By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Sword and Shield coming late 2019 worldwide

h2ohno said:

https://youtu.be/uPFUzfck4oI

A look at how the game has changed graphically from Lets Go. Basically the environments see a huge improvement while models see extremely minor changes and are basically the same as they've been since X and Y. There are also some improved effects and camera tricks in the battles, but those are fairly minor.

That water comparison though! 

Last edited by Jranation - on 28 February 2019

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
h2ohno said:
To try to explain why people are disappointed...

Remember when, during E3 2013, Nintendo showed off its then brand new 3D Mario game, the first HD 3D Mario? Remember how at first everyone seemed to hate it? Even today I see plenty of people on Vchartz complain about how it wasn't a 'true 3D Mario.' Why did it get that hate then and still gets those complaints today? Because it was an HD console game that was using the style and formula of a handheld game. People were expecting something ambitious and mindblowing, and they didn't get it. And for some, the fact that the game was a blast to play still doesn't matter and they are still upset that the Wii U never got a 'true 3D Mario.'

Something similar is happening now. This is not just the first home console Pokemon, but it is releasing on a console that is more powerful than the PS3 and Wii U. This is a console that has seen BOTW, Skyrim, and Xenoblade 2. Gamefreak has already shown a hint of what this new Pokemon experience could be like with Lets Go and having Pokemon wandering on the world map. It was always a given that the graphics wouldn't be as good as Zelda or Xenoblade on the Switch, but this still offered an opportunity to expand on the world and adventure of a Pokemon game like never before and reintroduce that sense of wonder by looking out at a field and seeing herds of Pokemon roaming around or a legendary fly off into the distance. And this trailer has all but killed those hopes. The world will look nice, but the models remain pretty much the same as those used in 2013 on a system that could only do 240P, the primary design of the game appears to remain the same as it was in 1996 on an 8-bit system that couldn't even handle 3 colors, with any changes being pretty minor, and the chance to rekindle that sense of wonder fans got the first time they ventured into Veridian Forest or found Articuno 20 years ago has been squandered by the decision not to have Pokemon on the overworld, which is a decision that is going backwards from the last spinoff.

Many people are happy with what amounts to a 3DS game with HD environments. But others wanted that experience of feeling like they were truly in a world of Pokemon, to be surprised not by what attacks you in a separate screen, but by what walks by, flies by, swims by, scurries about their feet or towers over them as they explore. This isn't something that is so technologically demanding. Games have been doing it for years. The first Xenoblade did it on the Wii and New3DS. Monster Hunter was doing it on the PS2, Wii, and 3DS. Not having it here is a big letdown for anyone who wanted that feeling of wonder that even Pokemon Go captured.

This really captures my own sense of deflation. S/S still looks like an upgrade for Pokemon, just not nearly what I was hoping for.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Well, as someone who doesn't play Pokemon, here's my worthless two cents.

I can certainly understand that those who wanted this to the franchise's Breath of the Wild are a little underwhelmed, and yes, it would be nice if Pokemon got the AAA treatment.

On the other hand, this genuinely looks better than I was expecting. It's a step up from Let's Go graphically, and seems to deliver exactly what the producers promised; a more traditional Pokemon experience for the Switch. If it releases in November that gives them a further 8 months plus to polish it up, plus they'll likely be a lot more to it that we haven't yet seen in this brief preview.

curl-6 said:

I can certainly understand that those who wanted this to the franchise's Breath of the Wild are a little underwhelmed, and yes, it would be nice if Pokemon got the AAA treatment.

On the other hand, this genuinely looks better than I was expecting. It's a step up from Let's Go graphically, and seems to deliver exactly what the producers promised; a more traditional Pokemon experience for the Switch. If it releases in November that gives them a further 8 months plus to polish it up, plus they'll likely be a lot more to it that we haven't yet seen in this brief preview.

People are comparing franchises that went from N64-GC-Wii-Wii U-Switch and a franchise that went from GB-GBA-DS-3DS-Switch along with a smaller team and development time. I dont know why anyone expected BotW level visuals.

