By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Based on those antibody tests and assuming the death rate is undercounted. We are looking at around 0.8-1% mortality rate which is significantly worse than the flu still, but not nearly as bad as originally thought.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
jason1637 said:

Cuomo revealed some results from the antibody testl. 13.9% New Yorkers tested positive in this test.

NYC is ~21%

Long Island  ~16%

Westchester ~11%

Upstate NY ~3%

He also said that the State has not counted at home deaths into the 15,5k deaths.  So with nursing home and hospital deaths the rate of death is 0.5% based on the antibody test right now. Will probably end up being more than that when all the deaths from homes and the deaths still happening at hospitals and nursing homes have been accounted for. 

When its all said and done, its probably gonna end up higher than that, could still be ~1%+.

1) This is assumeing that the way they got the survey info is done right, and the randomness of its sample size reflects the rest of society at large in that area.

So its not 100% certain in anyway.
2) 3000 is a decent enough sample size but, theres still error margins that can effect things.

3) Plus death lags, if you test for antibodies "now", you need to factor in the death lag (not look at current deaths).
Dieing to this thing can take a week or two.

Basically 1-2 weeks from now, we should look at deaths in NYC (+add in the home deaths)
and then we should be able to get a more accuate number of deaths this thing causes.

newwil7l said:
Based on those antibody tests and assuming the death rate is undercounted. We are looking at around 0.8-1% mortality rate which is significantly worse than the flu still, but not nearly as bad as originally thought.

^ my thinking too, at minimum I'd suspect number to be over 0.8%.

Yeah this is like 8-16 times more deadly than a flu (bad ones are usually like 0.1%).
Then you need to factor in how much more easily it spreads (so larger amounts of people could get it).
(flu have R0 like 1.3 (on avg 1 person infects 1,3 others), while coronavirus is supposedly over 3, 1 person infects 3 others)

This could still be like getting 19-37 years of flu all at once (if you let it infect like 70% to reach herd immunity).
(which is why we re now all practising social distanceing)

*OBS!  
That 0.8% is just for the US strain of the virus (which supposedly is abit milder). This also assumes hospitals can keep up with demand, and treatments.
In 3rd world countries, I bet its much higher.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 23 April 2020

John2290 said:
jason1637 said:

NYC is ~21%

Long Island  ~16%

Westchester ~11%

Upstate NY ~3%

Blacks ~22%

Latinos ~22%

Other ~22%

Whites ~9%

Asians ~7%

He also said that the State has not counted at home deaths into the 15k deaths.  So with bursing home and hospital deaths the rate of death is 0.5% based on the antibody test right now. Will probably end up being more than that when all the deaths from homes and the deaths still happening at hospitals and nursing homes  have been accounted for. 

14% is really good news. I was half expecting these tests to come out at something stupid like 5%. This is celebration worthy news if the it holds true with more testing and with 3000 people in that pool, I can't see why it shouldn't stay at that general %, maybe even edge higher. 

I wanna see what that percentage is for the city alone, It's gotta be waaaay higher. Fingers crossed for something ober 30%. I mean at 30% you can't get a second wave bigger than the first if the population cap is on the lower end, hell, New York is a big state landwise, the city might show something closer to half than closer to the 14%. 

City is ~21%. Its in the same post you quoted. 

John2290 said:
jason1637 said:

14% is really good news. I was half expecting these tests to come out at something stupid like 5%. This is celebration worthy news if the it holds true with more testing and with 3000 people in that pool, I can't see why it shouldn't stay at that general %, maybe even edge higher. 

I wanna see what that percentage is for the city alone, It's gotta be waaaay higher. Fingers crossed for something ober 30%. I mean at 30% you can't get a second wave bigger than the first if the population cap is on the lower end, hell, New York is a big state landwise, the city might show something closer to half than closer to the 14%. 

~80% of the population in NYC are still vunerable to it.

So yes a 2nd wave could still be way more than it has currently killed in NYC.
Also what right now is 0.8-1% mortality rates, might be higher if you get both coronavirus + normal flu at once.

