By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Coming at the End of 2020 According to Analyst: High-Spec Hardware for Under $500

Price, SKUs, specs ?

Only Base Model, $399, 9-10TF GPU, 16GB RAM 24 30.00%

Only Base Model, $449, 10-12TF GPU, 16GB RAM 13 16.25%

Only Base Model, $499, 12-14TF GPU, 24GB RAM 21 26.25%

Base Model $399 and PREMIUM $499 specs Ans3 10 12.50%

Base Mod $399 / PREM $549, >14TF 24GB RAM 5 6.25%

Base Mod $449 / PREM $599, the absolute Elite 7 8.75%

Total:80
DonFerrari said:

If you don't have a HDR TV you really won't see any HDR. And HDR is just to have better colors, and I can tell you I have seem some great color schemes on some games.

Not exactly! Extra colour is part of the equation... But the big benefit is actually contrasts... I.E. The difference between the brightest parts of a scene and the darkest parts.
In short, colour and contrast goes hand in hand to make "HDR".

10-bit and 12-bit colour can reduce allot of the colour banding in games and makes the images seem more realistic... But I would be kidding myself if I could actually tell a massive difference between an 8-bit FRC display and a native 10-bit display unless I got really close to the display to try and discern the differences.
..But the improvements over a 6-bit panel is stupidly substantial.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

I'll post again, maybe it was missed. I think they are interesting tidbits.

PS5 could be revealed soon :D and some very interesting words from Shawn Layden, SIE Worldwide Studios chairman and former SIE president and CEO.

""Sony’s decision to drop out of the long-running E3 trade show this year was a result of the event’s loss of “impact” in recent years, SIE Worldwide Studios chairman and former SIE president and CEO Shawn Layden told CNET...

“Now we have an event in February called Destination PlayStation, where we bring all retailers and third-party partners to come hear the story for the year. They’re making purchasing discussions in February. June, now, is just too late to have a Christmas holiday discussion with retailers. So retail has really dropped off. And journalists now, with the internet and the fact that 24/7 there is game news, it’s lost its impact around that.”

“As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community,” Sony told Variety at the time. “PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.”

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/playstation-shawn-layden-e3-sony-1203136387/

Sony Announce Big Executive Changes for PS5 Reveal; Promises Even Bigger PlayStation Exclusives!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6cNWfEvPNs

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

Would be to boring of a bet. You think they are going more premium, I think they want mass market price. So Below 450 I win, above 450 you win, on 450 we both lose =p and change avatars. At least we chose good games.

Well, I would not discard 449/450, I'm only completely sure it won't be 399/400 xP

But you know what? Fine. 449 you also win.

By the way I just saw Nate4Drake post on your quote tree from before and he is talking about a rumor with specs basically exactly what I'm thinking about, lol.

PS5 gonna be a monster.

You really like risky bets, isn't it ? :D

If you look at the "leak"/rumor, it's the same specs I gave at Option3, Only Base Model, $499, 12-14TF GPU, 24GB RAM.   Almost a day after, this leak came out with same specs...which is also your prediction :D     I said $499 for option3, but it might be easy $449.  The wait is almost over, the announcement is close. I'm curious to see if you will win the bet !

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Otter said:

Y

TranceformerFX said:

Too low? 8GB is already more than double of what the PS4/Pro works with. There are way too many posters in here with "PC Gaming" mindsets. 12 GB reserved for video games/developers? That's batshit crazy and absolutely will not be the case... That's just dumb.

People in here need to stop thinking of the PS5 specs as if they were building a gaming PC. Like seriously, stop...

Richard from digital foundry already said don’t be surprised if these new consoles have 24GB oh ram and he has reliable sources.

also 8GB being more than double PS4? Isn’t 5GB available to developers in the base system? And was’t PS4’s ram well above the PC average at launch (5 versus 2-4)?

My mistake; I had it backwards.

But REGARDLESS....

The PS5 isn't going to have more than 16GB of RAM. And it isn't gonna have an SSD, and it isn't going to have a 3TB HDD...

I'd rather have 8GB of that RAM go to the PS5's OS/Functionality to ensure smooth and seamless interaction, than to have 4GB (12 GB for games) and run into the same lacking/laggy features that creep up on the PS4.

If devs for PS4 didn't complain about having 5GB of RAM for their games - I'm pretty sure they won't for 8GB either.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-22-ps4-pc-like-architecture-8gb-ram-delight-developers

TranceformerFX said:
Mr Puggsly said:

8GB would be too low, the X1X is already working with 9GB. I think a realistic range would be 12GB-16GB dedicated to games.

