By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Coming at the End of 2020 According to Analyst: High-Spec Hardware for Under $500

Price, SKUs, specs ?

Only Base Model, $399, 9-10TF GPU, 16GB RAM 24 30.00%

Only Base Model, $449, 10-12TF GPU, 16GB RAM 13 16.25%

Only Base Model, $499, 12-14TF GPU, 24GB RAM 21 26.25%

Base Model $399 and PREMIUM $499 specs Ans3 10 12.50%

Base Mod $399 / PREM $549, >14TF 24GB RAM 5 6.25%

Base Mod $449 / PREM $599, the absolute Elite 7 8.75%

Total:80
zorg1000 said:

Intrinsic said: 

Back in 1994 and then in 2000 if anyone had come and said anything for $399 it would have been DOA. And now $399 is considered as entry level pricing.

That's called inflation.

Exactly!

And this is what I think everyone is missing......

$400 in 2006 (360 launch year) is $514 in 2018. Just using the inflation calculator.

Technically speaking the PS4pro in 2016 at $399 cost less than a PS4 in 2013 at $399.

$399 will not be the entry price point for these next gen consoles. IMO. 

They maintained a $299 price point for 2 generations. Then went t $399 for two generations. I reckn its about time to bump the price up again.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

That's called inflation.

Exactly!

And this is what I think everyone is missing......

$400 in 2006 (360 launch year) is $514 in 2018. Just using the inflation calculator.

Technically speaking the PS4pro in 2016 at $399 cost less than a PS4 in 2013 at $399.

$399 will not be the entry price point for these next gen consoles. IMO. 

They maintained a $299 price point for 2 generations. Then went t $399 for two generations. I reckn its about time to bump the price up again.

Maybe but at the same time we have seen that publishers are afraid to raise the price of AAA games past $60 despite it being clear they should cost more. I could see the same happening with  hardware where Sony (PS3) & Microsoft (XBO) both saw poor sales when they had $499 price tags and being nervous about releasing at those prices again, especially if they think the other will be cheaper.

360 was kind of a half step to getting the $399 launch price. PS2 was $299 ($436 today) at launch in 2000 and PS4 was $399 ($430 today) in 2013 but 360 launched in 2005 at $299 ($384 today) & $399 $513 today).

If Sony is going to go above $399 for PS5 I think it will either be $449 which is similar to PS2/PS4 adjusted for inflation or 2 skus at $399 & $499 which would be in line with 360 launch price adjusted for inflation.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Nate4Drake said:
JamesGarret said:
Since we´re talking about the PS5 here, what changes would you guys like to see made with the controller?...would you keep the light bar or remove it?...any features you´d like to see added to the Dualshock 5?

I was thinking about a touchscreen on Dualshock 5; a patent might suggest a touchscreen equipped controller is in the works, but who knows.

I want more battery life for sure :D

For sure, the DS4 battery life is pretty disappointing imo...what about the physical shape of the controller?...would you want to see it changed with the DS5?

TranceformerFX said:

My mistake; I had it backwards.

But REGARDLESS....

1. The PS5 isn't going to have more than 16GB of RAM. And it isn't gonna have an SSD, and it isn't going to have a 3TB HDD...

2. I'd rather have 8GB of that RAM go to the PS5's OS/Functionality to ensure smooth and seamless interaction, than to have 4GB (12 GB for games) and run into the same lacking/laggy features that creep up on the PS4.

3. If devs for PS4 didn't complain about having 5GB of RAM for their games - I'm pretty sure they won't for 8GB either.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-22-ps4-pc-like-architecture-8gb-ram-delight-developers

No........

1. We really don't know this and there is no way to know. Only thing we can say with any certainty is that it will have AT LEAST 16GB of RAM.

As for SSD and HDD my take on this is that its imperative that some sort of compromise is made. Be it at cost and putting an SSD or by them being creative and have a cache drive coupled with a HDD. And this is as out of necessity. Even if we are just doubling the usable RAM allocation from 5GB to 10GB we are still at a point where that would result in massive loading times using a standard HDD. This is a even bigger deal when you consider that we may actually be looking at anywhere from 12GB to 16GB of RAM available for games. Thats a 3x + increase in capacity but then storage drive speeds will remain the same? To put this in perspective right now it takes some games up to 1min to load in 5GB worth of assets.

2. This makes absolutely zero sense. Do you have a smartphone? Better yet did you have one like 4 years ago that had only like 2GB of RAM?

