By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Sword and Shield coming late 2019 worldwide

Nautilus said:

Ahoy matey, do please use some punctuation, because otherwise its hard to read what you write! Arrrrrrrrrrrr

Listen, my mate, Im not on some BS or not even on an SB.I actually think its impossible to fit a body inside two letters! lolololololol

Ok, enough joking around.Had to lighten up the mood because of that stupid first sentence you wrote.Word of advice: If you dont have any better argumentation to back up your claims, dont go Bsing people around, if you catch my drift.

And it seems that you dropped out of nowhere in this discussion, because I never said that Pokemon is not beloved.Quite the opposite really.What i said is that gen 1 and ghen 2 are more liked than other gens, but that these other gens are well liked in their own right.But even then, Pokemon is a juggernaut and it wont stop selling bonkers.The part about pokemon agmes not selling well is directed towards spin off games, and you can see thats the case in the link down below.There it will show that spin off games have indeed start selling worse in the recent years:(outside of Pokemon GO of course)

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon

Oh, and just for your information: BOTW is like at around 14 million right now, about 4 million units ahead of Lets Go, so I wouldnt call that "almost as much".And Odyssey must be around that number.And they will keep on selling, while Lets Go will stop when Shield and Sword drops.But hey, what do I know.

And this whole discussion started just because people cant get over the fact that some people didnt like what they saw.Yikes.

"Correction:Gen 1 and maybe gen 2 are really beloved.The rest is just grouped together."

This part here implies you were saying otherwise and before you try to pull the punctuation card it's always best you check your own posts for the same as it comes across as self ownage especially when it's more apparent in you own post here.

The's no stupid first sentence look at the sales numbers of mainline Pokemon games are they on average higher than Zelda and Mario? Take your time on this one the answer will make you realize where the BS is really coming from.

BOTW is at 14m after 2 years while PLG sold 10m by the end of December 2018 common sense is going to tell you how fast that gap has closed by now but the end of Q1 2019 it very likely would have passed BOTW .

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
flashfire926 said:

The music was awesome. They HAD to get rid of the trumpets, they got so annoying. Gen 3 had some of the worst soundtrack in the series (second worst only behind X/Y).

The story is way more fleshed out in ORAS, the evil teams, Brendan/May, and the evil teams got their due. It makes R/S feel like it has an incomplete story by comparison. At least it actually had an adequate story, unlike pokemon X/Y. The game is made for 10 year olds! Most of the games are about saving the world as the chosen one. How is ORAS different in any regard?

Are you talking about Mirage spots? How is that a con? Don't go catching them if you dont want to, you're not forced to do it.

ORAS has more fleshed out secret bases, the dexnav, rematching trainers, sneaking mechanic, and more which none of the 3DS games ever had.

Giving you a free Latias was stupid. Though thank god it didnt give us a free gen 1 starter an hour into the game and lucario as part of excessive fanservice.

Let's just start this post by clarifying that your musical taste is truly atrocious.

"The story is way more fleshed out in ORAS" yes it is, and that's why it's bad, because it's written like fucking shit. If I'm cringing in every cutscene, and cutscenes are going on all the time, then something is wrong. Yes most Pokémon stories have you saving the world, but there's rarely a "chosen one" element to it - and when there is, it's like, once. In Black/White you were N's chosen one to face him at the end of the game. In X/Y you were Lysandre's chosen one to stop him. Even in these occasions where you were someone's "chosen one", you were someone's chosen one, and that's already a lot better than being the "chosen one" just because. In OR/AS, you are the chosen one for:

1. Pokémon Contests
2. Latias/Latios
3. Groudon/Kyogre
4. The Pokémon League
5. May/Brendan
6. Rayquaza/Zinnia and her people

Literally all of these things are forced onto the player, with no choice. What it creates, is a game that's constantly telling you who you are, rather than allowing you to just be yourself. I think that's most epitomised by the game's baffling decision to remove character customization. OR/AS is all about forcing you to do things you don't want to do, and then telling you quite explicitly that you do want to do them. It's just fucking annoying. When I was first playing it (well, I only played it once), that whole Latias/Latios segment halfway through the game was pretty much the biggest turn-off I've had in Pokémon - I don't like having legendary Pokémon on my team, and I don't like being forced into catching them. It's understandable when they're the main cover legendary and you know the story will revolve around them, but forcing me to stop my adventure literally halfway through it because some random legendary I don't give a shit about wants to be caught by me was a fucking insult to me as a player.

You sure that all these things are forced upon the player?

Pokemon Contests are optional (aside from beginning part, which is a minor annoyance). It's optional content that you can choose to do or not do, and not forced upon you in anyway aside from that first time. 

