By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Results (Switch 52.48m, Pokemon 16m)

curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

It might get to 15m eventually. Nintendo's resistance against making 2D Mario games is strong, so if NSMBUD remains the market's only choice, then the market will take a lacking 2D Mario over no 2D Mario.

If only they'd just make a 2D Mario with as much put into it as 3D Mario already. I still feel like World was the last time they really gave 2D Mario the treatment it deserves.

You arent giving Mario Land 2 the credit it deserves.

Also I would say NSMB on DS & Wii were given effort, the problem was the 3DS & Wii U entries were too samey and released too close to each other.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Three Houses had a bad holiday season, perhaps? A 300K increase, only.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

If only they'd just make a 2D Mario with as much put into it as 3D Mario already. I still feel like World was the last time they really gave 2D Mario the treatment it deserves.

You arent giving Mario Land 2 the credit it deserves.

Also I would say NSMB on DS & Wii were given effort, the problem was the 3DS & Wii U entries were too samey and released too close to each other.

NSMBWii (I didn't play the portable ones) wasn't bad, but it didn't feel like as much love and creativity was poured into it as Mario Bros/Bros 3/World, to me anyway.

Switch sell-through was over 48 million at the end of 2019.

Adjustments need to be made, as Rol stated earlier.

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-discusses-how-it-will-keep-switch-growing-in-year-four-and-beyond/

"March of 2020 will mark three full years since the launch of Nintendo Switch and the start of its fourth year of sales. According to the conventional wisdom for dedicated video game platforms, Nintendo Switch should be entering the midway phase of the hardware lifecycle. But we believe we have built a foundation on which we can pursue further growth opportunities for Nintendo Switch." -  Nintendo CEO Furukawa

Looks like those predicting/advocating for a Switch successor next year aren't gonna get it.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Metroid33slayer said:

Vgchartz already has switch at 1.5m sold in the first 4 weeks of January, just click on the year to date tab of the hardware bar chart. We know with famitsu sales it sold 560k in Japan this year alone. To me Nintendo forecasting 1.77m for Q4 is a joke and they are going low just to curb expectations to a ridiculous level. Last year they shipped 2.45m with just a port of new mario bros u and yoshi, if it doesn't sell 3m plus i will be shocked.

Enough of this "Nintendo is deliberately forecasting way under what they will achieve" line of thinking. This has to stop.

One factor to remember is that last year they shipped 2.45m while selling through more than 3m (VGC estimates 3.27m), so sell-through exceeds shipments at times.

Another factor that has yet to be mentioned in this thread is that Nintendo CEO Furukawa issued a statement that the coronavirus is impacting Switch production in China. That statement was ambiguous, so I hope that the Q&A session with investors can provide more clarity in the coming days. It's possible that there will be a temporary halt of production at one or multiple Chinese factories which would result in lower shipments and possibly shortages in the market space towards the end of the quarter. So excess stock from the holiday season might not be the sole reason for Nintendo's low forecast, because a problem in the supply chain cannot be solved within a single quarter.

There's no reason it can't be both. Nintendo has typically been conservative with their projections. The Switch was originally only projected to sell 10 million. Even this year's projection was too low. Nintendo sees the issues with oversupply and the coronavirus hurting the supply chain so they under project in the chase there was an issue and they couldn't meet their projection. The virus is going to make things uncertain for a while so they have no way of knowing the effect on the supply chain. This would still be a conservative thinking on it. Even if it's more likely they will beat the forecast, they leave themselves that room if they can't.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

RolStoppable said:
p0isonparadise said:
Switch sell-through was over 48 million at the end of 2019.

Adjustments need to be made, as Rol stated earlier.

If that 48m figure is from presentation material, then it's likely that it has an asterisk that notes that some specific regions aren't included, because that's how it has been in previous years too.

Looks like sell-through is just Japan, North America, and EU.

RolStoppable said:

Three Houses has been a success story, so what more could you possibly want. 

Legs, just for the sake of seeing the game prolonging its success, or at least a stellar year closure. What the game did during its launch window is certainly spectacular, but it's a shame it didn't go a little beyond that. Just that. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I wish we could find out the sales of other first party titles like ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Even though those reached over a million or 2 in sales, they got lost in the sales shuffle when other titles released like Kirby Star Allies, DKC: TF, Super Mario Party, Smash Ultimate, etc.