Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

You concerned yet?

Yes 88 48.62%

No, but I will be followi... 50 27.62%

No, its being overblown 43 23.76%

Total:181

Switzerland might be on the rise again after Bars and Nightclubs opened up again.
One Nightclub was entirely shut down after authorities were unable to track possible new Covid carriers. Although these businesses are mandated to keep a tracking list of all the guest, authorities were unable to track down all the "Donald Duck"s,"Peter Parker"s, "Green Goblin"s and Whatnot that attended this club ( and their corresponding emails were not helpful either.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Yesterday we were told a lab tech was "slow" to update numbers in florida, so we wouldn't get the "full" amount of new cases that day.
So Florida only reported 6000+ cases.

Yet America was at 46,042 dail cases of covid19.
Theres a good chance the real number is 50,000+, ei flordia alone is missing 3000-4000 cases reported.

I dont think the USA has ever been above 50k has it? Brazil has done it once (where it added up some weeks old cases ontop of another day).
I think its a new record, 1st nation to get 50k cases daily.

Nope, USA's peak so far was 47,341, last Friday.
Brazil had that 55.2K peak after only reporting 23K the day before.
The single day record for the world is 181,005 (June 19th) which will soon be beat, either today or tomorrow.

Sweden's numbers are even more messed up now, worldometer started following their strategy to also cast reported deaths into the past. I guess they don't report the deaths until confirmed for covid-19 days later? The effect is that the 7 day average is not 'stable' until over 2 weeks after. So now reported cases lag up to a week behind (also no reporting from Friday to Monday), reported deaths up to 16 days (with 7 day average). The effect is that when ever you look at the graphs they always end near the bottom, suggesting all is going great...

Moving reported deaths around and changing what 'counts' is happening a lot atm. I don't trust many countries' numbers much anymore. I guess there is too much at stake for honest reporting.

Here Toronto is now making mask mandatory in indoor spaces, yet at the same time the health ministry is saying it's not necessary
Toronto city council approved a bylaw Tuesday that makes face coverings mandatory in indoor public spaces.
Ontario's health ministry has rejected a call by some municipal leaders for a provincial mandatory mask policy, saying it "isn't necessary" to require all residents to wear face masks when they are indoors in public spaces in large urban centres.
But they say it would have helped earlier...

These conflicting messages only make things worse. If it would have helped earlier, it would help now to prevent or slow down a resurgence. It's not gone, it's still moving around within the younger population. Less symptoms, less go get tested... In the mean time Doug Ford is ready to move onto the phase 3 of re-openings.

Air Canada laid off 20,000 workers and stopped service to 8 cities as well as suspended 30 regional routes. And while Canadians are now welcome again in Europe, Canada still keeps its borders closed to all foreign travelers until July 31st (USA until July 21st for now, separate arrangement...) The government still advises everyone to avoid all non-essential travel outside of the country.

Barozi said:

3,862 positive cases (+87.0%) with 378k tests (+18.1%).

On average there were 552 positive cases a day (or 644 if you discard Sunday).

331 in ICU (-18.5%)

Terrible week due to the slaughterhouse outbreak. Berlin also isn't looking very good. The rest of the country seems fine.
The administrative districts in which the slaughterhouse is located and the neighbouring district where a lot of the workers are living are back in lockdown.
7,000 people from that area are now in quarantine.

Numbers should be significantly lower next week.

2,775 positive cases (-28.1%) with 456k tests (+20.6%).

On average there were 396 positive cases a day (or 463 if you discard Sunday).

329 in ICU (-0.6%)

Way better numbers even with 20% more tests. Looks like the previous slaughterhouse outbreak didn't have any lasting effect on the numbers.
Berlin is also looking much much better. Only about double the German average this week.
Only 0.8% of tests came back positive which is the same amount as the week prior to the outbreak.

Sadly, the numbers of patients in ICU didn't drop at all.

Oooh i was tested for covid today,will know the result this friday.

Around the Network

Not sure if it's from the mass testing or the partial reopening, but within 3 weeks the number of actives cases went from 28 all the way up to 232. In that time period, 95000 tests had been made (almost 16% or 1/6 of the population of Luxembourg), so I'm not sure which is the main reason. Hospital admissions have not risen yet (still less than 20 being treated in Hospitals right now in total), so it could just be a bunch of asymptomatic persons being tested positive - but it could also be that the virus is trying to make a comeback.

Immersiveunreality said:

Good luck!

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Not sure if it's from the mass testing or the partial reopening, but within 3 weeks the number of actives cases went from 28 all the way up to 232. In that time period, 95000 tests had been made (almost 16% or 1/6 of the population of Luxembourg), so I'm not sure which is the main reason. Hospital admissions have not risen yet (still less than 20 being treated in Hospitals right now in total), so it could just be a bunch of asymptomatic persons being tested positive - but it could also be that the virus is trying to make a comeback.