Likewise, the Delta Episode is also optional endgame content, and is not forced upon you. You don't have to it to complete the game, therfore it's optional and again, not forced upon you. Both these are optional side content you can ignore. A big deal is being made out of nothing, here.

The only real argument here is having to catch Latias, which is fucking stupid, as you say. I Put it right in the PC. That was almost as bad as giving you gen 1 starter within the first hour of the game, and lucario for excessive fanservice.

And the rest are items present in rest of the pokemon games.

Okay, so my taste in music is atrocious. Whatever you say. Though lets be clear, nothing in ORAS is as bad as this atrocity:

Which sums up exactly how mediocre the X/Y soundtrack actually was in a nutshell. This is supposed to be an encounter theme that's just been stretched x200 to make full track out of it, as Game Freak was running out of development time. It's especially painful when we came off this:

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Wyrdness said:
Nautilus said:

Ahoy matey, do please use some punctuation, because otherwise its hard to read what you write! Arrrrrrrrrrrr

Listen, my mate, Im not on some BS or not even on an SB.I actually think its impossible to fit a body inside two letters! lolololololol

Ok, enough joking around.Had to lighten up the mood because of that stupid first sentence you wrote.Word of advice: If you dont have any better argumentation to back up your claims, dont go Bsing people around, if you catch my drift.

And it seems that you dropped out of nowhere in this discussion, because I never said that Pokemon is not beloved.Quite the opposite really.What i said is that gen 1 and ghen 2 are more liked than other gens, but that these other gens are well liked in their own right.But even then, Pokemon is a juggernaut and it wont stop selling bonkers.The part about pokemon agmes not selling well is directed towards spin off games, and you can see thats the case in the link down below.There it will show that spin off games have indeed start selling worse in the recent years:(outside of Pokemon GO of course)

Oh, and just for your information: BOTW is like at around 14 million right now, about 4 million units ahead of Lets Go, so I wouldnt call that "almost as much".And Odyssey must be around that number.And they will keep on selling, while Lets Go will stop when Shield and Sword drops.But hey, what do I know.

And this whole discussion started just because people cant get over the fact that some people didnt like what they saw.Yikes.

"Correction:Gen 1 and maybe gen 2 are really beloved.The rest is just grouped together."

This part here implies you were saying otherwise and before you try to pull the punctuation card it's always best you check your own posts for the same as it comes across as self ownage especially when it's more apparent in you own post here.

The's no stupid first sentence look at the sales numbers of mainline Pokemon games are they on average higher than Zelda and Mario? Take your time on this one the answer will make you realize where the BS is really coming from.

BOTW is at 14m after 2 years while PLG sold 10m by the end of December 2018 common sense is going to tell you how fast that gap has closed by now but the end of Q1 2019 it very likely would have passed BOTW .

It seems that I have... offended you?Arrr matey, would you excuse this old sea monkey?

Yeah, Pokemon usually sells better than Mario and Zelda.And?Never said otherwise.That comment was, yet again, directed towards spin offs.Which Zelda has almost any, mind you.So mostly directed at Mario spin off.Which it has many, and many are very successful.

And no, Lets Go wont sell more than Odyssey and BOTW.Im not a bet person, even if I have a bet with Wright, so I wont be making one.But the legs both those games showed, especially Zelda, should point out that they are far from being done, and history has shown that once a new gen comes, the previous will be cut short.And while yes, Lets Go is not a mainline entry, it was aimed at the same audience, so the same effect should happen to it.

And yes, it is lumped together, because the vast ocean that is called the casual market knows the pokemon from the gen 1 and 2, and the rest is identified as "Look, a Pokemon!".Again, that dosent mean that the other gens are not liked.They are, but hust by the ones more enthusiastic about Pokemon.Which is a shitton of people.Not just as big as the other shitton of people.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
zorg1000 said:

That is true for Mario spinoffs as well up until the resurgence of Switch which only has 1 Pokemon spinoff at the moment so not enough to make a comparison yet.

How about compare Mario spinoffs to Pokemon spinoffs on 3DS or Wii U? Mario is higher but it's not by some massive amount like you are trying to portray (with the exception of Mario Kart which is bigger than mainline Mario).

Yes, Gen 1/2 are more beloved that Gen 3 onward but that's not what you said. Take a look at the Gen 3 remake sales to see how popular it still is and with kids who grew up on DS becoming adults we will likely see a ton of nostalgia for gen 4 remakes in a couple years.

I never quantified the "belovedness" of each gen.Just said that gen 1 and 2 were up there, while the other gens were down there, when compared to one another.I dont doubt for one second about what you said on your last sentenced, given that.Which is, you know, something I never denied.

