By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

curl-6 said:
These reports of 90%+ efficacy in multiple vaccine candidates is really, really good news. First attempts at vaccines often have much lower rates than this. Can't we be happy that immensely positive progress is being made, instead of constantly pessimistic?

Sorry, as a european I am a bit pessimistic, as I see how we fuck up. I agree, you as an australian can be more optimistic.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Mnementh said:

I currently feel germany is the country of ignorant snobs and dumbasses. We could've learned from other countries and we somehow managed to get through first wave OKish. But now we mess up. Numbers are high but germany can't decide on decisive measures.

Best of all: our minister of health Jens Spahn is infected. He sent a list of possible contacts to the local health authority, but didn't phone them themself, including a restaurant he visited. Some other visitor of the restaurant on the table besides them learned of the infection of the minister from media - and tested positive. They never got a call to test themself from anyone. Minister and local health authority both claim they did what they were legally bound to do - which is true. But only shows, that contact tracing in germany isn't working.

We had months to prepare for the second wave. But as we germans are arrogant buffoons, we did nothign as we believed we would be better than anyone else. I am currently so pissed about my nationality. We don't need Trump to fuck up.

Good to know that you now view Germany in the same way the rest of Europe does.

I never had the best view of my home country. But so far I didn't believe we are collectively stupid. That I am wrong on this shows my own stupidity.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

SvennoJ said:

Italy somehow is on top again...

it must be that herd immuunity I heard of...

Same here in Sweden, their brilliant strategy seems to have really paid off now (96 new casualties reported in the last 24 hours). Good thing they never resorted to those unscientific, draconic and anti-democratic, populistic, and stupid tools and measures that their neighboring countries did. Otherwise, they'd never look as amazing on those curves in comparison.

Nighthawk117 said:
By the way, I sold all my stocks earlier this year....Just saying...

Did you rebuy during the bear market? The markets have been breaking all kinds of records this year.

curl-6 said:
Nighthawk117 said:
curl-6 said:
Nighthawk117 said:
Also, how many people will be hesitant to take the vaccine in the first place? I know I will. I'm not a guinea pig for an unproven vaccine.

It's not unproven. The vaccines for COVID are going through all the standard phases of human trials to prove safety and efficacy, including testing on thousands, even tens of thousands of volunteers. They're not just releasing it without properly testing it.

They are unproven/unapproved as of today - 11/17.  Although I hear Putin has given the green light to Sputnik 5.

With the exception of Russia and China jumping the gun, the vaccines simply haven't finished human trials yet; by the time they're rolled out to the public, they will have completed full standard testing to prove that they are safe and effective.

I would say that the fact that both Russia and China have kept quiet, since.... speaks volumes.

Around the Network

You could probably roll out a vaccine pretty fast - in just a few months or so - using certain adjuvants in certain quantities. Problem is, that would literally give you cancer and/or other long-term health effects. 

I guess that'd be a step too far even for Russia or China.

JRPGfan said:
curl-6 said:

With the exception of Russia and China jumping the gun, the vaccines simply haven't finished human trials yet; by the time they're rolled out to the public, they will have completed full standard testing to prove that they are safe and effective.

I would say that the fact that both Russia and China have kept quiet, since.... speaks volumes.

(curated) Numbers are still rising in Russia as well, if it was effective and safe they certainly have enough reason to expedite rolling it out.
China always posts low numbers no matter what, who knows what goes on there.

An out break at Tim Horton's (Canada's star bucks) happened in my town, not good. Contact tracing is a joke here as well and test results can take one to two weeks. We're only posting slightly lower numbers atm since, just like Germany, we're testing less. The lab ran into capacity problems again I guess.

We're still testing more than before at least. When I started tracking the tests
Aug 11 to Aug 18: 187,218 tests, 676 positive, 0.36% positive
Nov 11 to Nov 18: 260,370 tests, 9,953 positive, 3.82% positive
Nothing to worry aboot...

The border closure has been extended again to Dec 21st, not that it will open then, nor is it really all that closed.

Pfizer announces they will apply for emergency approval for their vaccine "within days" as human trial results show 95% efficacy with no serious side effects:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine.html

Mnementh said:
curl-6 said:
These reports of 90%+ efficacy in multiple vaccine candidates is really, really good news. First attempts at vaccines often have much lower rates than this. Can't we be happy that immensely positive progress is being made, instead of constantly pessimistic?

Sorry, as a european I am a bit pessimistic, as I see how we fuck up. I agree, you as an australian can be more optimistic.

Yeah that's fair. I'm actively trying to be more optimistic as a person these days, and for some time now, but it's true my situation makes it easier to be optimistic about COVID.

I guess I'm also trying to bring some hope for those who are struggling.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 November 2020

Over 1.9k deaths today in the US. Deaths usually lag 2-4 weeks behind cases and hospilaztion so this is the Halloween amd election deaths and we haven't hit the big boys that are Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New years. We also have black friday amd holiday shopping sprinkled in there.

jason1637 said:
Over 1.9k deaths today in the US. Deaths usually lag 2-4 weeks behind cases and hospilaztion so this is the Halloween amd election deaths and we haven't hit the big boys that are Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New years. We also have black friday amd holiday shopping sprinkled in there.

and thats even with the US way of counting covid19 related deaths (where they are quick to blame other things instead).
Wouldnt be surprised if the "real" number was like twice that.

They said they are expecting over 400k deaths due to covid19 by early March 2021.
So that probably ment they were predicting the US would be hitting 2,000 or more pr day, when they were looking at trends and trying to predict the future.