By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the decade: The 1990s

The third one def deserves to be higher than the second.

Too many but hurt fans I guess.

Around the Network
SwitchUP said:
It's not even close. Ocarina of time. From mario 64 to ocarina of time, Nintendo was literally teaching the gaming world how to make good 3d games. Ocarina of time is #1 and mario 64 is #2.

That's not really true. ID Software, Epic and Valve add had pretty epic looking and playing 3D games on PC.

They certainly led the way on console though.

My personal games of the decade would be in no order.

Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Quake, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Little Big Adventure 2, Curse of Monkey Island

I was a PC gamer back then, RTS genre was king. Out of AoE, C&C and WC series I enjoyed C&C the most.

From the console side, the one that has stuck with me the most is SoR2.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 28 January 2020

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Cobretti2 said:
The third one def deserves to be higher than the second.

Too many but hurt fans I guess.

Wrong thread maybe?

Signature goes here!

Super Mario Kart - Just so fun
FF7 - Made FF into the giant is is now, shame SquEnix aren't capitalising on this
Crash 2 - personal fav
Sim City 2000 - Like seriously, this game is sooo good yet people forget it all the time.
Championship Manager 3 - A lot of people, not even obsessed gamers like us, would have played an iteration of this game.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

StarCraft: Brood War for me.

Superbly balanced RTS but with three very distinctive races. Online multiplayer well ahead of its time, especially when it came to custom maps (UMS). Whenever I got bored of playing proper games I'd spend hours and hours exploring various UMS. Particularly loved the various tower defence games, Bounds maps, Tricks races, Beat the Lava co-op, Siege maps, and especially the co-op ones where you had limited resources to spend on units and would have to work together to out-micro the AI (forgot the name of those), and on and on. Just so much content.

Oh and its impact on esports, thanks to South Korea. StarCraft was the first game that had me watching pro matches (via the in-game replay system), trying to borrow build orders and strats to use in my own games.

Hard to pick one for a decade. My choices would be

Donkey Kong Country 3
Age of Empires 2
Super Mario World
Ocarina of Time

DOOM
Metal Gear Solid

Any order you like

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

For me its a tie between..

Half Life & Homeworld

A honorable mention to..

Warcraft 3 - Mario 64 - Perfect Dark

Last edited by Azzanation - on 28 January 2020

Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 8, Mario 64, Metal Gear Solid, Ocarina of Time.

Hard for me to chose, but I'll say Metal Gear Solid because it introduced me to a new genre, and franchise I didn't think I'd be so interested in. 

TomaTito said:

From the console side, the one that has stuck with me the most is SoR2.

I preferred RoS2

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.