Forums - Gaming Discussion - (UPDATE): AMD Unveil RX 5000 (Navi) with their new architecture design, Interview with Lisa SU, Ray Tracing detail on another SKU's variant, PCIe 4.0 help fast loading on PS5

Console gamer (Playstation fans especially ) how will you response

Yes 3 14.29%
 
No 4 19.05%
 
It's happening 3 14.29%
 
i dont know how to response 1 4.76%
 
i am not interested in powah 0 0.00%
 
Yes bring it on 3 14.29%
 
Playstation 5 will be a Super Beast 7 33.33%
 
Total:21
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Well Lisa Su referred to next playstation. Not XBOX.

Rumor is Anaconda will use the next AMD GPU generation after 5000 series, the generation that will release in 2020.

Not sure what Lockhart will use though, probably Navi/5000 series, but much further down the scale than 5700, maybe 5500.



Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Well Lisa Su referred to next playstation. Not XBOX.

Rumor is Anaconda will use the next AMD GPU generation after 5000 series, the generation that will release in 2020.

Not sure what Lockhart will use though, probably Navi/5000 series, but much further down the scale than 5700, maybe 5500.

Don't worry. I know You are a XboX lover.

I don't care the rumour lol.

Just said the facts.



Random_Matt said:
A load of rubbish then?

Pretty much. Just like Polaris.
I will likely still pick up one though.

25% IPC improvement is pretty inconsequential considering they are moving to a new process.
The jump between Fiji and Vega was anywhere from 5-30% as well.

Plus we need to keep in mind that a 25% IPC improvement is not a 25% improvement in gaming performance.

Trumpstyle said:

How you come to that conclusion?? Navi is super-good, its midrange 200mm2 gpu will beat geforce 2070 a 445mm2 gpu. But Navi is on 7nm while geforce is on 12nm. When Nvidia launches their gpus on 7nm I expect navi to still be superior on mm2/performance but a bit lower on effiency/performance. We shall see

How do you know Navi's size? Anandtech pegs the GPU as a monolithic part.

As for pitting it up against nVidia... Navi only bested the Geforce 2070 by 10% in a title that favors Graphics Core Next.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14412/amd-teases-first-navi-gpu-products-rx-5700-series-in-july-25-improved-perf

Random_Matt said:
Trumpstyle said:

How you come to that conclusion?? Navi is super-good, its midrange 200mm2 gpu will beat geforce 2070 a 445mm2 gpu. But Navi is on 7nm while geforce is on 12nm. When Nvidia launches their gpus on 7nm I expect navi to still be superior on mm2/performance but a bit lower on effiency/performance. We shall see

It's AMD, sucked for a long time and would not recommend anyone to buy them. Only in consoles because they are cheap, at the end of the day they need to spend money to develop something new. 

Beating 2070, nope.

The name is also silly. We have already had a Radeon 5000 series... Plus I don't think it's 10x better than a Radeon RX 500 series part either.

Either way, it improves upon the prior parts, but not massively so. - It's still a win for the consumer though if AMD can assist in bringing nVidia's prices down.



--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Finally some next generation midrange GPUs people can put in their consoles.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Finally some next generation midrange GPUs people can put in their consoles.

Well they already did since Atari came in 70 until now and until foreseeable future . Console is just mid range GPU. 



Around the Network
Pemalite said:



Trumpstyle said:

How you come to that conclusion?? Navi is super-good, its midrange 200mm2 gpu will beat geforce 2070 a 445mm2 gpu. But Navi is on 7nm while geforce is on 12nm. When Nvidia launches their gpus on 7nm I expect navi to still be superior on mm2/performance but a bit lower on effiency/performance. We shall see

How do you know Navi's size? Anandtech pegs the GPU as a monolithic part.

As for pitting it up against nVidia... Navi only bested the Geforce 2070 by 10% in a title that favors Graphics Core Next.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14412/amd-teases-first-navi-gpu-products-rx-5700-series-in-july-25-improved-perf

I don't know the die size, Lisa Su said it was small on stage and I assume it's a midrange card putting it about 200mm2.

Yep amd has about 18% advantage in Strange bigarde so its average performance should land a bit below geforce 2070 but I think this is a cut-down card. A sapphire PR spokeperson said amd will be launching 2 cards in july, a $400 card and a $500 card, so this fit perfectly with the $400 card. It wouldn't make much sense for amd to launch this for $500 if it has less performance than geforce 2070 but the same price.

Edit: It looks like Nvidia released a new driver in April that improved performance in strange bigarde by 15% in 1440p and 25% in 4k so we're not sure what we looking at.

Looking at game benchmarks again, this card should land slightly below geforce 2070 in average benchmarks if amd was using nvidias latest drivers, Amd just had a much bigger advantage in strange bigard than I thought. This is average benchmarks on the site techpowerup. I hope they are not planning to sell this card for $500.

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 27 May 2019

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

I was an Nvidia user, but my old GTX 670 needed updating. Managed to get an incredible deal and snag an RX470 for £70. Really happy with it, so I'll probably upgrade to one of these in a year or so.



LTD: PS4 - 125m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 51m

2020: PS4 - 9m, Switch - 22.5m, XBO - 2.5m, PS5 - 4.5m, XBX - 2.8m

Pemalite said:
Random_Matt said:
A load of rubbish then?

Pretty much. Just like Polaris.
I will likely still pick up one though.

25% IPC improvement is pretty inconsequential considering they are moving to a new process.
The jump between Fiji and Vega was anywhere from 5-30% as well.

Plus we need to keep in mind that a 25% IPC improvement is not a 25% improvement in gaming performance.

Polaris, when it came out as the RX 480, was pretty good - just not the high-end chip everybody was hoping for, but a mid-range chip. It did keep up with Geforce 970 in performance/watt and performance in games. It just couldn't keep up with the 980/980Ti/Titan, and Pascal destroyed it in terms of performance per watt one year later.

I think your vision of Polaris got skewed by Maxwell and Pascal, where NVidia leaped so far forward that AMD couldn't nearly keep up anymore, but kept rehashing the chip as they had nothing else apart from Vega to show off.

And while 25% IPC increase is not 25% increase in performance, it should come pretty close at the same clock speed and CU amount. Also, don't forget the 50% reduction in power draw at the same time.

So yeah, it will be like Polaris, a good mid-range card that can keep up with it's peers from NVidia at it's release - it's just not the high-end card to compete with them at the top.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 27 May 2019

AMD cards seem to age very well (better than nvidia counterparts), which I suspect also partly comes down to their drivers not being at as good a state, early in the life cycle as nvidia cards (when launched).

As long as its for a decent price... being ~10% ahead of a 2070 isnt to bad.



JRPGfan said:
AMD cards seem to age very well (better than nvidia counterparts), which I suspect also partly comes down to their drivers not being at as good a state, early in the life cycle as nvidia cards (when launched).

As long as its for a decent price... being ~10% ahead of a 2070 isnt to bad.

From what I read they're not 10% ahead of the 2070. That was a benchmark that favors their architecture. Estimates seem to be slightly below the 2070 on average. Which is ok I guess. It's not like they were striving for high end.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.