By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are Nintendo games held to an unrealistic standard?

gergroy said:
Huh... I kind of feel like the opposite is true actually, where most Nintendo games are given a pass... because they are Nintendo...

AC fans made sure that Nintendo never got a free pass on Amiibo Festival.

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I already said in a previous post that I am good with Nintendo making Labo, because it is so unique that it can attract new customers to the system.  Labo fits the description of creative and niche.  Arms is really just a fighting game.  I am ok that they made it once, but it shouldn't get a sequel.  Now that they know it won't sell a ton, then it shouldn't get a sequel.

Basically, not every game needs to be a "safebet", but every game needs to attempt to be a system seller.  A niche game that brings in a new type of customer can be a (small) system seller.  Obviously the top selling titles are system sellers.  These are the types of games that Nintendo needs to make.  A game that sells 1-2m and is in the same genre of a bigger game, like ARMS, should not get a sequel.  It is a waste of resources, even if it technically makes a profit.  Too much opportunity cost is lost.

ARMS plays nothing like Smash though. The audience for both games couldn't be any more different. Nintendo's more than likely going to make a sequel to it because it sold well. It actually was more successful than they anticipated, that they added a few more things before wrapping up. Yabuki even said he wanted to make a sequel.

They very well may make a sequel.  I think that would be a bad idea though.  People play ARMS and Smash Bros for the same reason, to fight other people.  Smash Bros is better, so there is no point to Nintendo making ARMS.

HoangNhatAnh said:
BraLoD said:

Well, GTA IV is quite overrated, so no, I would.

I also don't think Tony Hawk should have ever reached such scores.

I still like both, tho.

If you mean Sony own games, it'll very hardly get anything more than it should, because there will always be criticism around them. Always.

About your question, I never disputed that it have anything to do with it, I even said it doesn't make a game bad or not fun. What I said is that if other companies fail to meet such standards they'll get the criticism for it, and Nintendo won't. That's it.

Lol trying to praise Sony while playing down Nintendo is surely very objective. Don't ignore my comment, give a reply 

Says the guy who dismissed every examples given from Sony’s side... 

Here is my biggest issue with the media being biased in favor of Nintendo.... the market is dominated by Sony, not Nintendo. Why would the media bias themselves in favor of a less popular developer? It makes no sense. If most gamers are Sony fans, being biased against Sony would be counter productive. The entire argument literally makes no sense. Nintendo games score well because they are amazing games, same with Naughty Dog.  I can't fathom IGN waking up, calling a conference, and telling all their reviewers "hey, we should be pissing off Sony fans, review Nintendo games easier!!!"  Yeah, that is how dumb the argument sounds.

Also I think people are mistaken about what reviews actually are.  They aren't a technical assessment of a game, but rather indicative of how much fun a game is.  So a game being flawed but still getting a top score is reasonable.  Technical aspects are certainly discussed, but I don't think it impacts the score much.  Ultimately if the reviewer loved the game, despite the flaws, it gets a 10.  Monster Hunter is heavily flawed, but still reviewed very well.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 23 July 2019

thismeintiel said:
Chrkeller said:

Frankly I think that perceived bias is all in your head.  All fan bases have crazy morons who go nuts if a review is less than what they think it should be.  It isn't just a Nintendo thing.  At the end of the day people always view one set of fans as being the "worst" and I think that is folly.  Fanboys are everywhere and they are all annoying as crap.  If the TLoU 2 gets a low review, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind there will be people pitching a fit.  And it isn't limited to videogames either.  Go over to Meta and notice all the 0/10 scores for Last Jedi...  yeah, fair enough people don't like it and are entitled to their opinion, but a 0/10 is just absurd. 

People are morons is the shorter version.  At the end of the day I don't think reviewers go out of their way to rate Nintendo games easier than the competition.  That is just a lame excuse people use because they don't like the fact that Nintendo typically has some of the highest rated exclusive games every generation.  Instead of accepting Nintendo is a great developer, it has to be bias.  It reminds me of sports when team "A" only wins because you know, it is a conspiracy and the NCAA as an organization is purposely making them win via refs.  

Except no "crazies" in a fanbase goes freaking nuts over a 7, and a 0.1 drop on Metacritic, like the Nintendo ones do.  Nor do they have the fanbase as a whole making excuse for them if they do.  Sure, I could see people getting pissed at a clickbait 4 for a big title, but at a 7 is just moronic.  There is no doubt that stops certain reviewers from giving them lower scores.  They don't want the headache of dealing with that.

People went nuts when Ratchet and Clank Tools of destruction only had 89 on Metacritic tho =p

Around the Network
MasonADC said:
Anyone who claims arms is a failure really shouldn’t be taken seriously

To me, Arms seems like it could borderline be considered a "failure" in the eyes of Nintendo. And by failure, I mean that it may not have lived up to the expectations of Nintendo. It wasn't a flop, that's for sure, as it sold itself to a million people. But game sales also correlate with console sales, and Arms would not have been a million-seller if it had released on the Wii U (ignoring the fact that the tech makes it not possible on Wii U).