Mobile OSs fit on as little as 2GB of slower RAM and are mre capable and versatile OS then anything we have in consoles. And that should tell you all yu need to know. If you ask me I think the consoles are using up to much RAM fr what is their really basic OSs. Though I understand why they do that. And that lagyness you speak off? Yup.... you have the HDD to thank for that. 

But yet you will rather that they take up more of a very expensive resource (RAM) to fix fluidity when it would cost them waaaaay less to just throw in an SSD or some sort of nand cache drive in there.

3. I think right here you are showing that you don't really understand what you are talking abut or maybe you have your wires crossed.

In 2013 5GB for games expected t run at 1080p with FHD level assets was a God sent for devs.

In 2013.

In 2018 the PS4pro with 5.5GB of RAM compared to 9GB on the XB1X lacks higher rez assets and that is a more glaring difference than resolution. But you somehow feel that when going all in into a generation thats expected to be the true 4K generation devs will be happy with 8GB of RAM available for their games? When even the 9GB n the XB1x doesn't cut it?     

zorg1000 said:

Maybe but at the same time we have seen that publishers are afraid to raise the price of AAA games past $60 despite it being clear they should cost more. I could see the same happening with  hardware where Sony (PS3) & Microsoft (XBO) both saw poor sales when they had $499 price tags and being nervous about releasing at those prices again, especially if they think the other will be cheaper.

360 was kind of a half step to getting the $399 launch price. PS2 was $299 ($436 today) at launch in 2000 and PS4 was $399 ($430 today) in 2013 but 360 launched in 2005 at $299 ($384 today) & $399 $513 today).

If Sony is going to go above $399 for PS5 I think it will either be $449 which is similar to PS2/PS4 adjusted for inflation or 2 skus at $399 & $499 which would be in line with 360 launch price adjusted for inflation.

Yup.... or the could also do that old trick of having two skus with the only difference being HDD size then just main the $399 SKU harder to find. And be able to market "starting at $399".

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

Yup.... or the could also do that old trick of having two skus with the only difference being HDD size then just main the $399 SKU harder to find. And be able to market "starting at $399".

That's what I meant by 2 skus, I dont expect a Pro model until a few years after launch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

JamesGarret said:
Since we´re talking about the PS5 here, what changes would you guys like to see made with the controller?...would you keep the light bar or remove it?...any features you´d like to see added to the Dualshock 5?

I would remove the touchpad, it is hardly used and in a position you won't do anything without being harder on holding the controller. The lightbar is also unnecessary.

But if they want to keep both I wouldn't care as well, for me there isn't anything specific that bothers me.

Intrinsic said:
TranceformerFX said:

My mistake; I had it backwards.

But REGARDLESS....

1. The PS5 isn't going to have more than 16GB of RAM. And it isn't gonna have an SSD, and it isn't going to have a 3TB HDD...

2. I'd rather have 8GB of that RAM go to the PS5's OS/Functionality to ensure smooth and seamless interaction, than to have 4GB (12 GB for games) and run into the same lacking/laggy features that creep up on the PS4.

3. If devs for PS4 didn't complain about having 5GB of RAM for their games - I'm pretty sure they won't for 8GB either.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-22-ps4-pc-like-architecture-8gb-ram-delight-developers

No........

1. We really don't know this and there is no way to know. Only thing we can say with any certainty is that it will have AT LEAST 16GB of RAM.

As for SSD and HDD my take on this is that its imperative that some sort of compromise is made. Be it at cost and putting an SSD or by them being creative and have a cache drive coupled with a HDD. And this is as out of necessity. Even if we are just doubling the usable RAM allocation from 5GB to 10GB we are still at a point where that would result in massive loading times using a standard HDD. This is a even bigger deal when you consider that we may actually be looking at anywhere from 12GB to 16GB of RAM available for games. Thats a 3x + increase in capacity but then storage drive speeds will remain the same? To put this in perspective right now it takes some games up to 1min to load in 5GB worth of assets.

2. This makes absolutely zero sense. Do you have a smartphone? Better yet did you have one like 4 years ago that had only like 2GB of RAM?

Mobile OSs fit on as little as 2GB of slower RAM and are mre capable and versatile OS then anything we have in consoles. And that should tell you all yu need to know. If you ask me I think the consoles are using up to much RAM fr what is their really basic OSs. Though I understand why they do that. And that lagyness you speak off? Yup.... you have the HDD to thank for that. 

But yet you will rather that they take up more of a very expensive resource (RAM) to fix fluidity when it would cost them waaaaay less to just throw in an SSD or some sort of nand cache drive in there.

3. I think right here you are showing that you don't really understand what you are talking abut or maybe you have your wires crossed.

