By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3D games of the 90s that have aged the best

potato_hamster said:

Let's take a gander. Okay..

Simple but effective.

Looks great in all but a few areas.

Looks decent if not for the weird character models.

Looks great.

The woman’s a bit boxy but otherwise it looks fine.

Looks early 6th gen.

Same as FFVII, but with better character models.

Absolutely awful. Some of these games are damn near unplayable today it's so difficult to look at tehm. It was the best we had for the mid 90's, but I'll take many SNES or genesis games over these any day.

I’ll assume that the word “unplayable” is added for dramatic effect.

Around the Network

In general I personally don't think any console 3D games from the 90ies have aged perticularly well.

There still is a bunch of PC games that did OK.

In general for me it's not until first decade of 2000 that still look good. Specially games with stylized graphics. On console this means games like Wind Waker and Okami to name a few.

On PC I still think Unreal 2 (even if the game it self is crap) and Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 still look good to name one example.

Wolfenstein 3D, UT, Descent, GTA2, The Sims

Also love Theme Park World, it let me ride the attractions in first person view,
something I thought the original Theme Park did when I first bought it.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 23 May 2019

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Though there were some great games released at that period of time. Just amazing for its time and hours just soaking in the environments. With that WOW factor not there anymore and more a nostalgia thirst quenching, it just doesnt hit me the same way as it did. I still hold high regard for those games especially Zelda OoT for n64, I bought my copy from a nintendo power ad to get the gold cartridge and nintendo power guide for it, still have it today and when I got it in the mail, friends came over and we were watching a moving art masterpiece.

Half-Life, DN3D and MDK thanks also to their styles, Ultima Underworld thanks to its crude graphics serving well a game engine that gave a lot of freedom for its times and allowed a deep, varied and immersive gameplay.

Last edited by Alby_da_Wolf - on 23 May 2019

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
1. Ocarina of Time
Still the biggest pre-BotW Zelda ever made. It had something like 8 dungeons, and way more secrets than it's sequels.

2. Majora's Mask.
What can I say? Zelda has just aged well.

4. Starfox 64
It's basically the last great Shmup IMO.

1. Yeah yeah, but no. Ocarina of Time had 9 dungeons, the same amount as two other Zelda games, and there are another two that feature 12 dungeons. It was also obviously not larger than most of its sequels, but well, of course you mean for the time/hardware it was on or whatever. This is just the kind of Ocarina of Time talk that triggers me.

2. That came out in 2000. Sure is a funny 90's you got there.

4. Agreed on this one. Star Fox 64 still looks pretty alright for a 1997 game. It being on-rails and constantly on the move made it easier for it to look nice, as well as not having to deal with character models too much.

Other than that, I don't know, I guess Tekken 3. Tekken games always look amazing.

Well it really depends on what we want to call a dungeon. Does it have a boss, and a unique item? Is it not just a recycled area from before? What were the other two that have 12 dungeons? I know ALttP and Twilight Princess both had about 8 dungeons, but ALttP was 2D, and Twilight Princess wasn't as open. That's on me though. I should have said 3D Zelda. Or more specifically 3D-non-top-down Zelda. That's what I get for posting in a hurry on six hours of sleep. :/

S.Peelman said:

I can't help that your 1990's standards for graphics haven't improved at all in the decades that follow. If any game today released with similar graphics they would be ripped to shreds by media and fans alike, so I don't possibly see how any of those screenshots "look great". It wasn't even great back then, it was just the best we could do with the technology we had, so we tolerated it.,

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 23 May 2019

Summerset said:

Relevant:

Man, just looking at these screens takes me back. I remember after playing FFVII immediately wondering what the next instalment would look like. I was a subscriber to EGM back in the 90's and woahhh, when the first glimpse of FFVIII trickled in with the ballroom dance scenes and them even describing it to be like "the TITANIC of video games" due to the love themes and all, I was hyped more than anyone can possibly imagine. Even to this day, I think there is no game that will ever exceed that amount of hype for me. FFVIII just blew me away like no other game will ever do. FFVII is to blame for that because it was the greatest thing I have ever experienced in my life at that time - and no hype required because it was already out when I found out about it. LOL.

StreaK said:

Man, just looking at these screens takes me back. I remember after playing FFVII immediately wondering what the next instalment would look like. I was a subscriber to EGM back in the 90's and woahhh, when the first glimpse of FFVIII trickled in with the ballroom dance scenes and them even describing it to be like "the TITANIC of video games" due to the love themes and all, I was hyped more than anyone can possibly imagine. Even to this day, I think there is no game that will ever exceed that amount of hype for me. FFVIII just blew me away like no other game will ever do. FFVII is to blame for that because it was the greatest thing I have ever experienced in my life at that time - and no hype required because it was already out when I found out about it. LOL.

I remember beeing quite dissapointed back then. FFVII was my frist proper RPG and the setting of FFVIII was putting me kinda off and i didn't like the Junction System at all(maybe i was just to stupid).

The game really grew on me since then, but i never finished it. Dunno why.

DonFerrari said:
Final Fantasy IX is still gorgeous.

Soul Reaver is competent enough.

Eh.  It looks rough in a lot of places.

Despite it being my favorite 5th generation game it hasn't held up graphically or gameplay wise.  

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"