Personally, I wouldn't say that it was a failure, but I do recognize that it could be a debatable topic, and that people who might think of it as such could still be taken seriously.

Oh, and I rented the game shortly after release and it wasn't for me.

BraLoD said:
adslife said:

The thing is, it's clear where your bias lands. But your argument falls flat.

You have been shown that Nintendo do in fact create and adapt new technology right up to the Switch and you seem to ignore this.

You seem very attached to a meta score of 97. When in reality it is only a score and not the be all and end all and most people couldn't care less about meta scores. I love videogames and own a ps4, a gaming pc and a Switch so I can objectively say that Nintendo is not given free passes just because its Nintendo. Their games score highly because they are justified at the time.

Naughty Dog games score very highly too, so does that really mean that they are also given free passes like Nintendo? Think about it for a moment. Its clear and obvious that no Naughty Dogs games score highly because they were deemed worthy of it. The same for those nintendo games like BoTW and Mario Odyssey.

Also you say about the Last of us set new gold standards in gaming. I love Uncharted and Naughty Dog but TLoU was actually one game of theirs I didn't enjoy. But I appreciate many people do and do not argue it doesn't deserve its praise and review scores. I personally can think of many games that told great stories, both on PlayStation and Nintendo throughout the years.

You mention dreams and LBP as new innovations. Nintendo so this too, whether you or I like them or not, Nintendo brought us Labo last year with new ways to play, Mario Maker to create 2d  Mario platform game much easier than other game makers I've tried before including LBP. There are innovative games all around on all game platforms.

I'm sorry but your argument just does not hold up.

I suppose you are talking to me?

You don't need to figure where my bias land, I never tried pretending I don't have one or to hide it.

I'm primarly a PlayStation fan, so you know.

Which doesn't mean I don't like a lot of other stuff or anything that comes from Sony. I have a clear prefference, but that's it. I'll not refrain from having my opinions on anything else because of it.

About you ND points, I already answered that, ND will get under 90+ if they do a good but not amazing game that have flaws pointed out, but since Uncharted 2 from their 4 mainline games released 3 won the GOTY, and they won against games that could hit such scores.

I've never said ND games score poorly or should score higher here, but that no matter how great they are they'll get criticism coming to them.

97 is quite a symbolic score for Sony, even if not much different from 96 or 50, they are all scores, but 97 is a score Sony simply can't seem to reach for some reason, while like Nintendo they produce a lot of the most important, well know, and well produced games in the last 25 years.

Also it's fine if you didn't like TLoU, as it's fine if someone didn't like BotW, nothing can be said about those games not being very important tho, they are. I can probably give a 10 to BotW as I did for TLoU once I properly play it, it seems great.

The thing is, BotW could be a lot more polished, and if it was not a Nintendo game a lot of those 10 would turn into 9.5 or 9 because of that.

Does that make it any less good or deserving or a very high score? Absolutely not. That's not what I'm talking about.

Yeah, TLoU could be an open world like GTA but nope, if it wasn't Sony game then a lot of those perfect scores would be lowered

Hynad said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Lol trying to praise Sony while playing down Nintendo is surely very objective. Don't ignore my comment, give a reply 

Just trying to repeat what he did to Nintendo and it isn't like any point i said was wrong either

The_Liquid_Laser said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

ARMS plays nothing like Smash though. The audience for both games couldn't be any more different. Nintendo's more than likely going to make a sequel to it because it sold well. It actually was more successful than they anticipated, that they added a few more things before wrapping up. Yabuki even said he wanted to make a sequel.

They very well may make a sequel.  I think that would be a bad idea though.  People play ARMS and Smash Bros for the same reason, to fight other people.  Smash Bros is better, so there is no point to Nintendo making ARMS.

So there's no need for variety?

People seriously believe reviewers go easier on Nintendo, that is hilarious. Come on guys take the tin foil hats off and rejoin reality. Most Nintendo games don't even score extremely highly aside from 3d Mario and the odd Zelda game.

HoangNhatAnh said: 
Hynad said:

Just trying to repeat what he did to Nintendo and it isn't like any point i said was wrong either

Well, yes. A lot of the stuff you mention about Sony’s games, dismissing them or refusing to give credit where credit is due is indeed wrong. 

And it seems like you aren’t willing to be objective at all. 

BraLoD, while still coming off as biased (he admits to be so, no less), still gave Nintendo games due credit on many occasions.

I personally think it is futile to argue over this topic, since reviewers all approach the games they review with their individual set of biases, be it for the game genre, developer, console the game is made for, etc. So trying to say the reason a game got a high meta is because it’s unilaterally agreed upon among all reviewers that said developer or franchise deserves a special treatment is simply irrational.

Last edited by Hynad - on 23 July 2019