By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (UPDATE): AMD Unveil RX 5000 (Navi) with their new architecture design, Interview with Lisa SU, Ray Tracing detail on another SKU's variant, PCIe 4.0 help fast loading on PS5

Console gamer (Playstation fans especially ) how will you response

Yes 3 14.29%

No 4 19.05%

It's happening 3 14.29%

i dont know how to response 1 4.76%

i am not interested in powah 0 0%

Yes bring it on 3 14.29%

Playstation 5 will be a Super Beast 7 33.33%

Total:21

AMD just announce officially a new GPU lineup  RX 5000,  which is we already know under the code name NAVI.  Navi will powering their future gaming GPU for consoles , PC and Server PC cloud gaming and probably a handled.

What make this news interesting is how AMD announce new architecture completely different from their previous GPU line up since 2012 until 2017 GPU. Navi will be powered by new arch , "RNDA " which will replace GCN.

It will have 25 % more performance per clock per core over last  " Vega " GCN , and at the same time 50% more power efficient as well. Navi also will support PCIe 4 for PC , multilevel cache hierarchy for better bandwidth.

But it still unclear how much a different compared to GCN, will still a big overhaul change or will still have a little bit similarities? What we got so far is , one CU of RNDA will still have 64 stream processor. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14412/amd-teases-first-navi-gpu-products-rx-5700-series-in-july-25-improved-perf

Why i am bringing this , because we know Sony next gen consoles (presumably it will be called PS5) will be using Navi. This at least will give a slight clue on how  powerful PS5 is or how accurate the previous PS5 spec leak is. How this will impact on generation gap, how it will define generation on graphical level. Of course we still don't know which Navi series that will go inside PS5 or how much clock speed Sony are using it and what is the costume design (secret sauce)  they are preparing  for Playstation fan. But for sure Navi will be different from Vega and polaris and will be powerful beast. For Xbox Anaconda or Lockheart i don't have any official news that mention  Microsoft  using navi. 

So let the discussion, hype and imagination run wild. 

EDIT: New Update and detail from https://www.pcworld.com/article/3397797/amds-lisa-su-at-computex-on-the-record-threadripper-huawei-ray-tracing-and-more.html  Interview with Lisa Su about RX 5000 (Navi) with PC gamers.

" Reporter: With ray tracing apparently being a big part of future consoles, is it going to be part of [the new graphic architecture], RDNA?

Su: So we have a lot more RDNA content that David and Scott will be presenting. I think some of you may be coming to our tech day, in a few weeks at E3. We’re going to talk about all of that. 

Scott  Herkelman, AMD Radeon general manager: We’ll give out a lot more detail on that, all the new features and technologies. 

Su: We only had an hour today.

Reporter: It seems like if ray tracing was a thing you were definitely working on, we’d have heard it on stage today?

Su: We’re definitely working on ray tracing. That’s true. But like I said, we’ll give you more of the roadmap at E3.

Reporter:  Given that Sony has already announced ray tracing as part of the PlayStation 5, can you tell us if that’s a Sony optimization, or part of RDNA?

Su: So we certainly have done very specific optimizations for Sony. They are a deep customer for us on semi-custom products. There are optimizations there. However, we view ray tracing as a very important element across the portfolio. So we’ll have ray tracing a number of other places... Look at that, you got me to say more about ray tracing! 

David Wang, senior vice president of engineering at AMD: We started our RDNA development before the Sony engagement. RDNA is a revolutionary architecture; it’s also very flexible. So it can be optimized [inaudible].

Reporter: So it’s like an FPGA.

Su: I wouldn’t exactly say that.

Reporter: Followup question: Sony, Microsoft, and Google’s Stadia have announced cloud gaming initiatives. Since AMD powers all the “on-premise” game consoles, how do you see cloud gaming stacking up against local consoles?

Su: Well, look, I think we believe gaming will be all form factors. So whether it’s PCs, or consoles, or cloud, all of them require great graphics capability. As well as a number of other things. We’re very proud to be partnering with Google on their Stadia cloud streaming platform; there are a number of other cloud efforts that we are very involved in. And, you know, from my standpoint, I think they’re all going to coexist. So it’s not like one is going to take over. Their business models, all that stuff. But I think cloud gaming is going to be important. And you know, we’re going to continue to invest in that from a technology standpoint.

Reporter: Is that an Epyc play?

Su: It’s Epyc and Radeon. 

