By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Humanity hasn't died yet? Damn this virus is really incompetent if it can't beat such an easy opponent. :L

Around the Network

US is gonna hit 1million confirmed cases within April right?

John2290 said:

Just found out that UV lights can be inserted under the skin and has been done... still can't inject disinfectants, though.

That doesnt sound plesent to say the least...

I think the idea of shoveing a light bulb (obviously has to be formed right), down a persons throat, and into their lunges.... might be possible.
Thats not gonna be a enjoyable experiance though.

A pill that works, would be a much easier thing to swallow.

John2290 said:
JRPGfan said:

I think the idea of shoveing a light bulb (obviously has to be formed right), down a persons throat, and into their lunges.... might be possible.

They could do it while intubating as they gotta get that apparatus in anyway and I doubt putting a small pill into the lungs would be an option, How much of it resides in the digestive track though? Hmm. It's probably not going to happen cause this is very different than TB which it was used in the 50's to treat alas, at least Trump is only half an idiot and I wouldn't be surprised he began testing it on the military. 

Not a pill that lights up with UV..... but like a normal pill, with medicin inside it, that works against the virus.

As good as trying everything might be, even UV light down a persons lunges.
Its not really something that sounds practical. Which was my point John.

Normal medicin solution would be much much better.
UV light would be better used as a form of prevention, in stores + near door handles on buildings, that sort of thing, to prevent spread.

Wouldn't UV light burn your lung tissue as much as kill the virus. You don't have a thick layer of skin for nothing...

Far UVC light could help in stores
https://www.genengnews.com/topics/translational-medicine/uv-light-that-is-safe-for-humans-but-bad-for-bacteria-and-viruses/

“Unfortunately, conventional germicidal UV light is also a human health hazard and can lead to skin cancer and cataracts, which prevents its use in public spaces,”

In this study, aerosolized H1N1 virus—a common strain of flu virus—was released into a test chamber and exposed to very low doses of 222-nm far-UVC light. A control group of aerosolized virus was not exposed to the UVC light. The far-UVC light efficiently inactivated the flu viruses, with about the same efficiency as conventional germicidal UV light.

At a price of less than $1000 per lamp—a cost that would surely decrease if the lamps were mass produced—far-UVC lights are relatively inexpensive. This could allow the tool to be utilized in far more places than UV lights are currently being employed, leading to potentially wide sweeping impacts toward diminishing the spread of many infectious diseases.

I wouldn't stick it down my throat though:

“Far-UVC light has a very limited range and cannot penetrate through the outer dead-cell layer of human skin or the tear layer in the eye, so it’s not a human health hazard,” Dr. Brenner noted. “But because viruses and bacteria are much smaller than human cells, far-UVC light can reach their DNA and kill them.”

Around the Network
John2290 said:
JRPGfan said:

They could do it while intubating as they gotta get that apparatus in anyway and I doubt putting a small pill into the lungs would be an option,

Just about the last thing you'd want to do is irradiate the lungs internally. Sure it would destroy a virus, along with everything else that is around, FOR EXAMPLE THE LUNGS.

Let's not get down to the level of Orangehead here, stay at least somewhat scientific.

JRPGfan said:
Pemalite said:

Yes. Lets inject disinfectant.  Moron.

I had to watch it to see if he actually said that..... I couldn't believe it.... I still cant.

How can the president of the US, say such things live on tv? in a press talk?

On a side note, how the hell do you plan on getting strong Ultra violet lights, inside a persons lunges?
Their laying there in a ventilator, and now its time to get a light bulb up that lunge, so we can clear away that nasty virus!
(it could be possible... I just dont see how on a mass scale, as a form of treatment this works out)

Honestly? Surprised no one has jumped in to say he "didn't say that" and "it's been taken out of context" like what happens normally.

Light can penetrate tissue if it's strong enough though... But we should remember that UV light has a cancerous effect on the body.
https://www.who.int/uv/faq/whatisuv/en/index2.html

Only 4 new cases of the Coronavirus in the last week for my whole state... It will be interesting to see how the rates change as we enter winter/cooler months.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Honestly? Surprised no one has jumped in to say he "didn't say that" and "it's been taken out of context" like what happens normally.

Light can penetrate tissue if it's strong enough though... But we should remember that UV light has a cancerous effect on the body.
https://www.who.int/uv/faq/whatisuv/en/index2.html

Only 4 new cases of the Coronavirus in the last week for my whole state... It will be interesting to see how the rates change as we enter winter/cooler months.

from what I heard the offiicial statement is that he was sarcastic ..

imagine that, the president speaking sarcastically/joking in front of millions of viewers that hope for answers and direction, when 50k his citizens have already died of the disease..

in my opinion that's an even worse look than him just being dumb

Luxembourg just released it's newest numbers on Covid-19, and they're pretty great. 3007 patients have recovered already out of 3695, which means we're already on the way to beat the virus.

Sadly, again 2 persons died, bringing the tally to 85. That's about 2% of the normal deaths in a year in Luxembourg.

Additionally to the updated numbers, Luxembourg now came with entire sets of graphs and statistics. So, here you go, all the stats from Luxembourg in one go:

https://gouvernement.lu/en/dossiers.gouv_msan%2Ben%2Bdossiers%2B2020%2Bcorona-virus.html

Numbers of infected vs recoveries

Deaths by age group. For the record, the average age is 83, the median age is 85.

Number of tests in total and number of positive tests, also in total up to each date.

Hospitalisations, first graph shows how many are in normal and how many in intensive care each day, while the second graph shows the number of new admissions versus the release of patients each day.

Finally, the current situation. Black is the number of total deaths, Red the number of ICU beds in use, Dark blue is the number of positive tests each day, while the light blue curve is the same, but with a 7 day moving average.

So yeah, hope you found that as interesting as I did.

Edit: Sorry, Doublepost, dunno how that happend

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 24 April 2020