By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I choose...

Wii U 32 28.83%

N64 79 71.17%

Total:111

Wii U because of Pikmin 3, 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Mario Maker. There were some good games on N64 too, but they aged not very well. Almost all 3D games of this generation look awful today. Graphic isn't everything of course. Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time had a big impact on the industry game design. Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party 1 - 3 are still fun to play, but yeah.... no. I choose Wii U. Although it has a bit of pic your poison, because I don't like the forced motion controls on Wii U.

Around the Network
siebensus4 said:
Wii U because of Pikmin 3, 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Mario Maker. There were some good games on N64 too, but they aged not very well. Almost all 3D games of this generation look awful today. Graphic isn't everything of course. Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time had a big impact on the industry game design. Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party 1 - 3 are still fun to play, but yeah.... no. I choose Wii U. Although it has a bit of pic your poison, because I don't like the forced motion controls on Wii U.

In 1996-99 The N64 had the best looking games in the console market (until the DC arrived). Its games looked amazing in its time, the Wii U always looked a gen behind.

Rare and Nintendo team up are hard to beat

The N64 has two problems, it is a console focused on 3d games in a time of technology transition. Many great games were still made in 2D, nintendo lost much of the support because of it. The second problem is the use of media with low storage space, nintendo lost the support of third parties. Without investing in 2d games, there is no Mario 2d in this console, nintendo lost part of the audience, with the abandonment of the third Japanese, lost another part of its audience. Wiiu, despite the most incredible Zelda, of recent years is a console with many errors. Last edited by Agente42 - on 11 November 2019

Never owned a WiiU so I'll say N64 by default.
Although Im loving the WiiU ports on Switch.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I voted Wii U and I gave a few reasons. Thinking about it now, what factors make us choose the way we choose?

Memories? Games library? Sales? Legacy? Hardware design? Power? How it compares to other consoles of the time?

I still choose Wii U, though. I spent most of my years with the N64 disappointed with some high spots here and there (I actually think the N64 had the GotY from 1996-1998). I spent most of my time with the Wii U satisfied and wishing more people would give it a try.

Around the Network
SammyGiireal said:

In 1996-99 The N64 had the best looking games in the console market (until the DC arrived). Its games looked amazing in its time, the Wii U always looked a gen behind.

Completely disagree. The N64 games looked polygonal, blurry and ugly – even back in the 90's (just like PS1, which was basically a SNES with CDs). It was the first 3D generation and they should have stayed with 2D during this time. First when DC/PS2/GameCube arrived, 3D games looked decent.

Your argument that Wii U always looked a gen behind is ridiculous. Which comparable PS4 game looks better than Mario Kart 8? Tropical Freeze is even one of the best looking 2D platformers to date. Of course you can make scripted scenes that look impressive, but which need many GB space (I look at you TLOU), but that's not the way to make fun games with gameplay focus.

I believe that many Wii U games will be fun to watch and play in 20 years, while N64 games aged very very bad. It was just too early for 3D.

In case of legacy for the video game industry, the N64 clearly wins with 3D camera control, analog stick, rumble and 3D game design like in Mario 64 and OOT. The Wii U gamepad wasn't that revolutionary for games Nintendo may has hoped.

siebensus4 said:
SammyGiireal said:

Completely disagree. The N64 games looked polygonal, blurry and ugly – even back in the 90's (just like PS1, which was basically a SNES with CDs). It was the first 3D generation and they should have stayed with 2D during this time. First when DC/PS2/GameCube arrived, 3D games looked decent.

Your argument that Wii U always looked a gen behind is ridiculous. Which comparable PS4 game looks better than Mario Kart 8? Tropical Freeze is even one of the best looking 2D platformers to date. Of course you can make scripted scenes that look impressive, but which need many GB space (I look at you TLOU), but that's not the way to make fun games with gameplay focus.

I believe that many Wii U games will be fun to watch and play in 20 years, while N64 games aged very very bad. It was just too early for 3D.

In case of legacy for the video game industry, the N64 clearly wins with 3D camera control, analog stick, rumble and 3D game design like in Mario 64 and OOT. The Wii U gamepad wasn't that revolutionary for games Nintendo may has hoped.