Reporter: I do feel like a lot of what we saw in the PlayStation 5 hinted at a lot of things you guys were working on. A big thing for them was no loading of levels. Was there anything in particular that could allow you to bring that to the PC market? PCI Express 4?

Su: PCIe 4 definitely helps. Things that Sony are doing, they’ve been very specific on their proprietary technologies."

Conclusion:

1.RDNA is a revolutionary architecture (implying it's a new and very different design from GCN) 

2.They have two different type SKU's for RX 5000 line up. 

3.Ray Tracing will be supported on different type SKU's. 

4.Sony probably going to use RX 5000 with Ray tracing capability build in.

5.More detail about Ray Tracing on RX 5000 and their variant and future road map also RDNA detail will be explained on E3 2019.

6.Sony is their big costumer and a deep costumer (very close in involving and developing technology) on semi custom chip.

7.This add another confirmation that RX500 that go inside PS5, will have a semi costume design build and optimize for  PS5 design principality , and will be have slightly different design by adding more feature and loose some unnecessary feature inside the chip. 

8.RDNA  design started before SONY join the project and before SONY decide to use RX 5000 (this clear the false statement that Navi was build purposely for  SONY).

9.PCIe 4.0 is one of the factor that help the design of PS5 fast loading/no loading game data capability.

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 28 May 2019

Around the Network

It's pretty much just GCN2 revisited and designed for gaming ...

Yeah. Graphics Core Next.
Just an updated revision.

I mean AMD's VLIW4 was fundamentally different from VLIW5 in many aspects, but they were all still Terascale.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Okey guys I have gone quickly over the numbers to figure out the next-gen gpu performance, it landed precisely what I wrote few days ago. AMD demonstrated a 5700 gpu a cut-down navi 10 gpu, it's performance was 10% faster than geforce 2070 in strange bigarde. This is a amd favor title, favors AMD by 18% in 1440p. So on average the radeon 5700 will be about 8% slower than geforce 2070. We know almost for certain SONY will be using a Navi 10 cut-down version but probably slightly below the radeon 5700 gpu in performance.

So as we all expected, PS5 will be 40CU's but 4CU's disable for yield improvement clocked at 1,8ghz giving 8,3 Teraflops, we can now figure out though that the performance for PS5 should similiar to vega 56.

The xbox anaconda (premium xbox console), it will have 44CU's but 4 disable for yield improvement clocked at 1,75ghz giving 8,9TF same performance as vega 56.

It's looking like the next-gen consoles will be complete monsters. Very high gpu performance, each will have 1TB ultra-fast SSD storage, 8-core zen2 cpu clocked 3,2ghz. Memory will be 16GB Vram with 448 GB/s memory bandwidth for both consoles.

Xbox lockhart the cheap xbox will be 4TF gpu with 12GB Vram with no Disc, will also have 8core zen2 cpu and 1TB ultra fast SSD storage.

Edit: Based on new information I think the PS5 will be at vega 56 performance, the premium xbox slightly below geforce 2070 and I believe amd showcased the full navi card (not cut-down) and it will be priced at $400.

Edit2: Changed the spec based on Navi pulling more power than expected.

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 11 June 2019

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

A load of rubbish then?

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
A load of rubbish then?

How you come to that conclusion?? Navi is super-good, its midrange 200mm2 gpu will beat geforce 2070 a 445mm2 gpu. But Navi is on 7nm while geforce is on 12nm. When Nvidia launches their gpus on 7nm I expect navi to still be superior on mm2/performance but a bit lower on effiency/performance. We shall see

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

PS5 looking very cute, might buy later idk

Trumpstyle said:
Random_Matt said:
A load of rubbish then?

How you come to that conclusion?? Navi is super-good, its midrange 200mm2 gpu will beat geforce 2070 a 445mm2 gpu. But Navi is on 7nm while geforce is on 12nm. When Nvidia launches their gpus on 7nm I expect navi to still be superior on mm2/performance but a bit lower on effiency/performance. We shall see

It's AMD, sucked for a long time and would not recommend anyone to buy them. Only in consoles because they are cheap, at the end of the day they need to spend money to develop something new. 

Beating 2070, nope.

Random_Matt said:
Trumpstyle said:

It's AMD, sucked for a long time and would not recommend anyone to buy them. Only in consoles because they are cheap, at the end of the day they need to spend money to develop something new. 

Beating 2070, nope.

Dude they demonstrated a gpu beating the 2070 by 10% in strange brigarde, which I assume is the cut-down navi10. I might be wrong on that, but I don't think so :)

Well Lisa Su referred to next playstation. Not XBOX.