About the rest, while youdo have kind of a point, at the same time Mario does have a shitton of spin offs, gfar more than Pokemon does and ever will, so it will be an unfair comparison either way.Having said that, Mario spin off games do have a more consistent performance.Mario Party always sold well, with the best selling being at 10 millions(Super Mario Party will probably beat that), but even the worse selling ones settle at 2 to 3 million.Then there is Mario Kart, which we know how it does.Paper Mario, outside of Color Splash, have all done above 2 million as far as I remember, and the same can be applied to Mario and Luigi for the most part.The decline in their sales are mostly related to quality, but since I dont play the spin off pokemon games, I cant say thats the case for them too, so Ill not hold that aspect against them.And even the Mario Olimpic games sold well, if Im not mistaken, and have been rather consistent.

For Mario, all those spin off have been consistent, and while I may be wrong, their sales mostly depended on quality or hardware.Pokemon on the other hand, has basically just declined over the years.Cant speak if the quality is the problem, since I dont play them, but my gut tells me thats not the case.Thats the difference.

Anyway, that wasnt even the point I was trying to make originally.So lets just drop this discussion, ok?

That's utterly false, Pokemon is more or less stable since the GBA days.

No franchise can sustain the amount of popularity PokeMania had in the late 90's. It's ridiculous to expect that from anyhthing. Pokemon is still the world's biggest media franchise.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
Nautilus said:

I never quantified the "belovedness" of each gen.Just said that gen 1 and 2 were up there, while the other gens were down there, when compared to one another.I dont doubt for one second about what you said on your last sentenced, given that.Which is, you know, something I never denied.

About the rest, while youdo have kind of a point, at the same time Mario does have a shitton of spin offs, gfar more than Pokemon does and ever will, so it will be an unfair comparison either way.Having said that, Mario spin off games do have a more consistent performance.Mario Party always sold well, with the best selling being at 10 millions(Super Mario Party will probably beat that), but even the worse selling ones settle at 2 to 3 million.Then there is Mario Kart, which we know how it does.Paper Mario, outside of Color Splash, have all done above 2 million as far as I remember, and the same can be applied to Mario and Luigi for the most part.The decline in their sales are mostly related to quality, but since I dont play the spin off pokemon games, I cant say thats the case for them too, so Ill not hold that aspect against them.And even the Mario Olimpic games sold well, if Im not mistaken, and have been rather consistent.

For Mario, all those spin off have been consistent, and while I may be wrong, their sales mostly depended on quality or hardware.Pokemon on the other hand, has basically just declined over the years.Cant speak if the quality is the problem, since I dont play them, but my gut tells me thats not the case.Thats the difference.

Anyway, that wasnt even the point I was trying to make originally.So lets just drop this discussion, ok?

That's utterly false, Pokemon is more or less stable since the GBA days.

No franchise can sustain the amount of popularity PokeMania had in the late 90's. It's ridiculous to expect that from anyhthing. Pokemon is still the world's biggest media franchise.

This was directed to the spin off games, not the mainline ones.Look at the data;

But to the rest, yeah you are right.I do agree.That is why I think it needs a shakeup, since Pokemon has so much more potential in it, like GO showed.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:

It seems that I have... offended you?Arrr matey, would you excuse this old sea monkey?

Yeah, Pokemon usually sells better than Mario and Zelda.And?Never said otherwise.That comment was, yet again, directed towards spin offs.Which Zelda has almost any, mind you.So mostly directed at Mario spin off.Which it has many, and many are very successful.

And no, Lets Go wont sell more than Odyssey and BOTW.Im not a bet person, even if I have a bet with Wright, so I wont be making one.But the legs both those games showed, especially Zelda, should point out that they are far from being done, and history has shown that once a new gen comes, the previous will be cut short.And while yes, Lets Go is not a mainline entry, it was aimed at the same audience, so the same effect should happen to it.

And yes, it is lumped together, because the vast ocean that is called the casual market knows the pokemon from the gen 1 and 2, and the rest is identified as "Look, a Pokemon!".Again, that dosent mean that the other gens are not liked.They are, but hust by the ones more enthusiastic about Pokemon.Which is a shitton of people.Not just big as the other shitton of people.

The usual victim card first it's "You guys don't get some of us are disappointed" now it's "You're offended..." when the truth of the matter is you made a poor argument hence why many people pulled you on it. You declare PLG won't outsell BOTW or Odyssey but you rule out any bets on the matter doesn't look like you're as confident in your prediction as you're trying to portray. 

The are many people who look at B/W, X/Y, D/P and so on just as fondly as the first two I suspect this is just a case of that's how you personally feel and think it's universal when that's not the case.

