SNES
Wii
NES

Medium:
N64

Bad:
Wii U
Gamecube

While Gamecube is liked on this forum, I sincerely feel it is the worst major home console released since the Atari 5200.

Ooooo! That's a bold statement. I really liked it, but it definitely had it's flaws. Chief among them, it's ( relative to it's competition ) poor 3rd party support. The HUGE 3rd party games the PS2 and XB had that the GC didn't.....And then there was the port quality issue. Some publishers would slap the most astonishingly lazy ports together on the GC. EA was kinda famous for this. But it was still really good overall IMO. To each their own I suppose.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

I rather look at them in tiers.

Good:
SNES
Wii
NES

Medium:
N64

Bad:
Wii U
Gamecube

While Gamecube is liked on this forum, I sincerely feel it is the worst major home console released since the Atari 5200.

I wouldn't go that far myself, but I do think Gamecube is Nintendo's worst console.

The hardware is great, but the first party lineup is way below their usual standard. Granted it still had some gems like Metroid Prime and Twilight Princess, but there are so few of them compared to Nintendo's other systems. For me anyway.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 September 2019

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Probably the SNES, looking at it from a software perspective, I'm still discovering a good number of great titles for it even today.

For my nostalgia bones, the Gamecube, pretty much the most formative system from the home consoles for me as far as what kind of games I resonate the most with goes.

The Pikmin games, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Kirby's Air Ride, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Party, Soul Calibur II, Melee, Double Dash among many more. Also taught me that there isn't a better Paper Mario game than the first one gameplay wise.

Its most important software for me tho, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Tales of Symphonia. Pretty much what shaped me the most out of anything else. PoR and Symphonia still being the most perfect games of their genres for me. Recently I also discovered a game that comes close to Symphonia, Baten Kaitos Origins, another gamecube classic.

Jumpin said:

Good:
SNES
Wii
NES

Medium:
N64

Bad:
Wii U
Gamecube

GameCube is an oddball to me. On the one hand, there's some sentimentality as it's the first console I seriously got into growing up, as in - first console to stand in line to nab at launch, largely the first machine I was able to buy my own games for, etc. Partly why it's a portion of my username heh. It also has what I feel is still the superior form of Smash Bros. And as weird as that controller is in some ways, I still feel it's THE way to play Smash.

Most of it's other great games I love on it though are actually from 2nd/3rd parties like Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, RE4, Eternal Darkness, Tales of Symphonia - but these are still some of my all-time favorite games. Funny enough, there wasn't a ton on the Nintendo-made side of things for the Cube that compelled me. Wasn't crazy about either the mainline Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, or Mario Kart games.

"We hold these truths t-be self-ful evident. All men and women created by the.. Go-you know the.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

NES - Mediocre console with mediocre games.
SNES - Decent console with amazing games.
N64 - Terrible console with decent games.
GC - Decent console with good games.
Wii - Bad console with decent games.
Wii U - Mediocre console with good games.

The choice is an easy one, SNES.

Around the Network

Definitely Dolphin.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

GameCube winning against N64 is painful to see. It's, just in no way as good. Also NES is very underrepresented, but I guess that's because a lot here never actually played it.

curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:

Good:
SNES
Wii
NES

Medium:
N64

Bad:
Wii U
Gamecube

I wouldn't go that far myself, but I do think Gamecube is Nintendo's worst console.

The hardware is great, but the first party lineup is way below their usual standard. Granted it still had some gems like Metroid Prime and Twilight Princess, but there are so few of them compared to Nintendo's other systems. For me anyway.

I dont understand why Gamecube is loved so much on this forum either tbh.

Often I hear like SSX, Starwars Rogue Squadron, Smash melee, Tony Hawks, Metal gear solid, Wave Race.. ect.

All I'll think is... non of those mattered to me.

To me the system sellers (why to get a gamecube) would be:

Zelda Wind Walker
Super Mario Sunshine
Metroid Prime series
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

I also considered their first party lineup on the gamecube to be "below" what you normally expect from Nintendo.

vivster said:
Definitely Dolphin.

Galaxy 1+2, and Xenogears, Mad World, DKC-Returns, TLoZ - SS + TP, New SMB,..... up scaled in resolution.. its a valid opinion.

Home console wise:
Switch>SNES>GC>Wii>WiiU>NES>N64

Handhelds:
DS>GBA>3DS>GB>GBC

Overall
DS>Switch>SNES>GBA>3DS>Gamecube>Wii>GB>GBC>Wii U>NES>N64.