By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

curl-6 said:
Nighthawk117 said:
Your right in one regard....they are not in the same family of viruses...If you believe we will eliminate Covid-19 so easily then...God bless you... I hope your right...As for me, I am more cynical..

Oh it definitely won't be easy, and a vaccine will not eliminate COVID overnight. It will take a long time for supply to ramp up and immunization coverage to become widespread enough to arrest the spread of the disease worldwide, and even if we pursue a strategy of global eradication, it will takes years to wipe it out completely even with effective vaccines.

This is just an encouraging first step.

Yes, it is a good first step.  I'll give you that. But, we are in for one hell of a roller coaster ride over the next year or so. Worse than 2020.

Around the Network
Nighthawk117 said:
curl-6 said:
Nighthawk117 said:
Your right in one regard....they are not in the same family of viruses...If you believe we will eliminate Covid-19 so easily then...God bless you... I hope your right...As for me, I am more cynical..

Oh it definitely won't be easy, and a vaccine will not eliminate COVID overnight. It will take a long time for supply to ramp up and immunization coverage to become widespread enough to arrest the spread of the disease worldwide, and even if we pursue a strategy of global eradication, it will takes years to wipe it out completely even with effective vaccines.

Yes, it is a good first step.  I'll give you that. But, we are in for one hell of a roller coaster ride over the next year or so. Worse than 2020.

Well, I'd say next year should be better than 2020 thanks to not only vaccines becoming available but treatments continuing to improve as new drugs come online and studies on old ones show which ones can be helpful. COVID will still be widespread and causing plenty of mayhem through 2021 but at least we'll have more and better tools to fight it than we've had this year.

Nighthawk117 said:
curl-6 said:
Nighthawk117 said:

So.. what do you propose? Should we just sit around and wait?

I doubt even mass vaccination could eradicate the virus since sterilizing immunity for coronaviruses doesn't last that long. The 1889 pandemic, likely the last one to involve the introduction of a new coronavirus, gifted us the most prevalent of all common colds today - betacoronavirus OC43.

That being said, the efficacy of these vaccines is coming in waaaaay above expectations. For all the trouble it caused, the virus seems to interact in a fairly mundane manner with the immune system, perhaps even on the lower end of effectiveness as far as respiratory viruses go.

chakkra said:
Nighthawk117 said:

So.. what do you propose? Should we just sit around and wait?

No, we should put some effort into getting rid of it like Australia and New Zealand so we can go back to a (mostly) normal life instead of this balancing act while waiting for vaccines to solve the problem.

The roller coaster ride Nighthawk mentions is not just covid still being around, the recession will start to hit hard next year. Fallout from people defaulting their mortgage payments and rent is imminent. Governments have been spending crazy amounts on covid and lockdowns. The next couple years willbe rough.

Around the Network

Thanks, SvennoJ. Your read my mind.

By the way, I sold all my stocks earlier this year....Just saying...

Also, how many people will be hesitant to take the vaccine in the first place? I know I will. I'm not a guinea pig for an unproven vaccine.

Nighthawk117 said:
Also, how many people will be hesitant to take the vaccine in the first place? I know I will. I'm not a guinea pig for an unproven vaccine.

It's not unproven. The vaccines for COVID are going through all the standard phases of human trials to prove safety and efficacy, including testing on thousands, even tens of thousands of volunteers. They're not just releasing it without properly testing it.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 November 2020

One more thing....Whatever happened to the numbers updates from SpokenTruth???? Spoke, where are you? We miss you bro. Spoke? Spoke - where art thou?