By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are Nintendo games held to an unrealistic standard?

BraLoD said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

"pure works of art" FFX and XII also have great art, "industry changing" changing what? "technology marvels" GTAV is more impressive to me tbh, "innovative experiences" so LBP is the first game ever did that in the genre, "new standards to games" what standard?

"fallen behind in technology and investment" high technology and big investment # great quality gameplay, low technology and small investment # bad quality gameplay

Art: While FFXII is also a game I feel is very underrated, SotC and Ueda games as a whole are held in a regard of their own as far as that goes.

Industry Changing: Gran Turismo was what made realistic racing games a thing, at least on consoles. It's also probably the series that weighted the most on making Europe a bigger player in the console market as it is today, changing a lot the two axis based gaming industry we had before.

Technology Marvels: Feel free to read any reviews from Naughty Dog and Santa Monica games. That doesn't mean other companies can't also make those, as Rockstar and CD Project Red, even so, they are very few and Sony is likely the strongest of them all, honestly.

Innovative Experiences: Well, tell me how LBP was not. Or Dreams now. People already made FF7Remake on Dreams, ffs.

New Standards: The Last of Us has raised the bar on story telling/development on games that's not even fun to pretend you didn't know it. Gaming has had a gold standard to meet since it released.

About the investments, I never said it has anything to do with gameplay or being fun, but that all big companies have to keep it in check to deliver what the industry is demanding nowdays. When a heavily marketed game fails to meet it, as Crackdown 3 for example, it already gets a good bunch of criticism and it reflex on its score. Meanwhile if BotW looks like it has zero AA and I can see stuff I couldn't on the best PS3 games, it's fine, nothing happens. Again, doesn't mean anything about being fun or a good game, just that it reflects negatively on anything else considered big, except for Nintendo.

Art: Just your own opinion, to me those two games have better art

Industry Changing: This series existed on consoles before your Gran Turismo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASCAR_Racing_(video_game)

Technology Marvels: A few or too many, doesn't change that GTA series existed way before Uncharted series

Innovative Experiences: And? So LBP3 and Dream are the only place to make FFVIIR and there is none maker game that existed before could do it? Wow, smh

New Standards: "raised the bar on story telling/development on games" you mean it have the best story ever or something? Better than FFVII/Xenogears and The Witcher series, right?

"BotW looks like it has zero AA and I can see stuff I couldn't on the best PS3 games" The amount of world physics in BoTW, i could only see it in a few of ps4 games like RDR2 at best, let alone ps3

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 21 July 2019

Around the Network
gamingsoul said:
Nintendo fans always say it’s about the gameplay, yeah right only Nintendo games have great gameplay, crash team racing has probably the best gameplay of any kart racing game ever, devil may cry is easily one of the best hack and slash games ever, did those games reach 97 at metacritic obviously no, not even a 90.

So CTR should sold amazing to reflect that, right?

Bayonetta is also one of the best hack and slash games, and Bayo 2 didn't get 90 at metacritic so...

Bayonetta 2 was published by Nintendo not developed and it got 92.
I don’t understand what you said about ctr.

So first you establish that Nintendo has created a high standard for their games in terms of sales numbers and then you try to argue that games that don't meet that standard are not to be considered below that standard. So what's a standard then?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Yes as a lot of others are saying in this thread, the opposite is closer to the truth.
Having Nintendo attached to a title is worth 3 to 5 extra points to its rating
Why is this?
I guess its due to reviewers having nostalgia for Nintendo games of their youth

Around the Network
gamingsoul said:
Bayonetta 2 was published by Nintendo not developed and it got 92.
I don’t understand what you said about ctr.

Bayo 2 get 8,9 only by user scores: https://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/bayonetta-2/user-reviews and perhaps the game is too good? A lot of hypes were created for it in 2014.

CTR is the best kart game ever, huh? In your opinion you mean. With MKDS and MK8 exist, i'm not so sure about that.

BraLoD said:

The fact Sony still doesn't have a game with a 97 metascore while Nintendo can get it twice in a year is pretty telling.

The fact that Kemco still doesn't have a game with a metascore >80 while Sony has tons of them (more than 20 anyways) is pretty telling. The reviewers just slamming 10s and 9s left and right for Sony games, just because they are from Sony, while games from Kemco get much more critical reviews, just because they are a smaller company that doesn't buy as much ads as Sony does. Totally unfair!

There are some people who claim some companies just create better games than others, but they must be wrong. After all if reviews are fair, all the games from one company should get to the same average as the games form another company. But look:

Kemco: average career score is 56

Sony: has 73, nearly 20 points more

Nintendo: has 76, so it is treated similarly to Sony

This means reviewers unfairly look down on Kemco-games while praising unnecessarily highly games from Sony or Nintendo.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

The problem with games like Pikmin is that they are high budget titles but don't sell well and don't sell hardware. That's why Nintendo shouldn't focus too much on them. A Pikmin 1-3 collection for Switch, made by a third party developer? Sure, I'll take it. But putting years of effort and millions of dollars into Pikmin 4 just for it to sell 1.5 million units? They could spend their money and time more wisely.

BraLoD said:
Chrkeller said:

I find it funny that people believe Nintendo gets a free pass from criticism on their games. The truth is Nintendo has been in this business a long time and simply makes superb games.  Nintendo is held to the same standard as everybody else.  

Except they do.

That doesn't mean Nintendo games doesn't deserve a lot of praise because they do a lot of time, but that it will take a damn lot to get it actual criticism. It'll get slammed 10s all over the place even if the actual review has some complants, meanwhile if it is a Sony game it'll get 9s even if the reviewers adored the game, because criticism will still take place.

The fact Sony still doesn't have a game with a 97 metascore while Nintendo can get it twice in a year is pretty telling.

I'm not saying Nintendo doesn't deserve it or that Sony games are better (even if they are my prefference, so you know my bias) but that it doesn't matter what Sony do, games regarded as pure works of art (SotC), as industry changing (GT), as technology marvels (Uncharted), as innovative experiences (LBP), as new standards to games (TLoU), and so on, Sony gets more GOTYs than anyone else, even against other companies games with superior scores by those same reviewers (where those other games can reach such high score).

There is no denying Sony games are the ones treated with unrealistic standards that others simply aren't, and Nintendo is actually the one with the least of that in a time where they have fallen behind in technology and investiment and that is held in such high regard to anyone else that is considered big.

Again, that doesn't mean Nintendo games doesn't deserve the praise/sales they get, but they get it without the same trouble anyone else has, because if the game is good that's all that matters, criticism will be basically non existent or irrelevant even if it is there.

Truth of the matter is, you wouldn't dispute those two 97s if they came out on Playstation.

"Nintendo is actually the one with the least of that in a time where they have fallen behind in technology and investiment " 

What do technology and investment have to do with making great games?

Louie said:

The problem with games like Pikmin is that they are high budget titles but don't sell well and don't sell hardware. That's why Nintendo shouldn't focus too much on them. A Pikmin 1-3 collection for Switch, made by a third party developer? Sure, I'll take it. But putting years of effort and millions of dollars into Pikmin 4 just for it to sell 1.5 million units? They could spend their money and time more wisely.

Not every in-house game needs to sell hardware. It just needs to be profitable. Nintendo games, even the highest budget ones, are actually nothing compared to what Western developers spend on their AAA games generally. There's a reason why Nintendo's made 3 in-house entries despite only ever breaking 1m sales. Also Pikmin 4 on Switch would probably do better than the previous 3 due to the Switch's better software sales.