By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (UPDATE): AMD Unveil RX 5000 (Navi) with their new architecture design, Interview with Lisa SU, Ray Tracing detail on another SKU's variant, PCIe 4.0 help fast loading on PS5

Console gamer (Playstation fans especially ) how will you response

Yes 3 14.29%

No 4 19.05%

It's happening 3 14.29%

i dont know how to response 1 4.76%

i am not interested in powah 0 0%

Yes bring it on 3 14.29%

Playstation 5 will be a Super Beast 7 33.33%

Total:21

So just out of curiosity will Anaconda and Ps5 have more powerful cards than GTX 980 ti?

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

Finally, someone speaking English!

Navi is certainly a re-balanced uArch, the doubling of SE's over Vega is a very strong hint towards that... GCN was always very compute heavy.
It's similar to what AMD did when they took VLIW5 and made VLIW4, re-balanced the functional units for better overall utilization in games.

I think Variable Rate Shaders will be in, Microsoft is baking it into Direct X, so should be a uniform standard going forward with some luck.

Yeah, I attended a GDC lecture where nVidia showed it off for Wolfenstein 2. They were able to half the shading rate by using VRS when rendering in 4K and I couldn't see any noticeable artifacts. It was shown on a big projector and I sat 7-8 meters away, so there might have been artifacts that I missed. I don't know how well it scales to other types of games, but I couldn't think of anything special that would make it more suitable for just Wolfenstein. Looks like a very promising technique.

Last edited by Straffaren666 - on 28 May 2019

So much negativity and we dont even know the prices yet. AMD just trounced intel, cant we have a little more faith. just 3 more weeks till E3 and get the final details.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

CGI-Quality said:
OdinHades said:

Got myself an i7-9900K with an RTX 2070 and 32 Gigs of Ram. So nothing too crazy, but it should be in the ballpark of the new consoles.

That's a decent setup, to be sure. Your CPU and RAM should be be a good step ahead of the console offerings.

Dulfite said:
So just out of curiosity will Anaconda and Ps5 have more powerful cards than GTX 980 ti?

Should be, yes.

I'd ask for more specifics, but I suspect we can't really do benchmark comparison tests yet?

In general, I'd like to know how much better. My PC is about 4 years old now, though I've upgraded it a decent amount over the years (including the 980 ti). Trying to juggle if I can continue to upgrade it or if it would be better to just build a newer pc in the nearish future (a few years from now), or just let it be what it is and simply get an xbox for 3rd party games and some of their 1st party ones.

Dulfite said:
CGI-Quality said:

That's a decent setup, to be sure. Your CPU and RAM should be be a good step ahead of the console offerings.

Should be, yes.

I'd ask for more specifics, but I suspect we can't really do benchmark comparison tests yet?

In general, I'd like to know how much better. My PC is about 4 years old now, though I've upgraded it a decent amount over the years (including the 980 ti). Trying to juggle if I can continue to upgrade it or if it would be better to just build a newer pc in the nearish future (a few years from now), or just let it be what it is and simply get an xbox for 3rd party games and some of their 1st party ones.

You are fine until 2020. No idea what your expectations are, certainly not suffcient for 1440p @144Hz.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
Dulfite said:

You are fine until 2020. No idea what your expectations are, certainly not suffcient for 1440p @144Hz.

I mean, everything I touch that is brand new looks fantastic on my computer right now. And my tolerance for games not looking amazing is pretty high, as a Nintendo guy. Prior to oh about 2 years ago I was running a GTX 470 on newer games back then and was fine with the way they looked, though I wasn't particularly happy with the framerate lol. I think the Arkham games were the thing that finally pushed me over the edge of "yeah I need to upgrade." Remembering what Arkham Knight was like on PC before they patched it still amazes me. What a hot mess that was lol.

drkohler said:
Trumpstyle said:

Both console will almost certainly be below 10 Teraflops, based on the gonzalo codenamn showing PS5 having a 1,8ghz navi gpu it will likely just have 32CU's with 2-4 disabled CU's giving 6,4-6,9TF. Xbox anaconda will probably have 40CU's but 4 disable for yield improvements so 36CU's clocked at 1,9ghz is my guess and will result in a 8,7TF gpu.

Please stop posting more nonsense every 10 minutes.

The PS4Pro already has 36CUs. There is no way a next gen chip has fewer CUs.

