By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: MS to release Xbox Gamepass and Published titles on Switch

Soundwave said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

They want an online monopoly. Forget the consoles, they don't care about those. If they succeed in monopolizing the online base they will ween off of consoles and go third party. We've been talking about this stuff for years Sony has always been standing in their way and choose to go the self sufficient route.

MS wants to control the Cloud. If Amazon or Google win the race for a game streaming service, MS will be very upset. 

Sony is small potatoes, Nintendo is basically a non-competitor/friendly colleague in MS' eyes. 

If MS is successful in getting the defacto game streaming service, they "win" (at least by their metric). 

I don't know you. But you marginalize Sony and PS in every post. That's quite the hot take given how MS have historically, and continue to perform against PS in the gaming sphere. And Nintendo is immune to the same scrutiny.... To say nothing for how MS has performed in the open market against other tech competitors. This endeavor however, is in the MS wheelhouse: An attempt to establish dominance in such a way that it removes to a significant degree, consumer choice. I composed this on my Windows phone while listening to Two Princes on my Zune. Then I taped my Windows phone to my ass and posted it by dropping down onto my SmartGlass.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

They want an online monopoly. Forget the consoles, they don't care about those. If they succeed in monopolizing the online base they will ween off of consoles and go third party. We've been talking about this stuff for years Sony has always been standing in their way and choose to go the self sufficient route.

MS wants to control the Cloud. If Amazon or Google win the race for a game streaming service, MS will be very upset. 

Sony is small potatoes, Nintendo is basically a non-competitor/friendly colleague in MS' eyes. 

If MS is successful in getting the defacto game streaming service, they "win" (at least by their metric). 

I think there is some merit to your hypothesis here.  The thing about these big companies (like Microsoft) is that they often have access to leaked information that the rest of us don't have.  Google is going to unveil new gaming hardware soon, but we really don't know hardly anything about it yet.  On the other hand Microsoft actually may already know what this hardware is, and they have already taking steps to compete against it.

I expect things to become more clear when Google announces their new hardware.

VAMatt said:
I've been thinking about this for a couple days now. I must say, if this is true, it's probably the biggest industry news since MS announced their entry into gaming. It would be absolutely massive for Nintendo and MS, obviously. But, it is nearly certain that Sony would do something to either counter, or jump on board. PS Now would work on Switch the same as Gamepass, with the same benefits to both Sony and Ninty. But, really Gamepass on PS might be a possibility too.

The benefits for MS are obvious there. But, I see a big benefit for PS as well. If one can play Forza, Gears, and Halo on PS, there is really no reason left to buy an XB console. That would effectively leave PS as the only real player in the home console space. MS gets their GaaS money, Sony gets rid of their main competitor in hardware. Gamers get all the games from both. Win-win-win.

Sony could also put PS Now on other devices. That's probably a more likely scenario. But, it doesn't have the same Earth shattering implications. So, it's not as fun to BS about in this forum....

No, the one that would benefit the most in your scenario would be Nintendo, because if you owned a Switch, you would have acess to basically all games that ends up being released.And that would be a dumb move for Sony, because that would undermine their console, since you know, the Switch is also a home console.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

JimmyFantasy said:
Soundwave said:

That's right, I think Sony will probably be in a big trouble in the next gen, too. 

Granted that all the big players (Google, Amazon, Microsoft) will offer a gaming service full of ALL the new games that will come, will Sony be able to compete with them?

Costumers want the best service at the lowest price (like Netflix is), a streaming service that is fast, reliable, cheap and with all the new releases available at day 1 (new games from ea, squarenix, capcom, bethesda etc), can Sony offer e better/cheaper cloud/streaming infrastructure than Google, for example? Can also Sony maintain all of their third-parties exclusives?

I doubt so :(

Maybe the VR can become a strong selling point for the Playstation brand, but it needs to evolve further. 

