By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The LGBT thread (Revisited)

Jaicee said:

So last time (which was way back in June) I promised to make more substantive posts to this thread. Alright, I've got something. This video caught my eye this morning, so I checked it out...

...and it just hit home with me. I've had very little success in dating myself. Of course I have several mental health issues that just make me difficult to live with really, but like Rowan says, being gay and on the asexuality spectrum also makes it qualitatively more difficult than it seems like it would otherwise be. There are just numerous issues. I cannot just assume that someone I might be interested in shares my orientation let alone an interest specifically in me, for example, because in all likelihood she doesn't.  What's more, in my particularly small and heavily religious community, it just doesn't feel that safe to be out (no one here is) and there are no gay bars or gay clubs or anything like that in town (there is THE bar); you have to travel quite a ways. And as a kid in like middle school and high school, of course things like clubs and bars weren't options for one anyway. Also, bars and clubs are just very sexual environments and casual sex isn't really of interest to me. I want a relationship.

In as far as I have been able to date other girls/women before, it has been through some combination of little miracles and no small amount of effort and also almost exclusively informal. Honestly, I've been on quite a few more fake dates with guys I've trusted (to advance the appearance of heterosexuality so people won't suspect me for being alone for so long) than I have been on real ones.

The in thing now, especially with the coronavirus out there these days, is like online dating. Those sorts of options that weren't there when I was younger being there now does help a little! But like Rowan says, you wind up mostly just being directed to men and to like women who just want to use you as a fetish (like for a "bi" threesome more likely than a date), stuff like that.

I don't know what I want out of anyone here in terms of a response, I'm just voicing a frustration. I feel like she does; just like afraid I'm going to wind up spending the rest of my life alone. Anyone else felt like that before?

While I am not LGBT, I do worry a lot that I will spend the rest of my life alone, as I am completely hopeless at courtship. The kind of complex social interactions required can be extremely difficult to pull off when you're autistic.

At 31, I've only ever had one serious relationship, and that was 7 years ago.

So while my situation is quite different from yours, the fear you describe is one I'm very familiar with. I wish you all the best in finding your match.

Around the Network
Torillian said:

So this is obviously a different situation, but I found my wife on okcupid. I prefer online dating because it makes intentions clear and obvious. Even as a straight dude I never wanted to approach women out and about because most will not be interested (just statistically) and if they aren't interested then I've just been a mild annoyance which I hate. On something like okcupid the pretense is gone. When I was on first dates I would make my goals in life clear and it felt a lot less random. If you haven't tried that particular site I would give it a shot. Still probably get a lot of threesome requests, but maybe you could focus on sending out messages yourself rather than responding to what others send. 

Edit: asking my wife (who is bi) she suggests trying to find a site specific to people looking to date women or femme people. something like Grindr for lesbians and bi women. 

Yeah, that's what I think I need. I think I need a dating service that's only for women. Every dating service on the internet is now theoretically open to lesbians, but I still get mostly male "matches" everywhere I go even after specifying that I'm only interested in women. It's like the world doesn't believe me! Even when I get matched to women, I then discover that they're only looking for friends or that they're looking for a threesome hook-up with them and their guy. And then there's catfishing (guys posing as lesbians because they're sick creeps), so I mean you can't even always trust that the "women" you get matched with are actually women. In short, dating sites and their users both act as though lesbians aren't real, at least in my experience. I think if only women were allowed on a particular dating site, that make things at least a little bit easier.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 23 August 2020

tagging again so this thread doesn't leave my buddy.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

I have a bit of an update: There doesn't appear to be any such thing as a dating site that's only for women, but I found something fairly close called Her, which is a mostly-female dating site, and it's a little more promising than the other dating services I've tried so far. It's got some issues too though.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 20 September 2020

Jaicee said:

I have a bit of an update: There doesn't appear to be any such thing as a dating site that's only for women, but I found something fairly close called Her, which is a mostly-female dating site, and it's a little more promising than the other dating services I've tried so far. It's got some issues too though.

I'm honestly amazed to hear there aren't dating sites exclusively for lesbians. Are you sure there aren't? It seems like such an obvious niche.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 September 2020

Around the Network
axumblade said:
Jaicee said:

Oh trust me. Every dating app/site comes with its own issues. That's awesome you are giving it a go though! I actually met my SO through grindr about 5 and a half years ago and we've been happy since. :) 

:O I swear you were in a long term relationship when I left mid 2015? I also met my OH on Grindr, just had to kiss a lot of good looking frogs to get there.

axumblade said:
Seece said:

:O I swear you were in a long term relationship when I left mid 2015? I also met my OH on Grindr, just had to kiss a lot of good looking frogs to get there.

We broke up in 2014 but I wasn't very active on here at that time. We both had some depression issues. 

I dated a few people before hitting it off with Joel but they were either too emotionally dependant or kept leading me on. 

I always make the joke about finding love in a homeless place in regards to grindr. People looking for relationships claim they are usually looking for hookups and those that claim to be looking for hookups are usually looking for relationships.

That's pretty much it. All the dates I had amounted to nothing more than a fumble, but then the spontanious meets, on occasion turned out to be something more.

Glad to hear you met Joel and are doing well :)

Seece said:
axumblade said:

We broke up in 2014 but I wasn't very active on here at that time. We both had some depression issues. 

I dated a few people before hitting it off with Joel but they were either too emotionally dependant or kept leading me on. 

I always make the joke about finding love in a homeless place in regards to grindr. People looking for relationships claim they are usually looking for hookups and those that claim to be looking for hookups are usually looking for relationships.

That's pretty much it. All the dates I had amounted to nothing more than a fumble, but then the spontanious meets, on occasion turned out to be something more.

Glad to hear you met Joel and are doing well :)

Pretty much think that's the norm.

Grindr is definitely one of the best outlets to 'get yourself out there'.

I met my current partner on it as a once-off hookup, then he never left.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I can get the appeal of dating apps like Grindr, but I'm really wary of them. It's all cool when the you find someone, until he asks if he could come by, sending me into a frenzy on what should I do or say next, considering my current situation.

I guess I'm not the kind of person who wants that kind of commitment for a hookup that fast, or just wants to wait for a better situation before engaging in something like that.

Here's a couple topics:

1) Hades! Haven't played it yet, but people keep recommending it to me, telling me it aims for "the queer gaze" a lot in a way that really stands out. What do you (anyone) think? Good game worth getting? What's the quality of representation here in your view?

2) Pete Buttigieg. Now that the 2020 U.S. election is officially over, I figure it's a bit safer now to open that can of worms and that this would be easily the safest place to do so. I'm looking for the opinions of the gay men here on this topic in particular. He was the first openly gay candidate to run for the American presidency on a major party ticket. He even won a couple contests by certain metrics! What did you think of his run for the presidency? Particularly if you're an American gay man, did it mean something to you that he was a gay man or was it a peripheral, unimportant matter in your mind? And did you ever support his candidacy or did you have a different preference?