Looking at some BFV benchmarks, 8GB is pushing it at Ultra settings.

Too low? 8GB is already more than double of what the PS4/Pro works with. There are way too many posters in here with "PC Gaming" mindsets. 12 GB reserved for video games/developers? That's batshit crazy and absolutely will not be the case... That's just dumb.

People in here need to stop thinking of the PS5 specs as if they were building a gaming PC. Like seriously, stop...

So you basically want OS RAM footprint to double with game RAM less than double and call others dumb to suggest otherwise?

Every gen the increase in RAM for gaming have been over 8x, so not sure why a 3x bump this time would be dumb.

Intrinsic said:
NextGen_Gamer said:
I mean, hopefully someone intelligent at Sony looks at the current PS4 sales crushing it since its launch price of $399, and then looks at the beginning & cumulative sales of consoles that launched at $499 (read: Xbox One) and $599 (read; PS3) and realizes that those price points are simply too much.

Are they maybe okay for an elite system though? Perhaps but one would think Sony would wait on that 3 years into the PS5's life cycle for a new sales boost just like with PS4 Pro.

Back in 1994 and then in 2000 if anyone had come and said anything for $399 it would have been DOA. And now $399 (thanks to the 360 and the PS3 costing $200 more) is considered as entry level pricing.

I really think next gen we will see $499 consoles and I don't think it will be a problem. Mostly because I dont believe that the XB1 being $500 was why it did poorly. If yu really think abut it from the time it got diskinected it has mostly cost less than the PS4. 

DonFerrari said:

Sure they could. They haven't made march a release date for PS that I remember but sure they could.

The point is just that they wouldn't skip E3 to reveal PS5 on close weeks to it.

How does everyone seem to forget that the PS2 released in march in japan first? r that the PS4 released in febuary in japan months after its western debut.

I agree with you on the timing though..... though I feel you are attaching to much relevance to E3....... simple truth is that its not what it used to be. And really what is it? A show where someone comes n stage and they show games that are live streamed? Well that can be done at any pint in the year. Especially not at a time when every other publisher is now having their own show....

Once upon a time E3 was Sony/nintendo/MS showing their games and sharing the third party publishers then the rest f the world having to wait abut a month for the news to hit magazines. Then that became waiting hours for news to hit websites. Now we watch them live..... and now we having almost every major publisher having their own show.

Not forgetting PS2, loved it. But Japan release and WW release are different things. Anyway that wasn't the important point =p

It isn't about putting much relevance to E3, it is just that if they were really going to reveal it around E3 time, there is no much point in making a specific event, that would cost more, have less expectations on what would be there (because if they said they would reveal PS5 there, then they would already be revealing it beforehand =p). Also don't forget they also pushed the PSX away from the calendar for this year, all indicates there won't be a reveal in 2019 unless Sony is trolling us.

Also I think it would be hard to have less then 3-6 months from reveal to launch because of 2 things, first it could piss off retailers like happened with Sega in the past and second leaks. If they informed retailers closed door it would eventually leak with today connected world (because not only a selected few retailers CEO would know it, since someone needs to make the orders and they can't really mask the system to hide the orders - unless of course they make a contract for initial shipments and then only one month before release input in the system) and it would also probably leak from manufacturing team. So all in all 6 months from reveal to release is more likely.

TranceformerFX said:

I dont really get what you are saying......

PS4 has 8GB of RAM and 5GB of that is reserved for Devs and 3GB for the OS.

I am also guessing you would have been among those that considered it bat shit crazy when rumors f the current gen consoles suggested they were going from having 512MB to having 4GB of 8GB of RAM.

Unless next gen consoles are not using GDDR6 RAM (which is pretty much ridiculous to think they won't) the lowest they can go and still have respectable bandwidth is 16GB. The primary package for GDDR6 are 16Gb chips. Look at it this way, look at the MB of the PS4/PS4 pro. There are 8 chips of RAM there. Now replace those 8Gb(1GB) GDDR5 chips with 16Gb(2GB) GDDR6 ad yu effectively have 16GB of RAM while only increasing cost by about 30% of what it would cst them t put that 8GB right now. And significantly less than what it cost in 2013. 

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

If you don't have a HDR TV you really won't see any HDR. And HDR is just to have better colors, and I can tell you I have seem some great color schemes on some games.

Not exactly! Extra colour is part of the equation... But the big benefit is actually contrasts... I.E. The difference between the brightest parts of a scene and the darkest parts.

10-bit and 12-bit colour can reduce allot of the colour banding in games and makes the images seem more realistic... But I would be kidding myself if I could actually tell a massive difference between an 8-bit FRC display and a native 10-bit display unless I got really close to the display to try and discern the differences.

