By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

EricHiggin said:
Conina said:

USA: 146k tests per million

Germany: 82k tests per million

Italy: 103k tests per million

So the more tests could explain double of the known active cases at best , not 29x or 85x the number of known cases.

Well how accurate are the numbers? How accurate are any of the numbers? Clearly dying from another cause, and being counted as a covid death because it was also in their system at that time, certainly puts that into question. Hospitals being paid by the Gov for treating covid 19 patients when forced to slow or halt other medical treatments due to the pandemic? Based on covid 19 symptoms, which can be quite similar to other illnesses?

How many other uncertainties are out there? I'm sure I must have caught them all. Never miss a covimon.

Barozi said:

What kind of terrible analogy is that?

Where's the equivalent of the "same hourly wage" in your second example? There has to be something like "same positivity rate" in there, otherwise it's not even a valid analogy.

But then you'd need to realize that the country that does way more testing (US) also has a much higher positivity rate...

Same illness, that effects people differently, because people are different. Are all workers the same? Same quality? Same productivity?

No.

So you're saying that while the illness is the same, more US citizens are infected because they are less healthy in general compared to people in other 1st world countries. Got it.

Around the Network
Conina said:
EricHiggin said:

If multiple countries are dealing with the same illness, but one country does way more testing, won't they likely end up with more confirmed cases?

USA: 146k tests per million

Germany: 82k tests per million

Italy: 103k tests per million

So the more tests could explain double of the known active cases at best , not 29x or 85x the number of known cases.

Also the USA also counts anti body tests, in that number (which alot of other natons dont).

Like in denmark we have tested 230,000+ pr million.
Testing SHOULD be higher (pr million) the more cases you have.
And yet, you dont hear our prime minister saying "we're testing too much, slow down the testing"!

If you have a few people, and miss a few people, its not the end of the world. If you dont test for them.
If you have massive spread, and miss aton of people, its gonna make it sooo much worse. Thus as more people have it, testing should go up.

USA has more cases than anywere, and thus should be testing alot more (pr population) than other places.
Thats how you stop spread, you find those infected, and ask them to stay home and not go around infecting others.

Conina is 100% correct.

EricHiggin says some odd things sometimes.

Reality starts hitting home in Florida
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/father-hospitalized-with-covid-19-after-son-met-friends-against-family-s-wishes-1.5030846
For weeks, Michelle Zymet pleaded with her stepson to avoid going out with friends and to always wear a mask. One evening in early June, the young man went out against her wishes, gathered with friends and removed his mask while eating and drinking. Days later, he felt cold symptoms and a friend at the get-together told him she had tested positive for the new coronavirus. The man's father, John Place, 42, is now fighting the virus at a hospital's intensive care unit.

Trump won't change direction
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/trump-insists-he-s-right-on-the-virus-as-more-americans-get-sick-and-die-1.5030901
"I'll be right eventually. I will be right eventually. You know I said, 'It's going to disappear.' I'll say it again," Trump said in an interview on "Fox News Sunday."

SvennoJ said:

Trump won't change direction
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/trump-insists-he-s-right-on-the-virus-as-more-americans-get-sick-and-die-1.5030901
"I'll be right eventually. I will be right eventually. You know I said, 'It's going to disappear.' I'll say it again," Trump said in an interview on "Fox News Sunday."

Fun fact... also Trump is going to disappear eventually... and so do we all.

Some of us also earlier than necessary due to the fails of the governments and "world leaders".

EnricoPallazzo said:
Man, Brazil just doesnt get better. Still more than 100 death per day, around 50 thousand new infections. Will surely hit 100+ thousand deaths.
At least summer is coming in the south hemisphere so it should improve after september.

It's a continental sized country with many different sociocultural realities depending on the location. You have anything from cities with herd immunity to others where almost no one has caught it. The places that were hit first are now improving rapidly, while others that locked down before any meaningful outbreak (like where I live...) are seeing large number of cases.

Regardless, the AZ vaccine will roll out by the end of the year to at-risk populations and healthcare professionals. So, one way or another, it's more than halfway through already.

Will we hit the more than 300,000 estimated deaths from the 1918 Flu? I don't think so.

Around the Network

So today at the supermarket me and like 3 others did wear a mask and that was it.
And they did not have anything to clean the shoppingcarts.

Some absolute piece of shit from the city visited my small so-far-COVID-free home town while waiting on the results of a test which later came back positive.

They visited pubs, shops, and other public places.

My mother is a teacher there and has underlying health conditions.

I so fucking angry and scared right now.

This pandemic has really highlighted the insane stupidity and selfishness of so many.

haxxiy said:
EnricoPallazzo said:
Man, Brazil just doesnt get better. Still more than 100 death per day, around 50 thousand new infections. Will surely hit 100+ thousand deaths.
At least summer is coming in the south hemisphere so it should improve after september.

It's a continental sized country with many different sociocultural realities depending on the location. You have anything from cities with herd immunity to others where almost no one has caught it. The places that were hit first are now improving rapidly, while others that locked down before any meaningful outbreak (like where I live...) are seeing large number of cases.

Regardless, the AZ vaccine will roll out by the end of the year to at-risk populations and healthcare professionals. So, one way or another, it's more than halfway through already.

Will we hit the more than 300,000 estimated deaths from the 1918 Flu? I don't think so.

Italy's death toll peaked on April 2nd, yet the total reported deaths still increased by a factor 2.5 until now.
Brazil sits at 80K reported deaths and has not peaked yet, but the reported cases do seem to have peaked.
So bar under counted deaths, 200K for the first wave is likely.

I don't think its more than halfway through already, the first wave maybe. But a readily available vaccine that works for all likely won't be until next year. What cities have herd immunity?

There is progress
https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/astrazeneca-s-eagerly-awaited-covid-vaccine-passes-large-test-but-confirmation-needed

It’s broadly good news: The trial of the vaccine, known as AZD1222 and being developed by AstraZeneca and scientists at the University of Oxford, was generally safe (fevers and headaches hit the majority but could be controlled), and it saw both antibody and T-cell immune responses.

Whether this is enough to create a strong and lasting immunity against SARS-CoV-02, the virus causing COVID-19, remains the bigger question, and longer-term follow-up trials will be needed to confirm this (and are ongoing).

The median age was 35, much younger than the group which will need it most, i.e., those over 70, and the majority of those getting the AZ vaccine had aches, headaches, fever and fatigue, though there doesn’t appear to be anything more serious. These were generally controlled with paracetamol.

It was tested on 1077 healthy adults aged 18 to 55. It seems to be working.

haxxiy said:

1. Covid is related to the cold virus which has never had a successful vaccine developed for it as they both mutate very quickly (every 3 months, much faster than the flu at 12 months)

2. Vaccines take on average 5 years to be developed safely, a rushed vaccine may have its own issues  

3. Immunity in a prior infected person at best lasts a few months from what researchers are seeing, and in many cases permanent/long term lung damage is the result  

4. This virus unless eliminated will circle the globe forever, constantly mutating, elimination is the key, but for many places politically this won't happen      

"We are United in our effort to defeat the Invisible China Virus, and many people say that it is Patriotic to wear a face mask when you can’t socially distance. There is nobody more Patriotic than me, your favorite President!"

Donald J. Trump

I have no idea how anyone could ever vote for a guy like this. A guy who needs to tell people that he is their favorite President and a guy who did wait for over 100k deaths in USA before he used a face mask for the first time telling people that he is so patriotic and that'S why he wears a mask.

Ohh and he even managed to once again fuck with China instead of just calling the virus by the real name. And all of that in one tweet. Fascinating.