By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Next in line is Wasteland 3 in around two months, right?

Around the Network

wow so I've been playing a lot of Mafia III lately since they made the DLCs free.

It looked pretty bad even though it's supposed to have an Xbox One X patch. Turns out when they updated the game to the Definitive Edition, they removed the Xbox One X enhancements!
So I've been basically playing the shitty looking Xbox One version in glorious 900p and muddy textures for the past 20 or so hours.

Barozi said:
wow so I've been playing a lot of Mafia III lately since they made the DLCs free.

It looked pretty bad even though it's supposed to have an Xbox One X patch. Turns out when they updated the game to the Definitive Edition, they removed the Xbox One X enhancements!
So I've been basically playing the shitty looking Xbox One version in glorious 900p and muddy textures for the past 20 or so hours.

Redefining the word definitive.

I LOVE GIGGS said:
I was seriously hoping that Minecraft Dungeons would score something around 85-86.

I have big hopes for Minecraft Dungeons too but the price is very low, so I was not expecting a very high score.

I know the game will be a blast for me and my kids anyway. Watched a lot of stream and this is effectively a Diablo in Minecraft game (very simplified) and some concepts are pretty nice like the enchantments on gears that you randomly get and you can choose. I love this idea, would be something I could live with in a Diablo game.

I love the interactions with the Carmines in Gears 5. I've caught a few of the lines while playing. Definitely one of the coolest small features in the game. 

Around the Network

https://twitter.com/xbox/status/1264224599828361216?s=21

Tease?

smroadkill15 said:

I love the interactions with the Carmines in Gears 5. I've caught a few of the lines while playing. Definitely one of the coolest small features in the game. 

Yeah love them aswell :). Also great that we will get more and faster characters (but without the extra powers).

Figured that’s how Dungeons gonna make it’s money. Just like Minecraft

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

shikamaru317 said:
Barozi said:

WTF? Why would they remove the X enhancements once they are already done? Makes no sense. I wonder if they screwed over PS4 Pro people as well? That really sucks, I was looking forward to replaying the game and playing the DLC for the first time on my Series X next year. But if there are no enhancements, I won't be playing it again. The base Xbox One version was quite ugly when I played it the first time, had alot of issues including severe after images on many world objects caused by I assume a poorly implemented temporal anti-aliasing solution. 

yes they did.

https://www.windowscentral.com/mafia-iii-loses-its-xbox-one-x-and-ps4-pro-enhancements-latest-patch

Done with Mafia III.

Gameplay is alright. It takes a little while to get used to the driving but it's one of the better mechanics in the game. Shooting is alright as well but the game is way too hard IMO.
I completed it on easy and even then two shots can bring you at the brink of death. You're only given two bars of health at the start of the game and they will go down incredibly fast. You can unlock a few more bars but realistically you'll play the majority of the game with two or three bars. The checkpoints are pretty fair though.
Stealth is also a very important part of the game. Try to unlock a silent weapon as soon as possible and you can finish whole missions without any major battle.
They also added a slow-mo feature with an update. I've been using that combo all the time. You're even given some time back for killing people (or maybe it's for doing headshots Idk) during the slow mo, so walking into a room with eight gangsters and killing them in one slow mo with your silenced pistol is definitely possible.

Graphics look horrible without the X enhancements. There's so much aliasing in the game and poor texture quality. Lights and shadows are flickering constantly. It wouldn't look good even for a 360 game.

Even though the game is pretty old at this point and got tons of updates, it's still very buggy.
Cars will despawn directly in front of you, sometimes when driving around the city the game will freeze for 5 seconds (happened to me about a dozen times), I had one full crash, one time the street textures weren't loading and I could look into the void, etc.
While not technically a glitch, pedestrians are constantly throwing themselves on the street when you get close to them. This "evading" move often means that you're crushing their skulls with your car and might get in trouble with the police.
Achievements that didn't unlock:
- Story achievement
- 100 stealth takedowns (did around 200 during the game)
- earn $500,000 (easily earned over $1,000,000)
- Reach loyal state with all underbosses
Possibly more! (the game doesn't track any stats!)

It's a typical revenge story. Decent but the main missions don't have much variety. It usually ends with getting into a place, gunning everyone down or sneaking around and kill the underboss. There are no races, very few chase missions, the game even features driveable boats but they were never used in missions.
The game gets very slow during the middle part of the game where you can only advance the story by taking over a racket from an enemy crew. While the side missions are short and sweet for the most part, they are far too similar and thus get old quick. Also the place to kill the racket leader is always the same as the place in one of their missions so you could finish that mission, drive back to your contact and immediately return to kill the racket leader but of course new enemies spawned in the mean time. Lazy.

The DLCs were pretty good though. The missions had a lot more variation and added some good gameplay elements (renovating the bar or growing weed which gives tons of money)

All in all a disappointing Mafia game, but not a bad game per se. However, considering how glitchy the game is and the fact that the devs are using the same engine for the Mafia remake, I'm not sure if I should be hyped for it.
7/10

Last edited by Barozi - on 25 May 2020