By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Pyro as Bill said:
Pemalite said:

Yes. Lets inject disinfectant.  Moron.

He's right though.

Injecting someone with bleach or putting someone in a microwave would result in the virus dying.

Too bad it's not the only thing dying if you do so.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

He's right though.

Injecting someone with bleach or putting someone in a microwave would result in the virus dying.

It might not be a cure but it's definitely a creative way of stopping it from spreading.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

John2290 said:
S.Peelman said:
Tossing people into an active volcano also kills the virus. Has that been checked?

The summer will already be his treatment, they should have prescribed 15 minutes of direct sunlight a day anyway for the Vitimin D if they wanted the population as strong as possible instead of arresting sunbathers, now the people with TDS won't see sun until next spring, a real shame. 

Heh, yeah, the irony, those people on the beaches were actually just trying to stop any further spread.

Mnementh said:

COVID-19 might just kill enough more Trump-voters (based on demographics) to cost Trump the the election: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/23/how-coronavirus-could-upend-2020-battlegrounds-204708

Reminds me of this.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Pyro as Bill said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

It might not be a cure but it's definitely a creative way of stopping it from spreading.

And it is the standard in every Zombie movie: kill the infected, before they spread the virus.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
vivster said:
Mnementh said:

COVID-19 might just kill enough more Trump-voters (based on demographics) to cost Trump the the election: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/23/how-coronavirus-could-upend-2020-battlegrounds-204708

Reminds me of this.

LOL. Well, this video was released in august last year, seems to have been a bit prophetic.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I wonder what the actual % death rate we would have had instead of the 0.5-1% if we did not have lockdowns around the world.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

John2290 said:
SvennoJ said:

Why are you celebrating it being far more infectious (if the tests are accurate) than previous believed, needing a far higher percentage with enough anti bodies to reach herd immunity, which is still a big maybe how long and how much that will be effective.

If anything, it's only more dangerous if this is accurate. 0.8% of the world population is still 62 million people. Herd immunity won't be reached until 82% has enough capable anti bodies. This only points to even more strict social distancing to limit the damage.

If the 2.7 million figure based on (a little biased) anti body testing in NY is true, reported deaths in NY state divided by 2.7 million is a current death rate of 0.77%. Of course with average time of 20 days between onset of symptoms and death, that rate is still going to go up, plus uncounted / undetected deaths.

The more infectious, the harder it will be to keep the vulnerable safe. I feel more worried for my wife now and will not go to the chiropractor any time soon, not worth the risk.

I am getting my pool opened next Thursday (a bit early but my pool guy wants to escape up North). He said he'll do all the work there, no need to come see him. I guess I'll put the cash in the pool shed before he shows up and leave everything alone for 4 days (water and chemicals need to settle anyway) to be absolutely safe. I still haven't been to any store since early March, just to the trail to get some fresh air while avoiding people. It's only a few km from here so tank is still nearly full. Food still well stocked.

Meanwhile Ontario posted another new daily high reported cases:
Ontario health officials logged 54 new COVID-19 deaths and recorded a single-day high by confirming 634 more cases on Thursday, as the province continues to ramp up testing for the novel coronavirus.
One positive, no new cases reported in my local county the last 2 days. Yet if these anti body results are true then there could be a thousand undetected cases walking around...

I don't know, I didn't look into any of this yet past the surface, I'm waiting on a larger sample size but I just made the assumtion that if it's spreading since mid January the reproductive rate can't be be much of a problem? I mean if it's r6 it would have gone exponential and took nearly the entire population within a month, if already pretty close to that with r3, no? If it's double that then with these numbers the cap on the population should have been reached before lockdown or am I missing something... Huh, Idk. I'm mightly confused now, I think I'm going to take break for a day before I bother looking back into it, my head is full of assumptions. I mean, it can't be half as infectious as measles or we'd have seen everyone lining up for the ICU by now, right? If r6 is true something else might be wrong...

R0 of 5.7 is based on Chinese data from late December to Januari 23rd (before the lock down), so take a grain of salt with that. They come to a doubling rate every 2.4 days for the early growth.

March 20 is when NY became serious about the lock down, which stops the exponential growth in its tracks.
According to the NY times, NY peaked on April 10th at about 10,000 reported cases a day.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/new-york-coronavirus-cases.html#county

Of course reported cases are a bit useless with these new estimates especially with the late to start testing.

But we can look at that doubling rate. To get to 2.7 million infected by April 1st (totally wild guess to avg lock down slowdown date to peak date) with unhampered spread,
50 days = 1.9 million
51 days = 2.5 million
52 days = 3.3 million
It doesn't matter that much, exponential growth goes fast on the upper end.
51 days before April 1st is start on Februari 10th.

