was the last time they really gave 2D Mario the treatment it deserves.

curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

It might get to 15m eventually. Nintendo's resistance against making 2D Mario games is strong, so if NSMBUD remains the market's only choice, then the market will take a lacking 2D Mario over no 2D Mario.

If only they'd just make a 2D Mario with as much put into it as 3D Mario already. I still feel like World was the last time they really gave 2D Mario the treatment it deserves.

It's because it's true. I dream of a super mario world 2 on the switch, fully hand drawn 2d.

The software numbers are so amazing that it's hard to notice the achievement right away. To put things into perspective, the previously best selling nintendo home console (the wii) had several record breaking sales for some of nintendo's franchises. However, the likes of mario galaxy, twilight princess and smash brawl "only" sold a few million units more than the previous record holders. On the switch, those franchises are on track to more than double (or get close) the 2nd place numbers and other franchises are also breaking records. It's just incredible.