Wyrdness said:
Nautilus said:

And yes, it is lumped together, because the vast ocean that is called the casual market knows the pokemon from the gen 1 and 2, and the rest is identified as "Look, a Pokemon!".Again, that dosent mean that the other gens are not liked.They are, but hust by the ones more enthusiastic about Pokemon.Which is a shitton of people.Not just big as the other shitton of people.

The usual victim card first it's "You guys don't get some of us are disappointed" now it's "You're offended..." when the truth of the matter is you made a poor argument hence why many people pulled you on it. You declare PLG won't outsell BOTW or Odyssey but you rule out any bets on the matter doesn't look like you're as confident in your prediction as you're trying to portray. 

The are many people who look at B/W, X/Y, D/P and so on just as fondly as the first two I suspect this is just a case of that's how you personally feel and think it's universal when that's not the case.

The bolded: Its not me that is hinting at that, its the Pokemon Company itself.Whenever they market some big project from them, its always the same suspects.But that dosent mean that people dont like the other gens.As I have said, you know, five times already.But Im done with this.I think I have made my point pretty clear, and when you are repeating something that I have already said, then I think you are just being stubborn.

Ábout the rest:I dont want to bet because I dont like to bully, because this is one easy win, but most of all, I dont like to bet with someone who takes it personal.Not only its not sportive, but the act of winning or losing wouldnt be something peaceful, like "Hey, you won.Goddammit, you were right!" or "Hey, you lost!Told you I was right.Time to use that funny avatar!".By all the replies you gave me, like saying that I was spouting some BS, that Im playing the victim card and so on, you would probably just call me names all the time, wether you win or lose, and I dont need it, nor want it.

Simple as that.

Nautilus said:

The bolded: Its not me that is hinting at that, its the Pokemon Company itself.Whenever they market some big project from them, its always the same suspects.But that dosent mean that people dont like the other gens.As I have said, you know, five times already.But Im done with this.I think I have made my point pretty clear, and when you are repeating something that I have already said, then I think you are just being stubborn.

Ábout the rest:I dont want to bet because I dont like to bully, because this is one easy win, but most of all, I dont like to bet with someone who takes it personal.Not only its not sportive, but the act of winning or losing wouldnt be something peaceful, like "Hey, you won.Goddammit, you were right!" or "Hey, you lost!Told you I was right.Time to use that funny avatar!".By all the replies you gave me, like saying that I was spouting some BS, that Im playing the victim card and so on, you would probably just call me names all the time, wether you win or lose, and I dont need it, nor want it.

Simple as that.

You were though that's a simple observation I'm not going to sugar coat it you played the victim in implying those who responded to you as simply not liking you being disappointed, the irony is the personal comment as your replies highlighted you taking things the most personal thinking we're all out to get you because you're disappointed and in the ad hominem attacks in this post here.

As for marketing ofcourse TPC are going to use the usual suspects that's the result of becoming a mascot the anime played a big role in cementing who is seen as a mascot not the games.

Wyrdness said:
Nautilus said:

Simple as that.

You were though that's a simple observation I'm not going to sugar coat it you played the victim in implying those who responded to you as simply not liking you being disappointed, the irony is the personal comment as your replies highlighted you taking things the most personal thinking we're all out to get you because you're disappointed and in the ad hominem attacks in this post here.

As for marketing ofcourse TPC are going to use the usual suspects that's the result of becoming a mascot the anime played a big role in cementing who is seen as a mascot not the games.

Some were.Some were arguing with me because I was dissapointed.At least thats the impression i got.Others, like zorg, were discussing with me about the sales of the spin off games, which I think i have cleared the misunderstandment.

Either way, im done with this.I think I made myself pretty clear on where I stand.For the ones that didnt, there are around 30 comments that i wrote in this thread to make anyone enlightened on my stance.

RingoGaSuki said:

Blurry as hell, but someone seems to have accurately leaked insight into the early development of Sword/Shield way back in April last year. Obviously stuff has changed since then, but it checks out imo, it's not claiming anything ridiculous. 

The idea for gym leaders/badges to be replaced with lords/medals doesn't seem to bad to me (though they've obviously changed that back to gyms, likely on feedback), the differing champion/E4 depending on version is intriguing too. 

The 'sword forme'/'shield forme' thing has shown up in a few other places too (specifically referring to Flygon, Tyranitar and... ugh, Charizard and Mewtwo.

Not surprising at all that Game Freak wasn't ready for HD development either, it shows.

Having given it time to digest, my opinions are largely positive for Sword and Shield though. It's nowhere near as ambitious as it should be, but it looks good if nothing else.

Being the male champion for shield just fits a lot with my avatar picture xD 

Pocky Lover Boy!