Normal flu doesnt go away, just because another virus is out there spreading.
Thats why experts suspect a 2nd wave to be much much worse than the first one.
(history also shows this, with the spanish flu)

jason1637 said:
jason1637 said:

Cuomo revealed some results from the antibody testl. 13.9% New Yorkers tested positive in this test.

NYC is ~21%

Long Island  ~16%

Westchester ~11%

Upstate NY ~3%

Blacks ~22%

Latinos ~22%

Other ~22%

Whites ~9%

Asians ~7%

He also said that the State has not counted at home deaths into the 15k deaths.  So with bursing home and hospital deaths the rate of death is 0.5% based on the antibody test right now. Will probably end up being more than that when all the deaths from homes and the deaths still happening at hospitals and nursing homes  have been accounted for. 

I found the article which suggest as many as 2.7 million New Yorkers have already had the virus.
It also says the the virus must have been circulating since early Februari.

That's a date range of 82 days, including today.

It's mathematically possible if at least 12 people were already infected Februari 1st, then unhampered growth all the way to today would make it reach 2.7 million people today. However these anti body tests are from people already done and over with the disease, can't have anti bodies until after the incubation time thus substract at least 5 days from when the tests were taken. Say it only took a week to take all those blood samples and get the analyzed, so let's substract 8 days from the 82 (5 incubation and 3 for mid point in testing), 76 days to let it grow.

New Yorkers must really suck at social distancing, or it's more infectious and R0 of 2.2 is incorrect. The math says at least 26 actively infected people must have been walking around in NYC on Februari 1st to make this possible. It's possible, yet either the R0 of 2.2 is wrong and the virus is far more infectious or New Yorkers really suck at social distancing and all the measures did absolutely nothing at all.

https://www.iheartradio.ca/610cktb/news/covid-19-82-yr-old-woman-is-new-york-s-first-coronavirus-death-1.10755441
The [first covid19] victim was an 82-year-old woman who passed away at a New York City hospital after being admitted on March 3rd.

That was reported on March 14th. If it was already spreading since early Februari, then why did it take so long for the first death to appear? Perhaps earlier deaths went undetected like in California.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6856758/coronavirus-california-early-deaths/
Two people with the coronavirus died in California as much as three weeks before the U.S. reported its first death from the disease in late February

Ok lets look at the test method

State researchers sampled blood from the approximately 3,000 people they had tested over two days, including about 1,300 in New York City, at grocery and big-box stores.

3000, decent sample size, however that's not a random sample. That's testing people that still go out to stores. People that are more at risk of exposure vs those staying at home, having done their shopping earlier or get their food delivered. Also chances are you will end up testing those that frequent the stores more often vs those that do a single run to minimize exposure. I also assume it was voluntary, and those that are more careful will naturally avoid participating.

What's the purpose of this test

“It is a way to say this person had the disease and they can go back into the work force,” Dr. Zucker said. “A strong test like we have can tell you that you have antibodies.”

So, we're going to give people immunity arm bands to clear them for work? I'm not quite seeing how this will play out in reality.

Plus:

But he cautioned that the length of any such immunity remained unknown. “The amount of time, we need to see. We don’t know that yet,” he said, adding, “They will last a while.”

A while... Not sure I can find that date on my calendar :)

Biased sample, math that doesn't fit very well, suggesting its far more contagious than we thought and all our current measures are for nothing, only raising more questions. It's good to do these tests, but make it a random sample at least ugh.

Around the Network

"New Yorkers must really suck at social distancing, or it's more infectious and R0 of 2.2 is incorrect. "

Havn't they floated numbers around of it being near R0= ~3 ?

*edit:

"3000, decent sample size, however that's not a random sample. That's testing people that still go out to stores. People that are more at risk of exposure vs those staying at home, having done their shopping earlier or get their food delivered. Also chances are you will end up testing those that frequent the stores more often vs those that do a single run to minimize exposure. I also assume it was voluntary, and those that are more careful will naturally avoid participating."