Kart games aren't thing pretty much anywhere out side of the Mario Kart series. But Gran Turismo is a racing game...it looks way better than Mario Kart. The Wii U never had a game to compete with Uncharted, HZD, The Witcher 3 etc because it couldn't do it. It belonged in the 360/PS3 era tech wise. Now the N64 games might look out dated to you. I still have fun playing Mario 64, OoT, MM and Star Fox for example. But back in the mid to late 90s it was the eye candy system, I wonder how old you are. Turok 2 was a revelation in scale and graphics when it came out. Golden Eye was probably the most realistic shooter in 97. Ocarina of Time was graphically mind blowing when it came out (thus highest rated game ever). The N64 was the better Console in relation to when it was released, no question about that.

The Wii U had some good games, but I think people really over value it with rose-colored glasses. Between 2012 and 2017 the top games (rating wise) for the Wii U are:
-Breath of the Wild
-Super Mario 3D World
-Super Smash Bros Wii U
-Rayman Legends
-Bayonetta 2
-Windwaker HD
-Guacamelee
-Skylanders Swap Force
-Axiom Verge
-Deus Ex: Human Revolution

For the N64 the top rated games were:
-Ocarina of Time
-Perfect Dark
-007: Goldeneye
-Majoras Mask
-Super Mario 64
-Paper Mario
-Banjo Kazooie
-Wave Race 64
-Conkers Bad Fur Day
-Mario Tennis

I mean, just by comparing those lists I see a lot more Nintendo mainstay quality titles, and games that are still being mentioned even to this day. Meanwhile, two of the Wii U top games are indies (nothing wrong with indies just not big titles), one is a remaster, and one of them is a port of a "last gen" game.

Doctor_MG said:

The Wii U had some good games, but I think people really over value it with rose-colored glasses. Between 2012 and 2017 the top games (rating wise) for the Wii U are:
-Breath of the Wild
-Super Mario 3D World
-Super Smash Bros Wii U
-Rayman Legends
-Bayonetta 2
-Windwaker HD
-Guacamelee
-Skylanders Swap Force
-Axiom Verge

-Ocarina of Time
-Perfect Dark
-Majoras Mask
-Super Mario 64
-Paper Mario
-Banjo Kazooie
-Wave Race 64
-Conkers Bad Fur Day
-Mario Tennis

I mean, just by comparing those lists I see a lot more Nintendo mainstay quality titles, and games that are still being mentioned even to this day. Meanwhile, two of the Wii U top games are indies (nothing wrong with indies just not big titles), one is a remaster, and one of them is a port of a "last gen" game.

You want to talk about rose colored glasses, then talk about games like Conker, 007, and Perfect Dark? Game ratings are fine, but which series do you think is going to last longer, 007 or Splatoon, Conkers or Xenoblade, Banjo or Bayonetta? Two of these aren't even on the "top 10" list, but does anyone who didn't live through the N64 era even know what a Conker, Banjo, or 007 is? I doubt it, nor will they likely ever care.

Last edited by bigtakilla - on 12 November 2019

bigtakilla said:
Doctor_MG said:

-Breath of the Wild
-Super Mario 3D World
-Super Smash Bros Wii U
-Rayman Legends
-Bayonetta 2
-Windwaker HD
-Guacamelee
-Skylanders Swap Force
-Axiom Verge

-Ocarina of Time
-Perfect Dark
-Majoras Mask
-Super Mario 64
-Paper Mario
-Banjo Kazooie
-Wave Race 64
-Conkers Bad Fur Day
-Mario Tennis

You want to talk about rose colored glasses, then talk about games like Conker, 007, and Perfect Dark? Game ratings are fine, but which series do you think is going to last longer, 007 or Splatoon, Conkers or Xenoblade, Banjo or Bayonetta? Two of these aren't even on the "top 10" list, but does anyone who didn't live through the N64 era even know what a Conker, Banjo, or 007 is? I doubt it.

Your argument is weird. Plenty of kids these days dont know what Bayonneta and Xenoblade are. Every kid in the 90s knew what golden eye 007 was. Depending on whether Nintendo keeps publishing those gsmes, 10 years from those two titles might be even greater unknowns. GE, OoT, SM64 were historic games...what historic game does the Wii U have ? BotW. Heck the Switch has done a pretty good job in making people forget about the Wii U. The fact that people are still talking about the N64 (it is winning the poll big time) 23 years after it launched shows you that it was the greater console. In 2035 no one will talk about the Wii U. People will Still talk about the N64 and yet GE and OOT and SM64.