It makes me wonder what people are going to say when AlphaDream releases a Mario & Luigi game on Switch, another series that has been handheld exclusive. Are people going to complain that it doesnt look like Mario+Rabbids?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

People are comparing franchises that went from N64-GC-Wii-Wii U-Switch and a franchise that went from GB-GBA-DS-3DS-Switch along with a smaller team and development time. I dont know why anyone expected BotW level visuals.

It makes me wonder what people are going to say when AlphaDream releases a Mario & Luigi game on Switch, another series that has been handheld exclusive. Are people going to complain that it doesnt look like Mario+Rabbids?

Not even gonna get into this debate, but far out you are being overly defensive. I didn't even criticize the game and you're already leaping to its defense.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Not even gonna get into this debate, but far out you are being overly defensive. I didn't even criticize the game and you're already leaping to its defense.

I think you read that in a different tone than it was intended, I was agreeing with you more than anything and just adding some of my personal thoughts.

I know you weren't criticizing it and I wasnt trying to be defensive, you mentioned that some people were expecting BotW level and I was just saying that I dont know why anybody thought that and listed some reasons why that was never likely to happen.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

mZuzek said:

I just wanted to point out I don't think anyone ever expected BotW levels of either graphics or ambition. After all, this is Game Freak we're talking about here. It's not that people expect it to be like that - it's moreso that people are questioning why it can't be like that, when it's a franchise that's consistently sold massive numbers, much higher than those of Zelda and even Mario (3D). By all means, it should at least be as ambitious looking as those two are based on sales, if not more. It shouldn't be a matter of whether Game Freak is or isn't experienced with HD development, because when it's a franchise this big, the normal thing would be for there to be a massive budget and other development teams (who already have experience, in this scenario) helping out. Most people never expected this to happen, they're just questioning why it can't.

Because then they could only release a core Pokémon game every 5 years.

mZuzek said:

I just wanted to point out I don't think anyone ever expected BotW levels of either graphics or ambition. After all, this is Game Freak we're talking about here. It's not that people expect it to be like that - it's moreso that people are questioning why it can't be like that, when it's a franchise that's consistently sold massive numbers, much higher than those of Zelda and even Mario (3D). By all means, it should at least be as ambitious looking as those two are based on sales, if not more. It shouldn't be a matter of whether Game Freak is or isn't experienced with HD development, because when it's a franchise this big, the normal thing would be for there to be a massive budget and other development teams (who already have experience, in this scenario) helping out. Most people never expected this to happen, they're just questioning why it can't.

Sales don't really determine that though Minecraft is one of the top selling games of all time but I doubt any future game would deviate much even though it's outsold many ambitious titles because people are buying it for a reason other than that. I think this is also more so one of those things that's more a forum goer issue because the reception on social media platforms was a lot different highlighting that despite the discussion here GF have for most part provided what their fanbase wanted it's clear the series sells more on the unique charm than pushing tech hence why all similar games that do match the ambition people say the should such as Ni No Kuni don't even come close to its success and that's telling as to why GF approach things the way they do.

The overall fanbase just aren't really looking for that which is why they keep selling they're more focused on the evolution (no pun intended) of the series unique charm that drives the Pokemon subculture.

mZuzek said:

I think the biggest thing people need to understand is that Pokemon always was and has been a portable/handheld experience. The games have a TONNE of content but have never been about having the biggest worlds or the prettiest graphics. 

What I've seen is entirely in line with what I expected and hoped for. If people are upset about what we're getting, that's on them, not Nintendo. Nintendo is delivering in line with realistic expectations and gamers/fans are just salty, entitled dicks. 

Not you. you seem to be reasonable. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

mZuzek said:

Maybe we should instead of calling GF lazy think about other possible reasons why they're so unambitious with the pokemon brand.
Maybe it has something to do with the complicated copyright and royalty situation of the pokemon brand? GF seem to have the exclusive right to develop mainline pokemon games(and remakes) but we actually don't know how big their share of the revenue is. Maybe their share is very small and they didn't have the financial capacity to heavily invest into the studio when they switched to Switch(lol) and Nintendo also wasn't keen on investing in GF because the games sell either way and because GF is a independent studio and not owned by Nintendo.