By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Game Freak needs to ditch 3ds era assets, texture works and etc.

Its not just detail; animation is terrible in the 3D Pokemon games. Looks very amateurish.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Even if you wanted an excuse to show off how ugly "HD Pokemon" can look, it still doesn't make sense. We already have an HD Pokemon game: Let's Go is in HD. Even if you mean "photo realistic Pokemon" it doesn't make sense, because the comparisons being made are to Mario Odyssey, Yokai Watch 4, Xenoblade 2 Torna, and Smash which aren't realistic looking in the slightest. Wanting graphics which are complex might inherently make a game more "believable", but it's for the same of immersion and visual eye-candy ... not just realism. Nobody is asking for Pokemon to look like that and you know it. 

Thanks for that post.

About this paragraph... I mean, Pokkén Tournament is already a thing. Personally I'm not the biggest fan of its art style, but it's undeniably at least a decent rendition of what Pokémon can look like in HD when handled by a decent developer. Game Freak are honestly an embarassment at this point.

Your welcome. On a bad note, you cutting my post made me realize I accidentally put "for the same of immersion and visual eye-candy" instead of "for the sense"   

flashfire926 said:

You're expecting way too much from Game Freak.

Nintendo should take in the IP internally already. Cause on the Switch, we should be getting pokemon games like this:

Not this:

Pokémon Go has the best grass/foliage

It'd be great, but then we'd never get anything done. If if takes this long even with 3DS-era assets, imagine how long it would take if the assets had to be more up-to-date. Sure, things could be better (a lot, actually), but looks good enough to me because of stylistic reasons.

Graphics have never been Gamefreak's strong suit. On a purely technical level the mainline Pokemon games have always been average at best for their respective systems. Gen 1 was not one of the better-looking GB games, gen 3, 4, and 5 were not among the best-looking GBA or DS games. The 3DS games really show how bad they are at working with the hardware, since they couldn't even get the 3D effect working except during battles in X and Y and didn't bother with it in Sun and Moon, all those games had slowdown, and they looked far, far worse than many games on the 3DS that had full 3d and better framerates in addition to much higher quality assets, effects, and animations.

I would hope that Lets Go and Town, by allowing them to get their feet wet in HD development, would lead to something better when it comes to Gen 8, but I've given up on anything close to the technical level of BOTW, Mario Odyssey, or Xenoblade 2 since it appears they are not getting help from Monoliftsolft like I'd hoped.

Around the Network

They could aim to have a samelike graphics design as Dragon quest 11 but it takes time for a company to fully transition to AAA non handheld games,they could suprise us with the coming pokemon game but expect it to be a slow transitioning.

The pokkenbwxample is just stupid cause they just had to fully animate and model around 25 charecters. With Pokemon, including the trainers, you'd need over a thousand animated models. If a Pokemon game was once every console generation, sure. But remember it took them an additional YEAR to transition from emerald to DP... GF is not exactly the best at programming, though they are Kings at charecter design.

I like how the games look now.

So before I respond to everybody I just want to make sure we are all on the same page. You guys all expect the Poke'mon to have the detail of Incineroar from Smash Ultimate, with the backgrounds of DragonQuest 11. Is that correct?

I will take GameCube graphics till the end of days on Nintendo Switch in exchange for getting more big games every year and more new IPs.

Maybe AI speeds up HD texture/animation creation one day, but in no way would I want slower game releases just for some marginal eye candy that my brain normalizes in 30 seconds.