By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the decade: The 1990s

Donkey Kong Country - everything about the game is marvelous, from the graphics/atmosphere to the music, solid mechanics, appealing gameplay. Perfect balance of simplicity and difficulty. I'd actually probably throw DKC2 in here as well. While it wasn't quite as iconic and charming, Rare fleshed out the gameplay and difficulty making for a more thrilling and in-depth experience. Some of the best music in gaming on both fronts too.

Secret of Mana - super fun, rich, action-packed RPG that's a blast both in single and multiplayer

Mario RPG - my first RPG and still my favorite (along with Secret of Mana). Just a super satisfying, addictive game with really fun combat and some amusing story/dialogue.

Late SNES era stuff is my jam so maybe I'm a bit biased but those are far and away my favorites of the decade. 

"We hold these truths t-be self-ful evident. All men and women created by the.. Go-you know the.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

Technically it's The Legend of Dragoon for me, sinceit was released in Japan in the 90s, but it didn't come out in Europe until 2001. If we don't count that, then it's Freespace 2.

See people have mentioned a lot of great games already, I'll throw in Baldur's Gate.

Smash TV

Wheel me out to the curb for garbage day

Super Metroid. Still a masterpiece 25 years later. Not many games can pass the test of time as well as this one

Around the Network

Age of Empires II, by far. The best RTS ever made to date.

Other great games were Pokemon Red/Blue, Chronno Trigger...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Chrono Trigger, Suikoden 2, FF6, A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Ocarina of Time. Too many of my favorite games came out in the 90s, I dont think I can choose 1 game as "game of the decade".

Such a great decade, many of my Top 50 games come from that era but if I had to choose I'd go with Chrono Trigger. It's the perfect RPG, it has tons of charm, a fun story, a kickass soundtrack, multiple endings, it makes use of the time travel element really well both in the storyline and for the end game sidequests.

As a bonus, here's all the games from the 90s that are among my favorite of all time : 

#1: Chrono Trigger

#4: StarCraft: Brood War

#5: Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

#6: Final Fantasy VII

#7 : Super Mario 64

#10: Secret of Mana

#11: Final Fantasy VI

#12: Metal Gear Solid

#15: Final Fantasy IV

#17: Super Metroid

#22: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

#28: Super Mario World

#29: Resident Evil 2

#30: Donkey Kong Country

#37: Mario Kart 64

#39: Battletoads

#42: Super Castlevania IV

#44: Star Fox 64

#46: Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

#47: Super Punch Out!!

Signature goes here!

BraLoD said:
The Legend of Dragoon.

Any other pick is cientifically proven to be wrong.

LOL

show me the thesis

OTBWY said:
Pretty obvious. It's Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. I don't think I need to say why but the game was truly revolutionary and just that good. A definitive shift in the franchise but also influential to many other games since.

Good yes, but I can't put it in my top 5.

Best of the 90's for me would be something like this:

1] FFVII

2] Castlevania: SotN

3] Streets of Rage 2

4] R4: Ridge Racer Type 4

5] Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos