By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Mnementh said:
Ka-pi96 said:
So... what exactly happened to Europe? Seems pretty crazy that it's spread that fast over there.

China quarantined a city with 5 million people prett fast. In europe the response was initially far less decisive. Most countries pick up now, although germany seems dangerously inactive. 

We closed just about every school in the country today as well as Kindergartens and whatnot. So I wouldn't say germany is inactive, although you could argue that the current measures aren't enough.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

Torillian said:
Our local public schools in Ann Arbor Michigan have closed for the next three weeks and the university has switched to online courses for the rest of the semester. We've only had two cases in the state so I'm surprised the public schools acted so quickly, I was expecting them to wait it out another week.

Someday I'd be really interested to talk to an expert on this particular virus and find out what about it made everyone take action so drastically. This is a much more notable reaction than I think the world has ever had for a single disease. Perhaps that's just because we have so much more information than we've ever had before, travel is easier than ever, or is this specific virus so much worse than Ebola or previous SARS strains that it required this level of response even if all other things were equal.

It's the nature of exponential growth. That is scary. So a few cases now can mean hundreds in a week and thousands in two weeks. The earlier you stop the spreading, the better. Also, even if you bring down the rate of new infections, this is highly helpful to reduce the impact of exponential growth. This video explains that a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg

Also, apparently shuttoing down Wuhan only a day earlier might have reduced the number of infected by 40%, as this article explains:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

And the reason experts freak, is that the reproduction rate is much higher than normal flu, which means it can lead to situations where the health system is overloaded with sick people:

https://elemental.medium.com/why-we-should-care-commonly-asked-questions-and-answers-about-covid-19-6b166f1876e9

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Ka-pi96 said:
So... what exactly happened to Europe? Seems pretty crazy that it's spread that fast over there.

China quarantined a city with 5 million people prett fast. In europe the response was initially far less decisive. Most countries pick up now, although germany seems dangerously inactive. I also don't know what exactly Spain does. I have a strong feeling germany will overtake other countries in the number of cases quickly now, so far the number of infected seem to double every three days.

Yeah, as much shit they do/eat in countries like China but at least they react drastically before it's too late and the people living there take stuff like that also more serious.

At my work I still have to tell people not to shake each others hands all the time. We are around 1000 people at work, there are already some cases here (and it's not a big city) and the chance that someone is infected isn't small. But you still see every single employee shaking hands with like 50 other guys per day. 

According to their daily conferences, mortality rates in Italy might seem high but are very consistent with other countries adjusting by age bracket and case severity. Who knows how many younger people have been out there spreading the virus, undetected, and for how long. Quarantine might have started too late.

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro reportedly tests positive for coronavirus after his press secretary Fabio Wajngarten tested positive for it. Bolsonaro, Wajngarten, and staffers were guests at Mar-a-Lago over the weekend. Wajngarten posed for a photo on Saturday with both the President and Vice President of the United States

Trump has multiple risk factors: old age and too much weight. Maybe impeachement was unnessecary after all…

Maybe too much, sorry if this comment offends you.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

jason1637 said:
So a lot of people reyshed back to the US from Europe before the ban went into effect. What are the odds some of them came back with the virus?

Doesn't matter, as the virus is already spreading inside the US. So the danger of getting infected in the US is as high as people bringing it back from europe.

Angelus said:
At the rate it's been going the last few days, Italy will surpass China's reported death toll in a little over a week.

That is entirely possible. What is shocking is, that Italy has already a third of the deaths than China, but less than a fourth of infected. Seemingly the health system is overloaded and this drives up the mortality rate.

Also I expect more countries to surpass Chinas numbers, probably the US, germany, maybe Spain.

OdinHades said:
Mnementh said:

China quarantined a city with 5 million people prett fast. In europe the response was initially far less decisive. Most countries pick up now, although germany seems dangerously inactive. 

We closed just about every school in the country today as well as Kindergartens and whatnot. So I wouldn't say germany is inactive, although you could argue that the current measures aren't enough.

Yeah, the recent closing of schools is a good first step. I think it came a little late, but better late than never. But the other big vector of virus spread is public transportation. Officials are still too reluctant to hamper the businesses, but at this point I would be more concerned about helping the citizens and take care of the economy later.

SvennoJ said:

From one extreme to the other. Panic is no good, lining up at the supermarket to buy toilet paper, dumb. But this is imo just as irresponsible atm
https://globalnews.ca/news/6667660/london-ont-travelers-coronavirus/
But hey, they packed some Chlorox wipes while the US is declaring a state of emergency right at this moment.

Here are some myths busted about Corona virus
https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-myths.html
It's not just a bad flu, and yep the bad flu (swine flu) already killed 12K people in the US and required 250K people to go to a hospital. This is more contagious and can potentially put tens of millions of Americans in the hospital.

The swine flu infected about 1 billion people and was found to be less severe than the seasonal flu. That is despite being much more aggressive towards healthy and younger people. You really expect this to be worse? This virus that is incredibly weak to a normal immune system and can be fought with soap?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.