By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Coming at the End of 2020 According to Analyst: High-Spec Hardware for Under $500

Price, SKUs, specs ?

Only Base Model, $399, 9-10TF GPU, 16GB RAM 24 30.00%

Only Base Model, $449, 10-12TF GPU, 16GB RAM 13 16.25%

Only Base Model, $499, 12-14TF GPU, 24GB RAM 21 26.25%

Base Model $399 and PREMIUM $499 specs Ans3 10 12.50%

Base Mod $399 / PREM $549, >14TF 24GB RAM 5 6.25%

Base Mod $449 / PREM $599, the absolute Elite 7 8.75%

Total:80
Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

I would remove the touchpad, it is hardly used and in a position you won't do anything without being harder on holding the controller. The lightbar is also unnecessary.

They could even have one specific small nand or any other fast memory specific to have the OS plus its dedicated RAM. Then the hybrid HDD would be a good thing for the rest.

Much more likely than having a single SKU at 499 imho.

1. I doubt they can remove the light bar now as that will break functionality with VR games. Same thin with the touch pad as there are a good number of games that support it on some level. If anything its more likely that its made into some sort of touch screen. 
    We don't know what they are making for PS5, why would they need lightbar? On PS4 I totally agree they can't remove both (well they could, just would need to advise it may not work with all games), but on PS5 they can make the control totally different and VR wouldn't need to be affected because of it.
  2. As fr the storage thing its really not a complicated issue. Just price prohibitive. But certain boxes must be checked.

Firstly, every sku must support it so devs can build their games knowing that is what everyone has. Funny thing about this is that it actually means its a bad idea to put in a 2.5" SSD. Why? Cause that will mean you also make the SSD non upgradeable unless specifying that you can only use SSDs. You dont want someone in to put in a 4TB HDD in there and breaking performance. 

If being forward thinking and ideally its better to have like 240GB cache SSD embedded on the PCB then still have a normal 2.5" 2TB drive knowing that as nand flash prices drop they can ultimately take out the HDD and only have an SSD.

I just feel they have t do something. Load times was one of the reasons HDDs even started being mandatory in these consoles and now games pretty much run entirely off the HDD. We are at the point now where the HDD of choice used since 2001 just isnt good enough on its own. 
I do agree that we can see some improvement on the storage area, although I don't really worry to much about loading time, much better than it was during PS3 and the sleep function is very good since I usually only play one game at a time (although cold start is good for me because light here drops everyday so I need to start console everyday).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
JamesGarret said:
Since we´re talking about the PS5 here, what changes would you guys like to see made with the controller?...would you keep the light bar or remove it?...any features you´d like to see added to the Dualshock 5?

Change the light bar to an infrared setup (or similar). Dramatically improve battery life. USB-C (practically given). Improve durability. Maybe a couple extra buttons on the back of the controller (a la Elite/modded pads). Maybe a small, efficient touchscreen in place of the touchpad for controller info, but nothing fancy that you'd need to look at during gameplay.

I also think it may be a good idea for the DS5 to be able to split in two and pull double duty as the full blown PSVR2 controller. That would reduce VR's price significantly, but a patent some time ago suggests PSVR2 will get its own bespoke controllers instead. Maybe a hybrid just isn't ergonomic enough. =/

Nate4Drake said:
JamesGarret said:

For sure, the DS4 battery life is pretty disappointing imo...what about the physical shape of the controller?...would you want to see it changed with the DS5?

DS4 fits perfectly in my hands, and I like the shape too, though a part of me always want innovation.   At this point I trust Sony 100% and I'm confident whatever they do it'll make me happy ;)   

What I really want is PS5 BC with all playstation consoles(a must is at least with PS4), Sony have to secure the Playstation ecosystem and impress the World; after the success of PS4 it is not possible to sleep on our laurels, but they need to go the next level and improve everything.  I'm also waiting for a much more robust Launch line-up.

Any thoughts from you ?

Yeah I think this time BC is a given, Sony is making lots of money with PS Plus and PS5 having BC with PS4 will help retain players in the PSN ecosystem, plus the PS5´s architecture is probably pretty similar (or the same?) to the PS4, different from the PS3-PS4 transition where they went from the exotic Cell in the PS3 to the (much better for developers) X86 in the PS4.

Also, the same way it happened in the beginning of this gen, I expect most multiplatform games to be cross gen for the first/second year.

I really hope they keep the touch pad in DS5! But what I really don't understand is why no developers use the touchpad or gyroscope in Non-VR games.

