Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

You concerned yet?

Yes 91 49.19%

No, but I will be followi... 50 27.03%

No, its being overblown 44 23.78%

Total:185
SvennoJ said:
trunkswd said:
Nice to see the world is still working towards renewable energy. At least Sweden, anyway.

That's Canada ;) where we close all the green spaces and tell people to keep 2 meters apart in the spaces that are left lol.

Those things are an eyesore on the skyline, but it beats smog. Solar panels are doing fine here as well, but it's all still just a drop compared to hydro and nuclear energy. I wonder what's going to happen to all the renewable energy sources credits now we're upping the national debt at an alarming rate :/

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canadians-expect-things-to-get-ugly-think-more-pandemic-aid-needed-nanos-1.4921966

To date, the Canadian government has received more than seven million unique applications to the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) and has paid out more than $25 billion in aid money. This week, Parliament fast-tracked and passed a $9-billion fund for students struggling during the pandemic.

I actually like how wind turbines look. They add to the view AND provide clean energy. But if you aren't a fan there are many off-shore wind farms, with the largest ones in the UK. I believe New York over the next decade is going to build by far the world's largest off-shore wind farm. As for solar the closer you are to the equator the better it works. When I can afford to buy my own house I plan on getting solar panels. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
vivster said:
JRPGfan said:

US isnt giveing honest numbers of deaths due to covid19 either (then again alot of countries are doing the same).
Wouldnt be surprised if most of that excess was from covid19.

Where the fuck else would those numbers come from? The actual excess deaths are even higher because most other causes of death are down due to lockdowns.

This data basically shows that by April 18 The US has undercounted COVID Deaths by almost half.

Shhhh... Gotta keep official numbers low.  Least we aren't Iran underreporting numbers.   Hey least we didn't cause catastrophe in middle East like Yemen.  Oh shit.  They are fucked.  Maybe we shouldn't have supported Saudis. 

I'd like to see death toll in Yemen.  I want to see where my government bombs are dropped.  Apparently Saudis like to drop bombs on food markets and schools in Yemen with US supplied weapons.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 03 May 2020

trunkswd said:

I actually like how wind turbines look. They add to the view AND provide clean energy. But if you aren't a fan there are many off-shore wind farms, with the largest ones in the UK. I believe New York over the next decade is going to build by far the world's largest off-shore wind farm. As for solar the closer you are to the equator the better it works. When I can afford to buy my own house I plan on getting solar panels. 

They sure look better than cell phone towers :)

I'm due for a new roof and have been toying for years with the idea to install solar panels. We're at 43 degrees North, still good for solar in the summer anyway. However my roof or rather my house is at the wrong angle. The solar panels would either be facing East or West :/ Making steps out of them against the roof orientation, no clue if that's advisable with the blowing snow during the winter.

When you buy a house, check which way the roof is facing!

SvennoJ said:
trunkswd said:

They sure look better than cell phone towers :)

I'm due for a new roof and have been toying for years with the idea to install solar panels. We're at 43 degrees North, still good for solar in the summer anyway. However my roof or rather my house is at the wrong angle. The solar panels would either be facing East or West :/ Making steps out of them against the roof orientation, no clue if that's advisable with the blowing snow during the winter.

When you buy a house, check which way the roof is facing!

Yeah the way the roof faces is very important. While they are just getting off the ground, there are the Tesla Solar Roofs. They are supposed to be cheaper than replacing the roof AND getting solar panels. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
Nice to see the world is still working towards renewable energy. At least Sweden, anyway.

In denmark something like 44% of our energy is from renewable sources, now.
We had a "2020" plan (from long ago) where our goal was to hit 50% by the end of 2020.

Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland are the same basically (or ahead of denmark in % of energy thats from renewable sources).

SvennoJ said:
trunkswd said:

That's Canada ;) where we close all the green spaces and tell people to keep 2 meters apart in the spaces that are left lol.

Those things are an eyesore on the skyline, but it beats smog. Solar panels are doing fine here as well, but it's all still just a drop compared to hydro and nuclear energy. I wonder what's going to happen to all the renewable energy sources credits now we're upping the national debt at an alarming rate :/

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canadians-expect-things-to-get-ugly-think-more-pandemic-aid-needed-nanos-1.4921966

To date, the Canadian government has received more than seven million unique applications to the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) and has paid out more than $25 billion in aid money. This week, Parliament fast-tracked and passed a $9-billion fund for students struggling during the pandemic.

Thats a legit worry, imo.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 04 May 2020

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
trunkswd said:

We had a "2020" plan (from long ago) where our goal was to hit 50% by the end of 2020.

Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland are the same basically (or ahead of denmark in % of energy thats from renewable sources).

