By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: MS to release Xbox Gamepass and Published titles on Switch

Pinkie_pie said:
Why switch and not ps4? Their games would be much easier to port over to and gamepass would be much more profitable on the ps4.

Well, if this rumor is true, you have to remember that MS is actually giving it another go next gen.  Doing this on the PS4 would hurt their chances, since they compete much more with Sony than Nintendo, and that would 100% make an XB2 unnecessary.  This wouldn't surprise if it were true, as they are really making a bunch of moves lately to make a transition from HW/SW to just SW easier.  My guess is that if they do stumble out the gate, again (which is very possible if we get a very powerful PS5 @ $399 w/ B/C with PS4), they will just stick with PC + Nintendo develop, much like Sega did after the Dreamcast failed to change their situation in the HW market.  And much like Sega, if the PS5 is on its way to 100M, too, the higher ups and investors will probably be insisting on releasing games on PS5, as that is where they will flourish the most with core console gamers.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Wyrdness said:

It won't as it helps push the Switch as a platform as MS essentially would be third party support it mainly targets Sony as for them it would mean NS and Xbox would be a sort of pseudo unified platform. Keep in mind with the NS being a hybrid the portable market consistently hits 75m plus units with a good potential for 100m now add what any future Xbox platform may sell on top of that and that is the potential consumer base Sony would be up against with this move it's very forward thinking.

Ok, I'll take your word for it, but I'll remain cautious.

Let's just hope MS doesn't snuggle up to them, with the end goal being an acquisition.

I wonder would Nintendo require you to buy their online pass in order to play gamepass. Could be a worthwhile trade off.

If they do this I believe the xbox will sell less as the exclusives will be available on Switch and pc.

Well i guess we wait and see how it plays out. Will be interesting if it comes to fruition.

cycycychris said:
I'm pumped for Ori, would be near day 1 for me

Gamepass, eh? They'd need some awesome things on it for me to shell out $20 a month.

Unless the price recently changed, Gamepass only costs $10 per month, and is often available for less than that.  

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure this is gonna be a watered down version of Game Pass like select indie exclusive titles and something similar. No way its as grand as what Gamepass currently is on Xbox One. I can't see that happening

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Pinkie_pie said:
Why switch and not ps4? Their games would be much easier to port over to and gamepass would be much more profitable on the ps4.

Sony has a competing service with PS Now.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

HylianSwordsman said:
shikamaru317 said:

The report specifically mentions Ori and the Blind Forest as a possibility for direct porting to Switch. Some other possibilities that might make sense for Switch imo:

-Rare Replay
-Battletoads
-Super Lucky's Tale (already rumored for Switch by another source)
-ReCore (developed by former Metroid Prime devs)
-Cuphead

All of this, please.

I must say though, if something like this happens, I won't need to buy an Xbox. Wouldn't Microsoft be crazy to do this? I mean unless they're transitioning their game division's business model to sell a service instead of software or hardware, which would be a fairly Microsoft move to make, and would make a Nintendo-Microsoft partnership much more feasible. Hardware wise, if Microsoft wants to continue selling Xbox hardware, having Nintendo exclusives and Microsoft exclusives on each other's systems would only work if Microsoft only develops the high end home console hardware while Nintendo develops only lower end and portable/hybrid software. Sharing technology would be promising though, as Nintendo could get Microsoft's Hololens and Microsoft would get Nintendo's controller innovation. I think overall though, Nintendo would be making out way better than Microsoft here, at least in the hardware and software businesses. Microsoft would get most of its money out of the deal selling Game Passes and Xbox Live subscriptions. But then why would Nintendo be investing in their own online service if this sort of partnership is in the pipeline?

Yeah, I think this. I mean, think about it: If you own a Nintendo console and one of Sony's or Microsofts consoles each gen (a combination not unheard of since the Wii-gen), this would turn the scale far, far into the corner of preferring the Microsoft console as combination instead of Sonys offering. Because you can use Gamepass then on both devices. Even if people only get the Switch, then MS makes money off Gamepass. I can see that Gamepass is Microsofts bet for the future, not their console. If they have a move that gives them a massive advantage versus the competitors PS Now and EA Access, then I think MS is willing to do that. And partnering up with Nintendo would be a massive gain for Gamepass.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

HylianSwordsman said:
shikamaru317 said:

I would love to see a partnership like that. Switch basically becoming Microsoft's handheld, and Xbox basically becoming Nintendo's home console. If Google does release a next-gen console like some rumors suggest they will, Google could be very steep competition next-gen since they have alot of money to throw around and moneyhat studios and exclusives with. Such a partnership between Nintendo and Microsoft could be their best chance of surviving in a 4 console market. 

I mean it would be insanely powerful, and I don't just mean specs wise. Imagine if the next Switch docked in the next Xbox? Or hell, what if the Switch Pro does? Could solve Nintendo's weird problem with having a console that's sort of in between gens and is just getting momentum when the next generation starts. They release a Switch Pro that interacts directly with a next gen console and people have an all new reason to buy a Switch while long time Switch owners continue to get games developed for the Switch and Nintendo doesn't have to release a new console and cut the Switch's life short. Brand wise it fixes Nintendo's kiddie image while bolstering Xbox's family friendly image. That said I don't see any cross branding happening, aka no "Xtendos" or "Nintendoboxes" at least in official branding, Nintendo Switch and Xbox would keep their separate brands, just happen to work together.

Since the Switch released I've been thinking how great for both companies a Xbox-dock for Switch would be. I still thought that this is a nutters thought, but with the recent news of the companies cozying up (cross-play, Xbox-Live available for Switch devs), maybe it isn't as crazy a thought as I made it out to be. And as you describe, it would be a great benefit for both companies and would shape the next gen in a completely different direction.

Kerotan said:
I wonder would Nintendo require you to buy their online pass in order to play gamepass. Could be a worthwhile trade off.

If they do this I believe the xbox will sell less as the exclusives will be available on Switch and pc.

Not sure about Switch online. With such a move Xbox Live available for Switch would be very possible.

And I not necessarily think this makes the Xbox-console obsolete. Streaming is still far away from being as good as having the possibility to play a game natively. So maybe Switch-owners like the games they play via gamepass but want them lag-free and invest in a Xbox.