The touchpad is an instant 6-12 button hotkey and its infuriating that developers (particularly RPG devs) are still forcing us to pause games, run through 2 menu options, just to load another Runic Attack (God of War), weapon/Spell (Final Fantasy XV, Skyrim, Fallout etc) when we can just assign it to a 1 second button hold on the touchpad (Corners, center, top, bottom button) or a swipe on the left or side side of the touch pad (Swipe:up, down, left, right)

And then there's Gyro aiming which is simply superior in accuracy and really should be an option in all games for down the scope targeting or things like aiming the Axe in God of War. It really baffles me that 1st party developers are not even pushing these things.

Last edited by Otter - on 13 February 2019

Otter said:

I really hope they keep the touch pad in DS5! But what I really don't understand is why no developers use the touchpad or gyroscope in Non-VR games.

The touchpad is an instant 6-12 button hotkey and its infuriating that developers (particularly RPG devs) are still forcing us to pause games, run through 2 menu options, just to load another Runic Attack (God of War), weapon/Spell (Final Fantasy XV, Skyrim, Fallout etc) when we can just assign it to a 1 second button hold on the touchpad (Corners, center, top, bottom button) or a swipe on the left or side side of the touch pad (Swipe:up, down, left, right)

And then there's Gyro aiming which is simply superior in accuracy and really should be an option in all games for down the scope targeting or things like aiming the Axe in God of War. It really baffles me that 1st party developers are not even pushing these things.

Sadly I don't have an answer...

Talking about science fiction :D, it would seem that the new DualShock 5 can integrate a technology based on holograms. The Sony patent shows that multimedia content can be projected from the Sony controller, but it is not confirmed whether the technology is dedicated to PS5, and what could be the utility ?   

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network

399 :)

Heavenly_King said:
399 :)

Please do this Sony! 

Mr Puggsly said:
Pemalite said:

Absolutely agree. No excuse not to have it.

Allot of the UI is actually rendered by the Graphics Processing Unit...
The CPU is tasked with various load operations... But the sluggish UI is actually a Hard Drive issue as not everything is loaded into DRAM... So when a user requests something, the information likely takes 20ms just to start loading the initial information.

8GB of Ram is starting to become *extremely* limiting on the PC... And that is before we even start looking at the GPU Ram pools on top of that where GPU's are now coming out with 16GB buffers.

I'm more referring to the UI just feeling sluggish, takes time to load stuff in, freezes for a bit, etc. I suspect these more CPU related than GPU or RAM, if it was than X1X would probably load significantly faster than it does.

Hard Drive.
The CPU doesn't help matters no doubt about it... But anyone who uses a PC will know that the Hard Drive is a big culprit in making anything feel sluggish irrespective of CPU.
For example you can take a decade old dual-core CPU clocked at 2ghz... And it will be dog slow because of the 5400rpm spinning rust, but whack an SSD in there and it feels like a dramatic step up in general OS tasks.

Mr Puggsly said:

Games are certainly using more than 8GB at highest settings at this point. I was entertaining his idea that developers might be okay working with just 8GB given they already do plenty with 5GB. But 16GB is a reasonable expectation for the 9th gen considering consoles launched with 8GB in 2013.

Yeah. 16GB seems to be the general consensus.
PC games are pushing over 8GB of system ram+8GB GPU Ram now... 16GB total and that's pretty mid-range... Many demanding games are seeing gains with 16GB of system Ram+8GB GPU (24GB total).

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Mr Puggsly said:

Games are certainly using more than 8GB at highest settings at this point. I was entertaining his idea that developers might be okay working with just 8GB given they already do plenty with 5GB. But 16GB is a reasonable expectation for the 9th gen considering consoles launched with 8GB in 2013.

Yeah. 16GB seems to be the general consensus.
PC games are pushing over 8GB of system ram+8GB GPU Ram now... 16GB total and that's pretty mid-range... Many demanding games are seeing gains with 16GB of system Ram+8GB GPU (24GB total).

This is one f those areas where a console varies greatly from a PC. First off a consoles OS isn't anything like a PC OS. Secondly and more importantly the fragmented nature of general PC design means that there is a lot of redundancy. Just taking the GPU and CPU fr instance, their separate memory pools means there is a fair amount of data that sits in both pls of memory. Also the fact that both pls have different bandwidths.

A console with 16GB of RAM available for devs will do wonders. 

They have to launch a model at 399.99 thats the sweet spot. Every console they released at that price point was successful.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi