By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

John2290 said:
JRPGfan said:

~80% of the population in NYC are still vunerable to it.

So yes a 2nd wave could still be way more than it has currently killed in NYC.
Also what right now is 0.8-1% mortality rates, might be higher if you get both coronavirus + normal flu at once.

Normal flu doesnt go away, just because another virus is out there spreading.
Thats why experts suspect a 2nd wave to be much much worse than the first one.
(history also shows this, with the spanish flu)

Lets wait and see on that with a larger smaple but this is the first good news in weeks, it's a ticket out of this shit and nah, If these numbers are true it means a massive difference in hesitation of roll outs and brings down what we have to worry about by a large margin. I get the trouble with the second wave but the higher that number the better the worlds future is on all sides of this mess and who the fuck would have believed that number was going to hit double digits even in the city but 14% state wide is such a massive improvement over all the projections  I was reading silly figures like 3-5% which would have left things at at over 3% mortality. Besides for this meaning tens of millions less dead in the third world and shaving almost 200 million off the worst worldwide projections, We in the west can keep the vulnerable and people with conditions locked down and resume to something manageable without having society crumble aroubd us if that should be a last reaort should everythig go sideways. This is good news, man, enjoy it. 

Why are you celebrating it being far more infectious (if the tests are accurate) than previous believed, needing a far higher percentage with enough anti bodies to reach herd immunity, which is still a big maybe how long and how much that will be effective.

If anything, it's only more dangerous if this is accurate. 0.8% of the world population is still 62 million people. Herd immunity won't be reached until 82% has enough capable anti bodies. This only points to even more strict social distancing to limit the damage.

If the 2.7 million figure based on (a little biased) anti body testing in NY is true, reported deaths in NY state divided by 2.7 million is a current death rate of 0.77%. Of course with average time of 20 days between onset of symptoms and death, that rate is still going to go up, plus uncounted / undetected deaths.

The more infectious, the harder it will be to keep the vulnerable safe. I feel more worried for my wife now and will not go to the chiropractor any time soon, not worth the risk.

I am getting my pool opened next Thursday (a bit early but my pool guy wants to escape up North). He said he'll do all the work there, no need to come see him. I guess I'll put the cash in the pool shed before he shows up and leave everything alone for 4 days (water and chemicals need to settle anyway) to be absolutely safe. I still haven't been to any store since early March, just to the trail to get some fresh air while avoiding people. It's only a few km from here so tank is still nearly full. Food still well stocked.

Meanwhile Ontario posted another new daily high reported cases:
Ontario health officials logged 54 new COVID-19 deaths and recorded a single-day high by confirming 634 more cases on Thursday, as the province continues to ramp up testing for the novel coronavirus.
One positive, no new cases reported in my local county the last 2 days. Yet if these anti body results are true then there could be a thousand undetected cases walking around...

Around the Network

Don't mess with an Italian from New York, Gov. Cuomo lays down some facts  

Yes. Lets inject disinfectant.  Moron.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

lol, I was watching that live and after the initial "wait what?" I can't help but wonder how people will defend him on this one. Should be fun. Might be one of the few dumb statements that people just have to give up on and only put up the qualifier that Trump isn't expected to be a doctor. Takes a special kind of stupid to think that injecting bleach might be ok though. 

Pemalite said:

He's right though.

Injecting someone with bleach or putting someone in a microwave would result in the virus dying.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

At least 36,000 more people have died during the coronavirus pandemic over the last month than the official Covid-19 death counts report, a review of mortality data in 12 countries shows

In the last month, far more people died in these countries than in previous years, The New York Times found. The totals include deaths from Covid-19 as well as those from other causes, likely including people who could not be treated as hospitals became overwhelmed.

Area PCT. above normal Excess deaths Reported Covid-19 deaths = Difference
Spain
Mar. 9 - Apr. 5
66% 19,700 12,401 = 7,300
Ecuador
Mar. 1 - Apr. 15
82% 7,600 503 = 7,100
France
Mar. 9 - Apr. 5
32% 14,500 8,059 = 6,500
England & Wales
Mar. 7 - Apr. 10
33% 16,700 10,335 = 6,300
New York City
Mar. 11 - Apr. 22
300% 19,200 15,411 = 3,800
Netherlands
Mar. 9 - Apr. 5
33% 4,000 2,166 = 1,900
Jakarta
March
57% 1,600 84 = 1,500
Istanbul
Mar. 9 - Apr. 12
29% 2,100 1,006 = 1,100
Switzerland
Mar. 9 - Apr. 5
21% 1,000 712 = 300
Belgium
Mar. 9 - Apr. 5
25% 2,300 2,373 = -30
Sweden
Mar. 9 - Apr. 12
12% 1,100 1,160 = -50

Of course, mortality data in the middle of a pandemic is not perfect. The disparities between the official death counts and the total rise in deaths most likely reflect limited testing for the virus, rather than intentional undercounting. Officially, about 165,000 people have died worldwide of the coronavirus as of Tuesday.

But the total death numbers offer a more complete portrait of the pandemic, experts say, especially because most countries report only those Covid-19 deaths that occur in hospitals.

And the virus could have been circulating in California as early as mid Januari

https://globalnews.ca/news/6856758/coronavirus-california-early-deaths/

Two people with the coronavirus died in California as much as three weeks before the U.S. reported its first death from the disease in late February
Dr. Sara Cody, health director in Northern California’s Santa Clara County, said the deaths were missed because of a scarcity of testing and the federal government’s limited guidance on who should be tested. The infections in the two patients were confirmed by way of autopsy tissue samples that were sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for analysis.

Officials said the two Santa Clara County patients died at home — a 57-year-old woman on Feb. 6 and a 69-year-old man on Feb. 17 — and that neither had traveled out of the country to a coronavirus outbreak area. Family members identified the woman as Patricia Dowd of San Jose, a manager at a semiconductor company who became sick in late January with flu-like symptoms.

Because it can take one or two weeks between the time people get infected and when they get sick enough to die, the Feb. 6 death suggests the virus was circulating in California in late January, if not earlier. Previously, the first infection reported anywhere in the U.S. was in the Seattle area on Jan. 21.

Caifornia isn't as hard hit as NY though. Is it less contagious on the West Coast, different weather, different strain perhaps? California did put on the brakes a lot sooner I think.

Pemalite said:

I had to watch it to see if he actually said that..... I couldn't believe it.... I still cant.

How can the president of the US, say such things live on tv? in a press talk?

On a side note, how the hell do you plan on getting strong Ultra violet lights, inside a persons lunges?
Their laying there in a ventilator, and now its time to get a light bulb up that lunge, so we can clear away that nasty virus!
(it could be possible... I just dont see how on a mass scale, as a form of treatment this works out)

COVID-19 might just kill enough more Trump-voters (based on demographics) to cost Trump the the election: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/23/how-coronavirus-could-upend-2020-battlegrounds-204708

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Tossing people into an active volcano also kills the virus. Has that been checked?