NES 6 6.74%

Super NES 40 44.94%

Nintendo 64 13 14.61%

Gamecube 15 16.85%

Wii 9 10.11%

Wii U 6 6.74%

Total:89
Mar1217 said:
Objectively, I really like the core library of Nintendo titles during the Wii days so honestly, I'd probably go with the WiiU since I have the add up of being able to play Wii games and WiiU games such as Xenoblade Chronicles X (which is never gonna get ported on Switch at least :P )

Interesting choice. In all honestly that's probably my least favorite Nintendo console (never a fan of that controller or the miiverse stuff you had to wade through just to start a game). I will say though that it was somewhat underrated and certainly deserved more than the 14 million sales it got.

In hindsight it did have some great games - I think it now just gets diminished somewhat as most have been ported to Switch. But Xenoblade X was underrated as it got crushed between the hype of the more well-known 1 and 2. But I liked its open world aspect. NSMB U, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Maker, Mario 3D World, NES Remix, and parts of Nintendoland were fun (Sweet Day mainly). 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

Of course the SNES, which is the embodiment of the Nintendo seal of quality. You have to search with a magnifying glass to find a real bad game on this console. You can almost choose any title you want and it's mediocre in the worst case. All 2D games aged very well. The analog sound chip was very charismatic, imo better than the one on Sega Genesis and N64.

I mean, maybe it's because I love local multiplayer, but I voted GameCube. SNES would be a close second, and Switch has been doing very well so far, too.

The GameCube was a technological marvel who only needed perhaps an extra button or two in the controller and a DVD player.

Most of them were great, really, except for the Wii-U and the N64 (speaking about hardware here).

The lack of a button was a drag for one or two games, yeah (I remember SSX 3 allowed less tricks on GC than PS2). I don't think the lack of a DVD player was a huge deal, though. The games are ultimately the thing consoles are remembered for.

Around the Network

Interesting just how little correlation in general there is between the results this poll gets on forums and the actual real-world popularity of the systems.

I mean I get that we're not exactly a vertical slice of the general population, but still, the differences are intriguing.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 September 2019

I rather look at them in tiers.

Good:
SNES
Wii
NES

Medium:
N64

Bad:
Wii U
Gamecube

While Gamecube is liked on this forum, I sincerely feel it is the worst major home console released since the Atari 5200.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 22 September 2019

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Good:
SNES
Wii
NES

Medium:
N64

Bad:
Wii U
Gamecube

While Gamecube is liked on this forum, I sincerely feel it is the worst major home console released since the Atari 5200.

Ooooo! That's a bold statement. I really liked it, but it definitely had it's flaws. Chief among them, it's ( relative to it's competition ) poor 3rd party support. The HUGE 3rd party games the PS2 and XB had that the GC didn't.....And then there was the port quality issue. Some publishers would slap the most astonishingly lazy ports together on the GC. EA was kinda famous for this. But it was still really good overall IMO. To each their own I suppose.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Jumpin said:

Good:
SNES
Wii
NES

Medium:
N64

Bad:
Wii U
Gamecube

I wouldn't go that far myself, but I do think Gamecube is Nintendo's worst console.

The hardware is great, but the first party lineup is way below their usual standard. Granted it still had some gems like Metroid Prime and Twilight Princess, but there are so few of them compared to Nintendo's other systems. For me anyway.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 September 2019

Probably the SNES, looking at it from a software perspective, I'm still discovering a good number of great titles for it even today.

For my nostalgia bones, the Gamecube, pretty much the most formative system from the home consoles for me as far as what kind of games I resonate the most with goes.

The Pikmin games, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Kirby's Air Ride, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Party, Soul Calibur II, Melee, Double Dash among many more. Also taught me that there isn't a better Paper Mario game than the first one gameplay wise.

Its most important software for me tho, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Tales of Symphonia. Pretty much what shaped me the most out of anything else. PoR and Symphonia still being the most perfect games of their genres for me. Recently I also discovered a game that comes close to Symphonia, Baten Kaitos Origins, another gamecube classic.