So wild estimate and assuming NY was infected later than California (reasonable assumption) the R0 of 5.7 is somewhat possible with the 2.7 million (or 10x more infected than detected) estimate.

However people would have been aware earlier and been more cautious. Also that study that came to R0 of 5.7 warned it might be different in other countries, new year celebrations likely played a part in early transmission in Wuhan and since nobody knew of it yet, nobody was being careful yet. Plus there's the uncertainty in the early data.

The difference with the old R0 of 2.2 is huge, after 51 days you only get to 2.3K, 10 times less. Or you need 97 days to go from 1 to 2.5 million.
Also he doubling rate for reported deaths begs to differ
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104836/days-for-covid19-deaths-to-double-select-countries-worldwide/

Russia where it recently exploded and with decent numbers to put some trust in, is at a doubling rate of 5 days, in line with the old R0 of 2.2. A lot of countries have much higher doubling rates since that stat is a real time statistic (snap shot at Apr 19th) and the lock down measures already had an effect. In Russia however measures are just now starting to affect the death rate. And those with smaller doubling rates had few deaths reported. So Russia's number is as pure as it comes from that link.

Nothing from that link supports an R0 of 5.7 and doubling rate of 2.4 days, I wouldn't put all that much faith in that. It was based on Chinese data after all.

A doubling rate of 5 days, suppose there were 20 people infected mid Januari (15th), by March 20th there would have been 163.8K people infected.
March 25th 328K
March 30th 655K
Apr 04 1.3 Million
Apr 09 2.6 Million

However since March 20th it should have slowed down to a flat increase by Apr 10th since that was the peak. (of 10K, or at most 100K if 10x under reported)
Even with 20 infectious people walking around in the population on Januari 15th and taking the fastest doubling rate observed in reported deaths, it still seems unlikely 2.7 million people are already infected in New York.

But yeah, with R0 of 5.7, spread starting in mid Januari, even if only 1 person started it on Januari 15th, 142 million people would have been infected by March 20th in NY. Everyone would have had it by now.

That's the problem with all these different biased tests, different test criteria, different ways to count data. By now you can fit or disprove anything :/ The difference between R0 of 2.2 and 5.7 is so big you can make up anything you want...

So basically we only know less now :(

Naum said:
I wonder what the actual % death rate we would have had instead of the 0.5-1% if we did not have lockdowns around the world.

With the ones on ventilators, like 75-80% of them die anyways.
So in that case just ~20-25% more.

However, theres alot of people that dont reach that state, who sit around in hospitals with a "oxygen tank" hooked up to them, to help them breathe.
Sometimes that air is critital for them, sometimes they go into shock/have heart attacks, lunge cant open, and hospitals save them.

Overall? I dont know, probably atleast twice over, would be my guess.

The thing is if hospital systems are flooded, the "normal" patients that need a hospital, wont be able to get help either.
Which again leads to more deaths.

Its still best if spread doesnt go faster than the hospitals can follow.
Even if your going for herd immunity.

----

African countries will eventually answear this question for you Naum.
Alot of them barely have any health system.

Some of them are more scared to starve to death than this virus, and dont see the point in trying to "bend the curve" (because hospital capacity is so small, it doesnt make any differnce) so their going for quick herd immunity, by mass spread, as their "only" option. So they can go back to work faster afterwards and not starve to death.

So a few months from now, we should know.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 24 April 2020

John2290 said:

Yeah, It's not possible too be that infectious at near r6 and have been spreading since January which is confirmed now. It doesn't take a mathematician to make that assesment at a glance, the majority of us would be infected by the time lockdown started. r3 might even be too high, we can beat this and keep on top of it with social distancing, it's not as bad as thought. As long as there is no majour mutations too soon. 

I'm kinda surprised as well the CDC put this out.

A closer look at the data they used to get to that R0 5.7 estimate

We collected publicly available reports of 140 confirmed COVID-19 cases (mostly outside Hubei Province). These reports were published by the Chinese Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (China CDC) and provincial health commissions; accession dates were January 15–30, 2020 (Appendix 1 Table 1). Many of the individual reports were also published on the China CDC official website

How many red flags can you spot in that paragraph.....

Small sample size, early tests that weren't all that reliable, when you start testing you first find more cases since you're catching up, especially if trying to deny or downplay before then.

That fastest observed doubling rate in reported deaths of 4.6 days in Russia (170 deaths April 14th, 361 deaths April 19th) which matches the R0 of 2.2, is far more reliable than these 140 reported cases. The doubling rate for reported deaths yesterday was 6 days in Russia, slowing down now as well.

Imo, R0 of 5.7, not a chance.