By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best motion controls on Wii

Wii Sports Resort.

Red Steel 2

Skyward Sword (shame it was such a week Zelda)

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
KungKras said:
Wii Sports Resort.

Red Steel 2

Skyward Sword (shame it was such a week Zelda)

same here.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

archbrix said:
To me, the pointer controls specifically were the single best thing about the Wii. Playing a game like Prime Trilogy at 60fps with a steadied hand is one of the best experiences I've ever had with a game and it will be sorely missed when Prime 4 releases on Switch. I truly hope that Nintendo releases a sensor bar add on for the dock and Wii Remote support.

Yeah it's going to be very hard going back after experiencing the nirvana that was Prime 3/Trilogy's controls. At least games like Doom, Wolfenstein II, and Splatoon 2 on Switch have demonstrated that, while not quite as great as a pointer, gyro controls can still offer a much better experience than just analogue sticks. Hopefully Prime 4 will have gyro controls similar to Panic Button's ports.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 10 February 2019

Wii play motion.
Not the best game, but the motion implementation was very good.

Metroid Prime 3 and Zelda Skyward Sword.

Around the Network

Silent Hill Shattered Memories was another good one rarely mentioned. (And also just a really good game that's rarely mentioned IMO)

Using motion and pointer controls to aim your torch, manipulate your environment to solve puzzles, and throw off attacking enemies felt great.

Skyward Sword and Red Steel 2

Reading through this topic makes me reallize I thoroughly miss pointer controls for fps games. Dual analogue controls are the equivalent of playing an RTS game without a mouse. Rip-off or not, I wish Sony would bring back the Move controller for PS4 (not just for VR).

On topic: Wii Sports & Resort, Metroid Prime, Medal of Honor and Red Steel 2 all played like a dream, unlike any other non-motion control games.

Interesting how there’s a pretty big split between those who like IR controls and those who liked the 1:1 motion+.

It just goes to show that the Wii motion gaming was not as simplistic as waggle to go.

I am on the minority side (there’s a few of you in the thread) who enjoyed the accelerometer based controls the most - I think these are best demonstrated in games like WarioWare: but also quite fun in Just Dance and Wii Fit. I also love the IR aiming (particularly in third person).

The idea of 1:1 is something I really appreciate on paper but, unfortunately, didn’t enjoy in practice, at least with how games have been designed to feel more mechanical - e.g. Zelda felt more like a mini game of striking a certain way than using your own sorts of fighting techniques to destroy monsters. On the bright side, I’m glad many enjoy it. And it shows, again, the diversity of motion control tastes Nintendo did and can develop.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Chrizum said:

Reading through this topic makes me reallize I thoroughly miss pointer controls for fps games.  

God, you're not alone. While gyro eases the pain a bit, I would give almost anything to be able to play Doom 2016 or Wolfenstein II with pointer aiming. It remains to this day THE best control method for aiming in my book.

Jumpin said:
Interesting how there’s a pretty big split between those who like IR controls and those who liked the 1:1 motion+.

I actually really like both; I thoroughly enjoyed the accuracy and intuitive nature of IR aiming in games like Metroid Prime 3 and Sin & Punishment 2, but I also loved full-on gesture-based inputs in games like Red Steel 2 and Wii Sports Resort. Plus a lot of games blended the two to good effect.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 11 February 2019