By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

John2290 said:
SvennoJ said:

Wouldn't UV light burn your lung tissue as much as kill the virus. You don't have a thick layer of skin for nothing...

Far UVC light could help in stores
https://www.genengnews.com/topics/translational-medicine/uv-light-that-is-safe-for-humans-but-bad-for-bacteria-and-viruses/

“Unfortunately, conventional germicidal UV light is also a human health hazard and can lead to skin cancer and cataracts, which prevents its use in public spaces,”

In this study, aerosolized H1N1 virus—a common strain of flu virus—was released into a test chamber and exposed to very low doses of 222-nm far-UVC light. A control group of aerosolized virus was not exposed to the UVC light. The far-UVC light efficiently inactivated the flu viruses, with about the same efficiency as conventional germicidal UV light.

At a price of less than $1000 per lamp—a cost that would surely decrease if the lamps were mass produced—far-UVC lights are relatively inexpensive. This could allow the tool to be utilized in far more places than UV lights are currently being employed, leading to potentially wide sweeping impacts toward diminishing the spread of many infectious diseases.

I wouldn't stick it down my throat though:

“Far-UVC light has a very limited range and cannot penetrate through the outer dead-cell layer of human skin or the tear layer in the eye, so it’s not a human health hazard,” Dr. Brenner noted. “But because viruses and bacteria are much smaller than human cells, far-UVC light can reach their DNA and kill them.”

Maybe but we poision people to cure cancer so... eh, I'm not advocating it, I just thought it was interesting when the media ripped him for it but it turned out to be a legitimate treatment for the lungs a half centruy ago. It certainly blew my mind a little. 

Perhaps when you need to be put on an ecmo machine you might as well try this

Ultraviolet Irradiation of Blood: “The Cure That Time Forgot”?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6122858/

That was replaced by antibiotics, yet those don't work against a virus, add a UVC light to an Ecmo machine and clean the blood while oxygenating it. I don't know if that would be effective or safe (might just kill your anti bodies as fast as the virus)

Here's a study on the effect of UVC on the lungs from a year ago.
https://www.jhltonline.org/article/S1053-2498(19)30118-4/abstract

This is the first clinical trial evaluating a therapeutic intervention during EVLP. As in our pre-clinical studies, UVC does not alter virus quantities measured by PCR (virus fragments) during EVLP, however it does appear to confer impairment in virus infectivity. The combination of UVC therapy with an ultra-short course of direct anti-virus agents may provide the ability to prevent transmission altogether, allowing expansion of transplantation using HCV+ organs.

This is for 'cleaning' the lungs for a lung transplant though. Taking the lungs out of the body, treating them, and putting them back in seems a bit of a hassle :)

Around the Network

Whats with the jump in Ecuador? 11k plus in a day, that's half their total cases in one day.

Chicho said:

Whats with the jump in Ecuador? 11k plus in a day, that's half their total cases in one day.

Comparing their stats with a pic from the day before, GUAYAS jumped from 7391 cases to 15,365, most got a big increase compared to their previous total. They must have changed their way of reporting cases.

Ah, here it is
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-24/ecuador-test-results-are-in-and-confirmed-cases-have-doubled

An increased capacity to process coronavirus tests caused the number of confirmed cases in Ecuador to more than double in a day to 22,719, second only to Brazil in Latin America.

“It’s not a rebound, it’s the presentation of delayed results” that reflects greater capacity to carry out testing in more labs, Interior Minister Maria Paula Romo said during a presentation of the data. “That’s good news.”

Lafiel said:
Pemalite said:

Honestly? Surprised no one has jumped in to say he "didn't say that" and "it's been taken out of context" like what happens normally.

Light can penetrate tissue if it's strong enough though... But we should remember that UV light has a cancerous effect on the body.
https://www.who.int/uv/faq/whatisuv/en/index2.html

Only 4 new cases of the Coronavirus in the last week for my whole state... It will be interesting to see how the rates change as we enter winter/cooler months.

from what I heard the offiicial statement is that he was sarcastic ..

imagine that, the president speaking sarcastically/joking in front of millions of viewers that hope for answers and direction, when 50k his citizens have already died of the disease..

in my opinion that's an even worse look than him just being dumb

He wasn't being sarcastic.
But if that is how Trump apologetics perceived it... They will really make up an excuse for anything.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

John2290 said:

Just found out that UV lights can be inserted under the skin and has been done... still can't inject disinfectants, though.

Alcohol is a disinfectant. It can be 'injected' orally.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

Yes. Lets inject disinfectant.  Moron.

Pemalite said:

Honestly? Surprised no one has jumped in to say he "didn't say that" and "it's been taken out of context" like what happens normally.

Light can penetrate tissue if it's strong enough though... But we should remember that UV light has a cancerous effect on the body.
https://www.who.int/uv/faq/whatisuv/en/index2.html

Only 4 new cases of the Coronavirus in the last week for my whole state... It will be interesting to see how the rates change as we enter winter/cooler months.