^ this all sounds like good arguements to me.

That survey is likely overestimateing the amount infected % by abit.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 23 April 2020

JRPGfan said:
jason1637 said:

When its all said and done, its probably gonna end up higher than that, could still be ~1%+.

1) This is assumeing that the way they got the survey info is done right, and the randomness of its sample size reflects the rest of society at large in that area.

So its not 100% certain in anyway.
2) 3000 is a decent enough sample size but, theres still error margins that can effect things.

3) Plus death lags, if you test for antibodies "now", you need to factor in the death lag (not look at current deaths).
Dieing to this thing can take a week or two.

Basically 1-2 weeks from now, we should look at deaths in NYC (+add in the home deaths)
and then we should be able to get a more accuate number of deaths this thing causes.

While there are quick polling methods and tests for some diseases that can gather results in a few hours, I strongly doubt the results you're seeing pertain to today as opposed to samples gathered over the course of a few days a while back, and then the time needed to confirm results. Besides, these particular antibodies take weeks after the onset of symptoms to produce in measurable quantities that are able to be detected after the onset of symptoms (months or years even, depending on the disease, but likely on the lower range for this one).

Also, NYC, for instance, seems to be doing a fairly complete job of counting all probable deaths, since the total number of Covid-19 deaths (including the probable cases) are more than a match for the excess mortality in the city, versus the average, since the beginning of March. More, even.

JRPGfan said:

"New Yorkers must really suck at social distancing, or it's more infectious and R0 of 2.2 is incorrect. "

Havn't they floated numbers around of it being near R0= ~3 ?

*edit:

"3000, decent sample size, however that's not a random sample. That's testing people that still go out to stores. People that are more at risk of exposure vs those staying at home, having done their shopping earlier or get their food delivered. Also chances are you will end up testing those that frequent the stores more often vs those that do a single run to minimize exposure. I also assume it was voluntary, and those that are more careful will naturally avoid participating."

^ this all sounds like good arguements to me.

That survey is likely overestimateing the amount infected % by abit.

True different numbers have been floating around for example here

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahaelle/2020/04/07/the-covid19-coronavirus-disease-may-be-twice-as-contagious-as-we-thought/#fa75e4f29a6a
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0282_article?deliveryName=USCDC_333-DM25287

A single person with COVID-19 may be more likely to infect up to 5 or 6 other people, rather than 2 or 3, suggests a new study of Chinese data from the CDC.

That's if you still want to trust Chinese data at this point :)

It's a double edged sword though:

The new study, published in the Emerging Infectious Diseases journal, shifts the R0 for COVID-19 from about 2.2 to about 5.7. With the lower number, only 55% of a population needs to be immune from COVID-19 to stop its spread through herd immunity. Herd immunity refers to enough of a population being immune to a disease that the disease cannot travel through it. 

But if more people get infected from a single person with COVID-19, then more people need to be protected from the disease to stop it from continuing to spread. With an R0 of 5.7, approximately 82% of the population needs to be immune to reach herd immunity and stop the disease from spreading easily through the population, the researchers concluded.

They're lowering the incubation time as well

The new calculations also estimate the incubation period—the time from being exposed to the virus and developing symptoms—to be an average of 4.2 days, which is in line with most other estimates (though symptoms can still take up to 14 days to show up).

Doubling time of 2.3 to 3.3 days instead of 6 to 7 days.
The growth rate r is estimated to be 0.29/day (95% CI 0.21–0.37/day), corresponding to a doubling time of 2.4 days
Quite a difference.

It all means we need to be extra careful and more diligent with social distancing

We found R0 is likely to be 5.7 given our current state of knowledge, with a broad 95% CI (3.8–8.9). Among many factors, the lack of awareness of this new pathogen and the Lunar New Year travel and gathering in early and mid-January 2020 might or might not play a role in the high R0. A recent study based on structural analysis of the virus particles suggests SARS-CoV-2 has a much higher affinity to the receptor needed for cell entry than the 2003 SARS virus (21), providing a molecular basis for the high infectiousness of SARS-CoV-2.

