By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 19 January 2019

Mar1217 said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
This SHOULD be the last week at least for the next month or so(3-4 weeks) with Nintendo winning WW. KH3/RE2 will give PS4 a hardware boost for the next several weeks in EU/NA

I give it 2 weeks max.

Same here. Maybe even just one, if Japan can be of any indication.

Around the Network

The real test will be how well Switch holds up over the next few months, as barring a surprise announcement of Animal Crossing coming sooner than expected, it looks like they've dropped the ball for the first half of the year.

Kerotan said:
Ps4 coming for that top spot!

Aye it will have it for a few weeks,thanks to KH3/RE2, then lose again. 

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

curl-6 said:

The real test will be how well Switch holds up over the next few months, as barring a surprise announcement of Animal Crossing coming sooner than expected, it looks like they've dropped the ball for the first half of the year.

It really boggles my mind that they do this every year... So far it is on par with last year (which was pretty dull) with nothing of note in February. Kinda like last year's January.

1doesnotsimply

So Switch is headed for a good start this year by VGC numbers and PS4 have a decrease YOY quite in line with what one would expect from its age, good chance Switch wins the month WW and NPD. Will be interesting to see how many weeks can PS4 steal first position of Switch this year.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
So Switch is headed for a good start this year by VGC numbers and PS4 have a decrease YOY quite in line with what one would expect from its age, good chance Switch wins the month WW and NPD. Will be interesting to see how many weeks can PS4 steal first position of Switch this year.

For it's age and price. If it was $199 now it would be doing great. 

The Switch is closing in on two entire years without a price cut. The price cut excuse does not work for just one console or another, both consoles could use one and both would probably do a bit better with one.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
The Switch is closing in on two entire years without a price cut. The price cut excuse does not work for just one console or another, both consoles could use one and both would probably do a bit better with one.

Who said a price cut was an excuse? I just saw people say the PS4 was doing as expected in conjuncture with its age and price. No one ever said it doesn't work for any other console as far as I rad anyway.  And of course both would do a bit better with a price cut that is a given. How long has it been since the PS4 had an official price cut though? Edit: I found the answer to this question it was Sept 2016 that is became $299.

Also just out of curiosity do you know how long it was before the PS4/XB1 had their first price cuts? Edit: Found the answer to this one as well it was Oct 2015 so nearly 2 years in about the Switch current age.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

TheBlackNaruto said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Who said a price cut was an excuse? I just saw people say the PS4 was doing as expected in conjuncture with its age and price. No one ever said it doesn't work for any other console as far as I rad anyway.  And of course both would do a bit better with a price cut that is a given. How long has it been since the PS4 had an official price cut though?

Also just out of curiosity do you know how long it was before the PS4/XB1 had their first price cuts?

I said the price cut was an excuse, not that other people said it was an excuse. And I said this because Kerotan's comment says : "For it's age and price. If it was $199 now it would be doing great. " Which is true, but it can be said for the Switch as well. Both are arguably overdue for a price cut, so I don't see the reason to imply the PS4 needs one and leave it at that. It's not like the PS4 is the only console in this comparison which could use a cut. They are both doing very well considering the price they are at. 

Ironically I closed out of the tab right when you replied to me : P Here it is:

http://time.com/2848313/xbox-one-price-cut/

https://www.polygon.com/2015/10/8/9477625/ps4-price-drop-349-us

Sony cut the price of the PS4 by $50 like, almost exactly two years after their console launched (technically a month and two weeks before the 2nd anniversary). And the 3DS is infamous for having to have a steep price cut just like 6 months after launch. Which means that the Switch will probably go the longest without a price cut this generation. Though I do expect a Switch lite to be announced at $250 in a few months.

While both PS4 and Switch would sell better with a price cut, I think they're selling well enough that it's understandable why neither parent company want to make a cut just yet.

After all, as soon as they drop to $250, they're making $50 less money on each unit. Apparently they'd rather keep that nice fat profit margin that try to push for maximum install base growth.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 February 2019