By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

This student debt relief doesn't help me much personally, but I wholeheartedly support it.

Around the Network

The average student loan debt in the U.S is $28,950 owed per borrower. (Source: https://www.forbes.com/advisor/student-loans/average-student-loan-statistics/) 

This forgiveness would keep/put the U.S average student loan debt below Canada's (average is $20,000 USD), England's (average is $53,000 USD), and probably even Australia's (average is $16,000 USD.)

Somewhere between a third to half of Americans with student loan debt will no longer have student loan debt after this too. Reducing the number of Americans who currently have student loan debt from about 43 million to somewhere between 21 and 30 million. This is because the median student loan debt in the U.S is $17,000. We don't know exactly how many won't have debt because we don't know quite how much this cross-tabulates with the income limit and those who received Pell Grants. 

Now depending on how the 5% cap and 25 year forgiveness are implemented (if implemented so that federal loans are essentially graduated income taxes like in these other countries) the U.S won't be the most regressive developed country on this issue anymore. 

Edit: The only other time I felt this wasn't the worst developed country to live in as far as economic equity is concerned was when I was getting 113% of my former income in unemployment benefits after being laid-off in the quarantine phase of the pandemic while friends in other countries were only getting about 80% of their former income while furloughed. 

Last edited by sc94597 - on 26 August 2022

I couldn’t get student aid because my parents made too much even though they weren’t going to help me. I found the cheapest two year college I could and paid my tuition in cash.

I am still okay with my tax dollars going towards student debt relief. Better that than millions of dollars in PPP loans for Markwayne Mullins.

TallSilhouette said:

Who really believes that? Trust the science.

Around the Network
ConservagameR said:
TallSilhouette said:

Who really believes that? Trust the science.

or maybe we should trust the GOP.  https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rep-jim-banks-military-recruitment-student-debt-relief_n_6307bfb9e4b052615d791b5b

That means the average forgiveness will be $16,000 - almost the median student debt-load in the U.S. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62669071

"The median student loan debt is just over $17,000, according to the Federal Reserve. About 17% owe less than $10,000 in federal student loans, while on the other extreme, 7% owe more than $100,000."

Been a couple good months for Brandon. Quite the turn around:

Bonus: Jamie Foxx does the best Trump impression I've ever heard, in case you haven't heard it already:

So after the affidavit was release and going through it myself, I am pretty sure that the DOJ will indict Trump. This is just my opinion but if he is found guilty, I believe he will get a pardon by Joe Biden on condition he leaves politics. If he is charged with any of the counts listed in the warrant, he would not be able to serve any political position again so no condition like that would be required. Either way this is a huge distraction for a lot of mid term GOP candidates and Trump sucks the air from their campaigns with another round of dumb stuff. The reason Joe would pardon Trump is because he is a formal president and purely political reasons. Now if Trump was found trying to sell or use those documents in a criminal way then that is a totally different can of worms. Either way, the question would be when will it be executed, before or after the mid terms, probably after.

Machiavellian said:

So after the affidavit was release and going through it myself, I am pretty sure that the DOJ will indict Trump. This is just my opinion but if he is found guilty, I believe he will get a pardon by Joe Biden on condition he leaves politics. If he is charged with any of the counts listed in the warrant, he would not be able to serve any political position again so no condition like that would be required. Either way this is a huge distraction for a lot of mid term GOP candidates and Trump sucks the air from their campaigns with another round of dumb stuff. The reason Joe would pardon Trump is because he is a formal president and purely political reasons. Now if Trump was found trying to sell or use those documents in a criminal way then that is a totally different can of worms. Either way, the question would be when will it be executed, before or after the mid terms, probably after.

That would be a huge mistake.

Trump and his sycophants would certainly spin this in their favor, saying that the entire thing was just a sham to get rid of Trump, making him - and Trumpism in general - much more popular again.