By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

#13: If there were a contest about which game had the most cheesy one-liners, this game would surely win.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

#13 - If there were a contest about which game had the most cheesy one-liners, this game would surely win.

Portal?

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2/3)

Change From Last Year: -1

In my opinion, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is still the best game that Hideo Kojima has ever made. The rest of the main series is excellent as well, but it was here that everything just clicked perfectly. Perhaps it was because Snake Eater was effectively a prequel to the entire rest of the series, and as such it wasn't tied down by any of the rather convoluted storylines hampering some of the later games. It was the most focused of all the games, and told in my opinion the best self-contained story in the entire series. 

From the introductory section that ends with The Boss betraying Snake, to the main mission that climaxes with the final confrontation between the two, MGS 3 is just a perfectly build video game that features some of the greatest moments in video game history, with the various boss fights deserving a special mention.

mZuzek said:
SanAndreasX said:

Portal?

No, but to be fair it'd be up there.

The only other game I can think of off the top of my head that has that much cheese in its one-liners is the first Resident Evil, and I can't see a lot of people picking that game over RE2, RE4, or Code: Veronica.

S.Peelman said:
#13: If there were a contest about which game had the most cheesy one-liners, this game would surely win.

mZuzek said:

#13 - If there were a contest about which game had the most cheesy one-liners, this game would surely win.

Star Fox 64

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
ARamdomGamer said:

Star Fox 64

Yes.

Um, yeah, you guessed both of ours. I only checked Peelman's list now, but obviously that hint was too good a fit to be mere coincidence.

Been here for years, I would be pretty worried if SF64 wasn't that high for either of you.

#25 - Undertale - PC/NS

Undertale is a pretty special game, it has such a carefully crafted moral system that affects your game across multiple playthroughs and a ton of little changes in dialogue and events with it. It has a beautifully done tale with every character being extremely memorable, all tied together by the masterful soundtrack of Toby Fox. And the gameplay is pretty nice too, simplistic turn based combat with a really good sort of action system for evading attacks, again very simple, but it works well with the overall length of the adventure.

#24 - Okami - Wii/NS

A very unique adventure despite its obvious influences, from the well done brush mechanic, its simple yet effective combat, the beautiful world we get to explore accentuated by its incredible art direction, the memorable music and a pretty heartwarming story with a lot of character and background to a lot of secondary characters, is just fantastic.

ARamdomGamer said:
mZuzek said:

Yes.

Um, yeah, you guessed both of ours. I only checked Peelman's list now, but obviously that hint was too good a fit to be mere coincidence.

Been here for years, I would be pretty worried if SF64 wasn't that high for either of you.

Good score for you.

I swear mZuzek and me aren’t the same person.

mZuzek said:
ARamdomGamer said:

It's actually the lowest it's ever been on my list, but, yeah.

I genuinely laughed at your usage of my hint, you’re a hero.

Ok, big bois time.

#23 - The Wonderful 101 - Wii U

Dad Hideki Kamiya and Platinum Games at their fucking best. The Wonderful 101 has pretty much their deepest combat system, that rivals the likes of DMC3 and 5, the simple idea of having different shapes that you can turn into attacks gives it already a huge amount of character expression, whip out a time bomb to slow down your enemies, then quickly dispatch a sword attack, then a hammer for a bigger area of effect, all of these with increased or decreased strength depending on your power gauge to create these shapes, a decent amount of customization through different skill perks, is all very intricate without being daunting.

The story is just ridiculous, every single mission getting bigger and bigger in scope and threat levels, the humor and drama all on point where it needs to be, is just insane, you get all the tropes of action games perfectly executed in W101, with one of the greatest endings to any game ever. Again, my dad at his best. Characters while somewhat simple, perfectly fit with the flow and story of Wonderful, it delivers on all fronts.

Is not perfect, especially with the extra gameplay styles that Platinum likes to add that can be either intrusive or fun depending on who you ask and there still some ironing out to do with the camera in exploration more than anything, but the entire experience makes those shortcomings don't hurt as much.

In overall polish, Bayonetta 2 is still Platinum's best game, but Wonderful 101 hit a note with me that very few games are able to and is still my favorite game from them.

S.Peelman said:
mZuzek said:

Duke Nukem 3D obviously.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]