Also your 1.8Ghz clock is way too high for consoles, unless we get monster cooling solutions. There has been an image of a navi board floating around for a few weeks now, it has two 8-pin connectors. That alone tells you all about the problems AMD STILL has with power consumption, even at 7nm.

Navi draws a lot of power that we can agree on, there was several rumors about the navi card having 40CU's with geforce 2070 performance and those looks spot on so I'm not posting nonsense.

On the PS5 you're correct, I made the mistake assuming the PS5 would launch at $400, it will likely launch at $500 with this gpu amd demonstrated. Even with the bad news Navi pulling more power than I expected my PS5 prediction remains the same except for the higher price point and it will have 16GB of Vram instead of 12GB, we simply don't agree on clock speed. Ofc Xbox anaconda will receive a downgrade, the spec and price should be very similiar to PS5.

shikamaru317 said:
Trumpstyle said:

Sony doesn't pay retail prices, they pay wafer costs + margins to AMD, now we know why the gonzalo codename said it was a navi 10 lite. Amd and Sony has probably done some customizations to Navi 10 to reduce the die size, they need to get it down to about 200-210mm2 to fit 8core zen2 cpu in a 350mm2 apu/soc.

Not sure what rumors you talking about, I'm assuming adoredtv, they were fake dude. He got tricked, stuff like that can happen.

About gpu prices for PC, I expect them to come down big when Nvidia launches their 7nm gpu lineup.

I know they don't pay retail, but a $400 at retail GPU in PS5 still seems highly unlikely to me when PS4's GPU was much cheaper than that.

I think I saw that $280-320 pricing rumor for the highest end Navi chipset on Anandtech or another big site, but I could be wrong. 

The gpu in PS4 was a cut-down radeon 7870 card, that card launched at $350 in march 2012. I think the PS5 price will be $500 with this gpu amd showed at computex. We not sure what the gpu will cost, but probably between $400-$500.

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 28 May 2019

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Dulfite said:
Random_Matt said:

I mean, everything I touch that is brand new looks fantastic on my computer right now. And my tolerance for games not looking amazing is pretty high, as a Nintendo guy. Prior to oh about 2 years ago I was running a GTX 470 on newer games back then and was fine with the way they looked, though I wasn't particularly happy with the framerate lol. I think the Arkham games were the thing that finally pushed me over the edge of "yeah I need to upgrade." Remembering what Arkham Knight was like on PC before they patched it still amazes me. What a hot mess that was lol.

As I said, depends what your needs are, most people still use 1080p/60fps. I'm waiting for a 2070 TI, may come out. If not, I'll wait till next summer for the 30** cards.

Pemalite said:

Indeed they do have allot of options, plus they have more experience with 7nm at TSMC than nVidia, so that advantage can't exactly be understated.

In saying that, Navi is still going to be a pretty average GPU all things considered... And won't be besting nVidia at 12nm (Aka 16nm Enhanced.)

8 SE's even with 64 CU's and a beefy clockrate should result in a chunky uplift though, especially backed by GDDR6 on a 256bit bus.

Navi wouldn't be besting Nvidia anyway with a small die but at least both both of their latest and greatest are similar from a power efficiency standpoint and depending on the exact measurements of the die size, AMD could potentially have a more die area efficient design ... 

AMD has many opportunities they could take. If they decide to launch next year, they'll have another year to improve the architecture and can transition to EUV ... 

shikamaru317 said:
Trumpstyle said:

The gpu in PS4 was a cut-down radeon 7870 card, that card launched at $350 in march 2012. I think the PS5 price will be $500 with this gpu amd showed at computex. We not sure what the gpu will cost, but probably between $400-$500.

I still have very severe doubts about the 5700 costing that much. The whole point of Navi's highest and 2nd highest tier GPU's was to bring Vega 64 and Vega 56 tier performance to the mid-range consumer with greater power efficiency. You can already buy a Vega 64 for $400 now if you bargain hunt. Navi is the successor to Polaris, AMD's last mid-range GPU line, and the most expensive Polaris GPU on release, the RX 480, was $250. I don't know if they will be able to hit $250 with this 5700, but I will be surprised if it costs more than $300, prices over about $300 just aren't appealing to the mid-range consumers that Navi is targeted at. 

Thank you. People keep forgetting that navi 10 is a replacement for polaris and it will be priced according. That its performance is on par with a mid high end card from last year is to be expected, but its still a mid range card with hopefully a mid range price. Next year navi 20 will replace vega on the high end. Cards of $500+.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.