Nintendo on the other side, is quite in a safe place in my opinion, because they have built a strong image, have their unique way of making games, strong characters and worlds, a very loyal fanbase that really wants new games from the series they produce from more than 35 years. If you want to play a Mario, Zelda or Pokemon game you need a Nintendo hardware. Also, partnership with Microsoft for a streaming service will make a Nintendo console more valuable, giving a costumer the ability to play virtually ANY game plus Nintendo original game.

I don't think Sony is in that much trouble. Playstation as a brand is incredibly strong. Their subscription service is actually above Game Pass in market share by a lot. Here's a chart from forevercloud3000's thread on the subject. It comes from an analysis by SuperData Research on Q3 2018 revenue.

Given this, I think Sony will be fine. Their VR is where they might struggle to compete in the future. There just isn't a lot of strong competition now, and Nintendo has stated that they're watching the space but not jumping in until the technology evolves a bit. I'd be interested into how Hololens plays into the evolution of the AR space, especially given Nintendo's incredible closeness to Microsoft lately. Nintendo's done a good bit with AR between the 3DS and Pokemon Go, so clearly they're interested in that space. I could see them developing unique AR experiences for Hololens that wouldn't be possible on normal consoles or phones. A new way to play games with multiple major players on board could really shake up the industry, possibly as much as Gamepass on Switch. As for VR, I think as the technology develops, it would be very easy for Nintendo to adapt a future Switch to be VR compatible, and at some point you know Microsoft is going to try their hand at it.

I think what really makes Nintendo so safe in the near future is not just their exclusives and brand loyalty, but the fact that it doesn't seem like either major console maker is going to compete with their hybrid console. Microsoft, if they do this, is basically making the Switch their door into the handheld market to sell software and services, reducing the incentive to make dedicated hardware for that purpose. Sony seems to be done with portables, has expressed that they don't feel like they're in competition with Switch, and could very easily offer Playstation Now on Switch as a counter to Microsoft's move, accomplishing the same thing Microsoft does and accessing the shrinking but still fairly healthy portable gaming market. With that much cooperation between the big three console makers, Apple, Google, and Amazon would all have a hard time entering the home console market, wouldn't be able to compete with the slew of high end experiences Gamepass and PS Now offer on Switch to compete in the hybrid market, pretty much have the portable market cornered already with their phones. So they would only really be able to compete with some kind of game streaming service, but perhaps even that has been headed off with Microsoft with some contractual language preventing Nintendo from allowing those services on their systems in exchange for Gamepass. That would isolate newcomer companies into their own ecosystems, preventing them from growing much.

What this whole thread boils down to is...... the next decade is likely to be a period of massive change in gaming. I'm excited! This is a great time to be a gamer.

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
Soundwave said:

I don't know you. But you marginalize Sony and PS in every post. That's quite the hot take given how MS have historically, and continue to perform against PS in the gaming sphere. And Nintendo is immune to the same scrutiny.... To say nothing for how MS has performed in the open market against other tech competitors. This endeavor however, is in the MS wheelhouse: An attempt to establish dominance in such a way that it removes to a significant degree, consumer choice. I composed this on my Windows phone while listening to Two Princes on my Zune. Then I taped my Windows phone to my ass and posted it by dropping down onto my SmartGlass.

Performed in the open market? MS is the most valuable tech company in the world at the moment.

shikamaru317 said:
exclusive_console said:

IMO Microsoft has given up on Xbox. I can see them providing their games, services to any platform as a third party.

Highly unlikely. They just renamed Microsoft Game Studios as Xbox Game Studios, and have bought multiple new developers now. There are multiple reliable sources saying that Xbox Scarlett with be announced this year and release next year, with plans to have the most powerful console next gen. Those are not the moves of a 3rd party publisher, 3rd party publishers do not release serious new hardware. 

According to rumors they will release some ports on Nintendo and rest will be via game pass. For example Nintendo I am sure will not make their exclusives on other platforms unlike Microsoft. People buy Nintendo console to play their exclusives. Xbox is not having that demand so I guess they decided to release their games on other platforms and have changed their strategy to provide games and services to as many players as possible irrespective which device they use.