In 2013 5GB for games expected t run at 1080p with FHD level assets was a God sent for devs.

In 2013.

In 2018 the PS4pro with 5.5GB of RAM compared to 9GB on the XB1X lacks higher rez assets and that is a more glaring difference than resolution. But you somehow feel that when going all in into a generation thats expected to be the true 4K generation devs will be happy with 8GB of RAM available for their games? When even the 9GB n the XB1x doesn't cut it?     

They could even have one specific small nand or any other fast memory specific to have the OS plus its dedicated RAM. Then the hybrid HDD would be a good thing for the rest.

Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

Much more likely than having a single SKU at 499 imho.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

JamesGarret said:
Nate4Drake said:

I was thinking about a touchscreen on Dualshock 5; a patent might suggest a touchscreen equipped controller is in the works, but who knows.

I want more battery life for sure :D

For sure, the DS4 battery life is pretty disappointing imo...what about the physical shape of the controller?...would you want to see it changed with the DS5?

DS4 fits perfectly in my hands, and I like the shape too, though a part of me always want innovation.   At this point I trust Sony 100% and I'm confident whatever they do it'll make me happy ;)   

What I really want is PS5 BC with all playstation consoles(a must is at least with PS4), Sony have to secure the Playstation ecosystem and impress the World; after the success of PS4 it is not possible to sleep on our laurels, but they need to go the next level and improve everything.  I'm also waiting for a much more robust Launch line-up.

Any thoughts from you ?

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

DonFerrari said:

I would remove the touchpad, it is hardly used and in a position you won't do anything without being harder on holding the controller. The lightbar is also unnecessary.

They could even have one specific small nand or any other fast memory specific to have the OS plus its dedicated RAM. Then the hybrid HDD would be a good thing for the rest.

Much more likely than having a single SKU at 499 imho.

1. I doubt they can remove the light bar now as that will break functionality with VR games. Same thin with the touch pad as there are a good number of games that support it on some level. If anything its more likely that its made into some sort of touch screen. 

2. As fr the storage thing its really not a complicated issue. Just price prohibitive. But certain boxes must be checked.

Firstly, every sku must support it so devs can build their games knowing that is what everyone has. Funny thing about this is that it actually means its a bad idea to put in a 2.5" SSD. Why? Cause that will mean you also make the SSD non upgradeable unless specifying that you can only use SSDs. You dont want someone in to put in a 4TB HDD in there and breaking performance. 

If being forward thinking and ideally its better to have like 240GB cache SSD embedded on the PCB then still have a normal 2.5" 2TB drive knowing that as nand flash prices drop they can ultimately take out the HDD and only have an SSD.

I just feel they have t do something. Load times was one of the reasons HDDs even started being mandatory in these consoles and now games pretty much run entirely off the HDD. We are at the point now where the HDD of choice used since 2001 just isnt good enough on its own. 

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

I now it, I just didn't saw the point in making it technical, contrast, luminance, color level, etc... I have put it all under "color". But yes you are right, on a good painel you'll be able to differentiate much better the scope from dark to bright in some scenes that on SDR just seem plainly washed out or indistinguishable black.

But do you agree that HDR implementation doesn't have a considerable processing power cost/impact?

Absolutely agree. No excuse not to have it.

Mr Puggsly said:

Okay, so now you agree 16GB RAM is actually reasonable? Glad we made some progress.

I don't think the slow(ish) UI on 8th gen consoles is a RAM issue. I'd guess its more of a CPU/optimization issue.

Developers were delighted by the RAM upgrade in 8th gen consoles because they were struggling with the little 7th gen had. They would probably be fine with 8GB to work with, but 12 to 16GB is relatively cheap now and is needed for great textures as games become more resource intensive.

Allot of the UI is actually rendered by the Graphics Processing Unit...
The CPU is tasked with various load operations... But the sluggish UI is actually a Hard Drive issue as not everything is loaded into DRAM... So when a user requests something, the information likely takes 20ms just to start loading the initial information.

8GB of Ram is starting to become *extremely* limiting on the PC... And that is before we even start looking at the GPU Ram pools on top of that where GPU's are now coming out with 16GB buffers.

I'm more referring to the UI just feeling sluggish, takes time to load stuff in, freezes for a bit, etc. I suspect these more CPU related than GPU or RAM, if it was than X1X would probably load significantly faster than it does.

Games are certainly using more than 8GB at highest settings at this point. I was entertaining his idea that developers might be okay working with just 8GB given they already do plenty with 5GB. But 16GB is a reasonable expectation for the 9th gen considering consoles launched with 8GB in 2013.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)