By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

SvennoJ said:

A bit lower than previously assumed

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/2-5-per-cent-of-italians-had-covid-19-more-in-the-north-tests-reveal-1.5049716

The sampling indicated that 1.482 million Italians nationwide had come into contact with the virus and developed an immunological response to it, six times more than Italy's reported number of confirmed cases, said Linda Laura Sabbadini, a director at the Italian National Institute of Statistics, or ISTAT.

Bergamo the epicenter: Some 24 per cent of Bergamo residents developed virus antibodies

Locatelli said the results also indicated that 27.3 per cent of the people with the virus experienced no symptoms, demonstrating the need for continued social distancing and mask requirements. He stressed that the tests were not looking at whether the antibodies provided protection against the virus going forward, just the tested individuals had come into contact with the virus.

The antibody test results also suggest that Italy's COVID-19 death toll, which stood at 35,166 as of Monday, is in line with an estimated 2.3 per cent mortality rate for the virus globally, Locatelli said.

So a bit less widespread than assumed (less for the herd immunity camp) and higher mortality rate than assumed (around 1%). However Italy does have the oldest average age and the older population was hit especially hard in Italy.

This also makes those "10 x more actual cases, than confirmed ones" estimates, appear way off.

If the actual number is closer to x5-6 ish range.

Also only 27,3% experianced no symptoms..... all that "80% dont even have symptoms" people been spreading is false.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

This also makes those "10 x more actual cases, than confirmed ones" estimates, appear way off.

If the actual number is closer to x5-6 ish range.

Also only 27,3% experianced no symptoms..... all that "80% dont even have symptoms" people been spreading is false.

Estimates were between 10 and 100x more cases than reported. This study is a magnitude below that while Italy was one of those that had a lot of catching up to do in testing, way behind at the start of the curve. Maybe they were that far behind at an early point but overall far less dramatic than the estimates thrown around end March, early April.

Couldn't it also be that in some people the infection was so weak that there are no antibodies to detect anymore?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I want to show you the posters that are shown around germany:

You see the same in the front and in the background in different colors. The three words are:

• Abstand = distance
  • Hygiene = hygiene (well, duh)
  • Alltagsmaske = everyday mask

Do you all have something similar in other countries? And do you think a reminder like this works?

Last edited by Mnementh - on 05 August 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

You see the same in the front and in the background in different colors. The three words are:

• Abstand = distance

Do you all have something similar in other countries? And do you think a reminder like this works?

Here in New York they run constant television ads and jave some posters on public transportation. 

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

• Abstand = distance

Gotta give Germans credit.  They make a aha joke into public awareness.   They might as well just go full dark.  Where are the cigarette ads showing a black lung?

sethnintendo said:

Gotta give Germans credit.  They make a aha joke into public awareness.   They might as well just go full dark.  Where are the cigarette ads showing a black lung?

Well.....

Here in europe the cigarette packs have to print actual information about health risks. That includes very bad pictures. There is a variety of different images, but here is the one for the black lung:

Spoiler!

The text says: smoking causes 9 out of 10 lung carcinomas.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 05 August 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

So people here had to go to Spain on vacation and now we are seeing numbers rising, oh fucking great

Barozi said:

3,774 positive cases (+34.7%) with 564k tests (+6.0%).

On average there were 539 positive cases a day (or 629 if you discard Sunday).

261 in ICU (+4.4%)

2nd wave in full force. Multiple smaller outbreaks in different regions of Germany.

4,639 positive cases (+22.9%) with 574k tests (+1.8%).

On average there were 663 positive cases a day (or 773 if you discard Sunday).

239 in ICU (-8.4%)

Kinda surprised that ICU numbers went down. Still a very critical moment.

Mnementh said:

• Abstand = distance

Here in Ontario you have posters everywhere, they are different per county though. At every trail entrance and every gate (stay 2 meters apart, don't walk/ride in groups), all stores, at traffic lights, you can't miss it. Plus adds on radio and tv all day long.

For example for stores

There are also limits on how many people can go inside. Many of the smaller stores down town have a 7 people limit at a time. Some only one customer inside at a time like the bicycle store I go to. Supermarkets, liquor stores etc have someone at the door counting those going in and out and having people line up 2 meters apart in front of the store.

It's taken very serious on the shopping front yet still many people go about their parties and recreation without a care :/ 4 weeks before schools re-open with no limits to how many people inside (full attendance, full days, all week). Our prime minister Doug Ford said he would be nervous sending his kids back to school...

"We put in $80 million to hire more staff and cleaning services and we are the only jurisdiction that are hiring 500 nurses specifically for schools at $50 million,” Ford said. “I won’t spare a penny. SickKids have come up with an incredible plan. I fully understand why the parents are nervous, I’d be nervous if my kids were back in school.”

We have just over 2 million students in Ontario, so we spared about $40 per student to make things 'safe' but we got one nurse per 4,000 students lol. Incredible plan from SickKids what a crock of shit. Basically face masks from grade 4 and up is all it is. Desks one meter apart and staggered lunch breaks. Incredible! Meanwhile they estimated the chance of an infected kid per class of 30 at 5.3%...