Immersiveunreality said:

Good luck!

Thank you,i'm pretty sure i will not test positive.

Spoiler tag for the drama.

Spoiler!
The appointment i had was actually for lower nerve backpains and to tell doctor about my very selfdestructive mental state(autism) that i never really took meds for or decent help but i'm getting at the edge of pressure that i can handle and lately taking in too much alcohol to try and calm myself.The quarantaine and isolation on top of that did me no good  and i'm nearly suicidal.But i happened to be a bit nauseous and got some strange rash on my stomach so i got an covid test. :p

25 vaccine candidates are now in human trials; 13 in Phase I, 9 in Phase II, and 3 in Phase III.

Immersiveunreality said:

Spoiler tag for the drama.

Spoiler!
The appointment i had was actually for lower nerve backpains and to tell doctor about my very selfdestructive mental state(autism) that i never really took meds for or decent help but i'm getting at the edge of pressure that i can handle and lately taking in too much alcohol to try and calm myself.The quarantaine and isolation on top of that did me no good  and i'm nearly suicidal.But i happened to be a bit nauseous and got some strange rash on my stomach so i got an covid test. :p

So sorry to hear you're hurting man, as an autistic I know it's not always an easy thing to live with.

I really hope things get better for you.

Regarding the mental aspect, the right meds made a world of difference for me.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Canada casting doubts on anti body tests

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canadian-led-research-casts-doubt-on-accuracy-of-covid-19-antibody-tests-1.5007343

COVID-19 antibody tests that deliver a result on the spot are unreliable enough that they should stop being used immediately, according to new Canadian-led research. The research, which was published Wednesday in The BMJ, involved a review of all known studies about the effectiveness of the antibody tests.

Finding dependable information was not easy. The researchers ended up with 40 studies to look over, 70 per cent of which came from China. Most of the studies were found to have been designed in a way that could create a bias in the results, and about half had not been peer-reviewed.

Still, the researchers say the studies were enough for them to reach one clear conclusion: there are "major weaknesses" in the existing evidence supporting the use of blood tests that do not process their samples in laboratory settings. "The evidence does not support the continued use of existing point-of-care serological tests for COVID-19," they wrote.

The new research pours even more cold water on the idea [immunity passports], finding that the serological tests have relatively high error rates. These errors can take the form of false positives, where the disease is said to be found in someone who does not have it, or false negatives, where an infected person's antibodies do not show up in the results.

The researchers found that the studied serological tests fared relatively well when it came to avoiding false positives, with this happening between 0.3 per cent and 3.4 per cent of the time. False negatives were a much bigger problem, with some tests failing to detect COVID-19 antibodies in up to 34 per cent of all those tested who had been infected.

The tests that presented the most false negatives were those of the lateral flow immunoassay (LFIA) variety – the type being considered for use in immunity passports because its lack of a need for lab processing makes it quicker and cheaper than the alternatives.
In the U.S., the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have warned that antibody tests can deliver false results up to 50 per cent of the time.

According to the researchers, their findings suggest that if LFIA tests are given to 100 people who have had COVID-19 and 900 who have not, 34 of those with the antibodies will be wrongly told they do not have them, and 31 of those without will be wrongly told they do.

Just get rid of air crafts ugh
https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/suspected-covid-19-exposure-on-toronto-to-halifax-flight-1.5007091

On Wednesday, Nova Scotia Health Authority advised of potential exposure on WestJet flight WS 248 on Friday from Toronto to Halifax. The flight departed Toronto at 10 a.m. and landed in Halifax at 1:04 p.m. NSHA notes while anyone on the flight could have been exposed, based on public health’s investigation to date, passengers in rows 16-21 who were seated in seats A-C are more likely to have had close contact. Passengers in these seats are asked to call 811 for advice.

Erm, don't they know who was on the flight? Is this the level of 'contact tracing' that's going to stop the spread??? wtf.
Now is the time to start building high speed rail lines. Much easier to social distance (add more cars), plenty room for air filters or simply leave the windows open.

Oh and happy Canada day! I spend mine cycling. It was actually a bit more quiet on the trails (36c full sun today) however the river was crazy. I have never seen so many people floating down on whatever they could find. It might be a bit safer for covid19 but I've seen a lot of very red people lol. Sun burned all over. Every access point to the river was packed with cars. Rafts tied together floating down in groups up to 20 people. Tons of rental canoes and kayaks as well, people will be transported back in cramped vans :/ Golf courses along my route were busy, as well as the conservation areas. Now hoping the fireworks tonight don't set anything on fire, everything is very dry. Heat warnings are in effect, temperatures will stay above 30c for the next 7 days with very little chance of rain.

My pool reached 86F / 30c today...