By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3D games of the 90s that have aged the best

PC games don't get enough love here. 90s and early 00s had some of the best.

Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 Arena for FPS fans. Kids playing fortnight be crying to their parents if they entered an unreal tournament session on dialup lol. Be so destroyed. Even the level design compared to COD for example was so much ore unique, Each level had different elements that made it stand out, vs different buildings and cars and boxes on the road in the way lol.

Around the Network

Ferrari F355 Challenge.

Some racing games like Wip3out, I guess. Front Mission 3.

Final Fantasy Tactics and Breath of fire 4 look really good even in this age.
Dino Crisis and Front Mission games look decent too.

I dont know how to put images.

Sorry for my bad english.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I honestly can't think of any 90's fully 3D games that have aged well, in fact I thought most of them were ugly even when they were brand new, it's one reason why I mostly skipped gen 5 as a gamer, and spent most of that gen playing gen 4 2D games like Sonic 3 and Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow and some PC 3D stuff that looked better than what the consoles were getting. Some 2.5D games like Age of Empires 2 still look good, but all of the early 3D games just look bad to me now. 6th gen is where 3D crossed the threshold of aging well, stuff like Halo 2, KOTOR 2.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel.   

I remember thinking often back then that it seemed like we were moving backwards, in terms of the overall visual appeal of games.  Early 3D games just weren't good, IMO.  They still aren't 

Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 and Majora's Mask still look decent enough in a CRT, though their frame rate is not exactly the best...
Final Fantasy IX still looks good I'd say (though the game is from 2000).
There's probably many 3D PC games from those years that look better than what I mentioned but I haven't played them.

I have found that a lot of PS1/N64 games really just need to be rendered at at least 2x native resolution and have AA applied to them and they still look pretty good. I'm sure for mainstream audiences it would at least make those games more tolerable to look at/play/buy. I'm hoping Sony does something like that for PS1 games on the PS5, like they did for PS2 games on PS4.

Great responses, though I should probably have elaborated in my OP that I mean in terms of gameplay as well as graphics.

Cerebralbore101 said:

4. Starfox 64

This is probably my number 1 pick, as thanks to its simple design it doesn't have the camera/control/framerate woes that so many early 3D games suffered from.

Well, in terms of gameplay, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask have kinda clunky combat and some camera problems here and there but I still can enjoy them; their level design and pacing is still brilliant. Mario in Super Mario 64 still controls amazingly but sometimes there are camera problems. FFIX's combat is still good, but it's kinda slow in the original ps1 version (which didn't bother me that much and I think modern ports fixed that),