As per the clip, I don't see anywhere where he said that. Looks as though what he said was taken out of context.

Trump mentions the disinfectant and asks if there's something that can be done with that with injections as well. He says it would be interesting to check that and that medical doctors would have to be used (because obviously he's not a doctor and doesn't know for sure if that can be done).

Now how many people know for certain this can't be done in anyway? I for one, based on what I know, would assume it's not possible, but who's to say it's not possible in some specific manner? If it wasn't possible, then I don't know what was so bad about what Trump said. He's being more open to possibilities at this time since it's about saving lives, so if it's not possible, so what? If he had said it worked and demanded it be implemented asap, then that would certainly be a problem. Questioning possibilities shouldn't be a bad thing. I'd hate for the scientific community and their backers to start thinking that way.

Why is it that in general, when Trump acts as if he knows everything, some people go after him because they say that's not true, yet when Trump says something like this, being fairly clear that he doesn't know everything while looking for answers, those same people go after him because supposedly he should know everything?

So who's right and who's wrong? Is anybody right?

I wonder what people would have said back in the day, if the President questioned blasting peoples bodies with radiation to cure cancer?

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 24 April 2020

Pemalite said:
Lafiel said:

from what I heard the offiicial statement is that he was sarcastic ..

imagine that, the president speaking sarcastically/joking in front of millions of viewers that hope for answers and direction, when 50k his citizens have already died of the disease..

in my opinion that's an even worse look than him just being dumb

He wasn't being sarcastic.
But if that is how Trump apologetics perceived it... They will really make up an excuse for anything.

I'll defend him.

Without any medical knowledge, he theoretically co-invented chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

Smokers are faring far better than originally thought. The French are giving people nicotene patches but it's more likely that the tar is acting as a filter or nicotene is acting as a disinfectant in the lungs. I think the French are wrong and Trump is right. Extra nicotene in the blood won't do anything but a lung disinfectant will aid against the virus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/french-study-suggests-smokers-at-lower-risk-of-getting-coronavirus

Last edited by Pyro as Bill - on 24 April 2020

Bring the light inside the body and inject industrial bleach. Just like grandma used to do.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
Bring the light inside the body and inject industrial bleach. Just like grandma used to do.

You laugh but that's what radiotherapy does.

There's not really any difference between a poison and a medicine.

This is really weird:

http://www.rfi.fr/en/science-and-technology/20200423-french-researchers-suggest-nicotine-could-protect-against-covid-19

"Researchers from several institutions saw that of the 11,000 or so patients hospitalised in Paris public hospitals for Covid-19 at the start of April, only 8.5 percent were smokers, compared to 25.4 percent of the general public."

"tested positive for Covid-19 and found a similar phenomeon: the 343 hospitalised for serious complications had a smoking rate of 4.4 percent, and 5.3 percent of the 139 who were sent home with less serious symptoms smoked. Upon further investigation, accounting for age and sex, the researchers found that the small number of smokers appeared to have had some kind of protection against the virus."

"The findings were in line with a study on Covid-19 in China," (so china found the same corrolation that france now found)

The French study “confirms that active smokers are protected against the SARS-Cov-2 infection,”.
“The reasons for this protection are not established, but nicotine could be a candidate.”

Basically they suspect the virus doesnt like nicotine.

“Although the chemistry of tobacco smoke is complex, these data are consistent with the hypothesis that its protective role takes place through direct action on various types of nAChRs [nicotine receptors] expressed in neurons, immune cells (including macrophages), cardiac tissue, lungs, and blood vessels.”

"In other words, nicotine could block the virus from entering the body through neurons in the olfactory system or through lung cells.
The hypothesis remains to be proven. The researchers are looking to organise a clinical study using nicotine patches, pending approval from French health authorities."

reminds me of this:

"The chief spokesperson and lobbyist Nick Naylor is the Vice President of the Academy of Tobacco Studies. He is talented in speaking and spins arguments to defend the cigarette industry in the most difficult situations. His best friends are Polly Bailey that works in the Moderation Council in alcohol business, and Bobby Jay Bliss of the gun business own advisory group SAFETY. They frequently meet each other in a bar and they self-title the M.O.D. Squad, a.k.a. Merchants of Death, disputing which industry has killed more people. Nick's greatest enemy is Vermont's Senator Ortolan Finistirre, who defends in the Senate the use of a skull and crossbones on cigarette packs. Nick's son Joey Naylor lives with his mother, and has the chance to know his father in a business trip. When the ambitious reporter Heather Holloway betrays Nick disclosing confidences he had in bed with her, his life turns upside-down. But Nick is good in what he does for the mortgage."

Like one of my favorite movies of all time.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 24 April 2020