How contagious SARS-CoV-2 is in other countries remains to be seen. Given the rapid rate of spread as seen in current outbreaks in Europe, we need to be aware of the difficulty of controlling SARS-CoV-2 once it establishes sustained human-to-human transmission in a new population (20). Our results suggest that a combination of control measures, including early and active surveillance, quarantine, and especially strong social distancing efforts, are needed to slow down or stop the spread of the virus. If these measures are not implemented early and strongly, the virus has the potential to spread rapidly and infect a large fraction of the population, overwhelming healthcare systems. Fortunately, the decline in newly confirmed cases in China and South Korea in March 2020 and the stably low incidences in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore strongly suggest that the spread of the virus can be contained with early and appropriate measures.

Even if 20% indeed already have anti bodies in NYC, it won't stop until 82% has been infected, which doesn't mean it won't reach the last 18%. It just means that you need 82% with anti bodies to prevent another wave from taking hold, hoping the anti bodies are and stay strong enough to prevent another outbreak.

Cyran said:
Lafiel said:

The drug itself was worth a closer inspection, because it has several mechanisms (not all of which are well understood) how it can inhibit virus reproduction and it has shown so in in vitro tests. But it seems the dose needed to reach high enough (Hydroxy-)Chloroquine concentrations in cells/tissue targeted by SARS-CoV-2 - especially in the middle/later stages of the illness - is too much for the body/the heart to handle. Additionally there now is good evidence that targeted tissue is present in many organs including the heart, so treatment with a drug that can negatively affect the heart function seems too risky in critical cases.

There still might be a "golden window" in the earlier stages of the disease, when not as many virus particles are around, in which more tolerable doses of HQC/QC could be effective in lowering the amount of successful reproductions. Maybe that's what the first (limited, not peer reviewed) study picked up on.

Let me be clear from my last statement, I am in no way saying it a cure but rather it may be useful in treatment in some cases and that it worth further study.  As Lafiel said it seem the usefulness window is most likely only in the early stages and not useful if you do not find out you have it till you already in the later stages.  

In this video as 22min and 27 secound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFRwnhfWXxo&list=PLQ_IRFkDInv-NvRRUN0aqe51sMs188k8z&index=16&t=0s

He talked about a study out that using hydroxychloroquine with azithromycin has shown promising results when used in the early stage of contagion. 

My only point was that while it most defiantly not a magic cure that don't mean that under the right situations hydroxychloroquine  cant be useful for treating some patients and it still worth letting the scientist continue to do the studies and see what they find.

Better off waiting until all this garbage is over and done with to study hydroxycloroquine and focus on actually finding drugs that combat the coronavirus.

We only have finite resources, we should be collectively focusing on solving the issue and not focusing on what-ifs like hydroxychloroquine just because the president thinks he is a medical expert and heard it might be effective from a friend whose sisters mother saw a meme on facebook.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

JRPGfan said:
John2290 said:

~80% of the population in NYC are still vunerable to it.

So yes a 2nd wave could still be way more than it has currently killed in NYC.
Also what right now is 0.8-1% mortality rates, might be higher if you get both coronavirus + normal flu at once.

Normal flu doesnt go away, just because another virus is out there spreading.
Thats why experts suspect a 2nd wave to be much much worse than the first one.
(history also shows this, with the spanish flu)

There are cases of people overcoming Covid without producing antibodies. T-cells and cytokines can take care of it before antibodies are needed.

The IgG antibody test doesn't become 95%+ accurate until after ~21days - the test gives false negatives until the antibodies are high enough to register.

The 2nd wave of Spanish Flu killed more because it had mutated to become more deadly to the fit/healthy. The people who caught the milder version in the 1st wave had immunity to the deadlier 2nd wave strain.

Last edited by Pyro as Bill - on 23 April 2020

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!