SvennoJ said:

We're down to 5% of 'polluting' energy sources, gas and other. Over 25% is from water, 10% alternative (wind mostly, solar and a little from biomass) and 60% nuclear energy. Which is carbon clean anyway, but not renewable. Since nuclear is cheaper, less money to stimulate wind and solar farms will keep us hanging on to the ageing nuclear plants. Some will still be needed for peak demand anyway. Plus we sell power to the USA

https://live.gridwatch.ca/home-page.html

Not much solar generation yet, it's only 9:30 am :)

NHS moves to wind up London’s Nightingale Hospital

The BBC reports that the 4,000 bed field hospital, opened on 3 April to provide extra capacity for the capital’s health service, is currently treating just 20 patients. Once they’ve been discharged, staff and some equipment will be redistributed to other hospitals.

But in the three weeks since it was opened doubt about the project has started to creep in. The hospital designed to take 500, with capacity for 4,000, has only treated 41 patients. At a cost of many millions a week there are rumblings the Nightingale is turning into an expensive white elephant.

"We are worried a negative view of the Hospital is being allowed to develop," one senior member of the medical team at the hospital tells me."And having so few patients, when we expected to be dealing with hundreds, has not been good for our morale," they added.

Sir Simon Stevens, Head of NHS England, said: "We have not yet had to make extensive use of the Nightingale London thanks to the hard work of NHS staff – who have freed up more than 30,000 existing hospital beds .... It will count as a huge success for the whole country if we never need to use them, but with further waves of coronavirus possible it is important that we have these extra facilities in place and treating patients."

A new study of antibody test is out for stockholm metro. 10% in stockholm metro had antibodies in easter weekend (11-12 april).

"The average sampling day in the first round of tests was Easter evening on April 11."

"This measurement shows the spread of infection around the end of March."

Source: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kth.se%2Faktuellt%2Fnyheter%2F10-procent-av-stockholmarna-smittade-1.980727

Swedish version: https://www.kth.se/aktuellt/nyheter/10-procent-av-stockholmarna-smittade-1.980727

From what I understand reading this 10% in stockholm metro had been infected by the end of march.

Edit: doesn't say anything how accurate the test is though.

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 04 May 2020

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

SvennoJ said:
JRPGfan said:

We're down to 5% of 'polluting' energy sources, gas and other. Over 25% is from water, 10% alternative (wind mostly, solar and a little from biomass) and 60% nuclear energy. Which is carbon clean anyway, but not renewable. Since nuclear is cheaper, less money to stimulate wind and solar farms will keep us hanging on to the ageing nuclear plants. Some will still be needed for peak demand anyway. Plus we sell power to the USA

https://live.gridwatch.ca/home-page.html

Not much solar generation yet, it's only 9:30 am :)

Getting 25% of power from dams isn't something to brag too much about.  I'm sure some of those dams are on salmon and other migratory fish waterways.  Just saying they aren't as environment friendly as one might think and those fish ladders at side of dams don't really work.  Wind farms chop up birds also but when looking at grand scheme losing some fish and birds is a lot better than dumping a shit ton of oil and other toxic chemicals (used in fracking) into the environment or mountain top removal for coal.

Trumpstyle said:

A new study of antibody test is out for stockholm metro. 10% in stockholm metro had antibodies in easter weekend (11-12 april).

"The average sampling day in the first round of tests was Easter evening on April 11."

"This measurement shows the spread of infection around the end of March."

Source: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kth.se%2Faktuellt%2Fnyheter%2F10-procent-av-stockholmarna-smittade-1.980727

Swedish version: https://www.kth.se/aktuellt/nyheter/10-procent-av-stockholmarna-smittade-1.980727

From what I understand reading this 10% in stockholm metro had been infected by the end of march.

Edit: doesn't say anything how accurate the test is though.

Of 1,000 sent samples, 550 returned. Of these, 446 test responses were approved.

Sending out samples to randomly selected people, good!
But it's not random anymore when only half the people return the sample, lot of room for bias to creep in there.
446 sample size is rather small to make any accurate statement over 1.22 million people.

The average sampling date was April 11th, not sure why they say that shows the rate of infection at the end of March. With an average incubation period of 5 days, anti bodies should already start to show not long after, plus if the average was April 11th and the results are just there now, when were the last test kits received back? How big was the time window?

Anyway, 10% at beginning of April while the growth rate since then hasn't really changed much. Comparing Sweden's reported cases to 4 weeks ago, the daily reported cases have grown 120%, or less than 1% per day, adding on average a bit over 500 cases per day for the past month. So really, any stories about reaching herd immunity in Stockholm are off the table. The reported deaths have been very slowly growing as well since the start of April, in line with the reported cases.

Sweden is doing enough to stop the growth, just not enough to get back down from the peak.