I now it, I just didn't saw the point in making it technical, contrast, luminance, color level, etc... I have put it all under "color". But yes you are right, on a good painel you'll be able to differentiate much better the scope from dark to bright in some scenes that on SDR just seem plainly washed out or indistinguishable black.

But do you agree that HDR implementation doesn't have a considerable processing power cost/impact?

Nate4Drake said:
BraLoD said:

Well, I would not discard 449/450, I'm only completely sure it won't be 399/400 xP

But you know what? Fine. 449 you also win.

By the way I just saw Nate4Drake post on your quote tree from before and he is talking about a rumor with specs basically exactly what I'm thinking about, lol.

PS5 gonna be a monster.

You really like risky bets, isn't it ? :D

If you look at the "leak"/rumor, it's the same specs I gave at Option3, Only Base Model, $499, 12-14TF GPU, 24GB RAM.   Almost a day after, this leak came out with same specs...which is also your prediction :D     I said $499 for option3, but it might be easy $449.  The wait is almost over, the announcement is close. I'm curious to see if you will win the bet !

Not a risky bet, if he wins he get me to put LoD avatar... if he loses he can endure one month of Soul Reaver avatar.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
TranceformerFX said:
Otter said:

Y

Richard from digital foundry already said don’t be surprised if these new consoles have 24GB oh ram and he has reliable sources.

also 8GB being more than double PS4? Isn’t 5GB available to developers in the base system? And was’t PS4’s ram well above the PC average at launch (5 versus 2-4)?

My mistake; I had it backwards.

But REGARDLESS....

The PS5 isn't going to have more than 16GB of RAM. And it isn't gonna have an SSD, and it isn't going to have a 3TB HDD...

I'd rather have 8GB of that RAM go to the PS5's OS/Functionality to ensure smooth and seamless interaction, than to have 4GB (12 GB for games) and run into the same lacking/laggy features that creep up on the PS4.

If devs for PS4 didn't complain about having 5GB of RAM for their games - I'm pretty sure they won't for 8GB either.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-22-ps4-pc-like-architecture-8gb-ram-delight-developers

Okay, so now you agree 16GB RAM is actually reasonable? Glad we made some progress.

I don't think the slow(ish) UI on 8th gen consoles is a RAM issue. I'd guess its more of a CPU/optimization issue.

Developers were delighted by the RAM upgrade in 8th gen consoles because they were struggling with the little 7th gen had. They would probably be fine with 8GB to work with, but 12 to 16GB is relatively cheap now and is needed for great textures as games become more resource intensive.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

My 2 cents on next-gen console GPUs is that, although nothing similar was yet announced from AMD, I can't shake this feeling that they will have something similar to nVidia RT cores for helping in ray-tracing calulations.

Since we´re talking about the PS5 here, what changes would you guys like to see made with the controller?...would you keep the light bar or remove it?...any features you´d like to see added to the Dualshock 5?

JamesGarret said:
Since we´re talking about the PS5 here, what changes would you guys like to see made with the controller?...would you keep the light bar or remove it?...any features you´d like to see added to the Dualshock 5?

I was thinking about a touchscreen on Dualshock 5; a patent might suggest a touchscreen equipped controller is in the works, but who knows.

I want more battery life for sure :D

Harriet Tubman.

DonFerrari said:

Pemalite said:

I now it, I just didn't saw the point in making it technical, contrast, luminance, color level, etc... I have put it all under "color". But yes you are right, on a good painel you'll be able to differentiate much better the scope from dark to bright in some scenes that on SDR just seem plainly washed out or indistinguishable black.

But do you agree that HDR implementation doesn't have a considerable processing power cost/impact?

Absolutely agree. No excuse not to have it.

Mr Puggsly said:

Okay, so now you agree 16GB RAM is actually reasonable? Glad we made some progress.

I don't think the slow(ish) UI on 8th gen consoles is a RAM issue. I'd guess its more of a CPU/optimization issue.

Developers were delighted by the RAM upgrade in 8th gen consoles because they were struggling with the little 7th gen had. They would probably be fine with 8GB to work with, but 12 to 16GB is relatively cheap now and is needed for great textures as games become more resource intensive.

Allot of the UI is actually rendered by the Graphics Processing Unit...
The CPU is tasked with various load operations... But the sluggish UI is actually a Hard Drive issue as not everything is loaded into DRAM... So when a user requests something, the information likely takes 20ms just to start loading the initial information.

8GB of Ram is starting to become *extremely* limiting on the PC... And that is before we even start looking at the GPU Ram pools on top of that where GPU's are now coming out with 16GB buffers.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--