By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Game Freak needs to ditch 3ds era assets, texture works and etc.

Dulfite said:
collint0101 said:
I just remembered how great the torna dlc looked

Is it worth playing narratively? I figured the story was described enough in the main games, which I loved beating. If anything I'd want a post XC2 dlc story :(

Then again the series just turned itself into a multiverse essentially, so who knows where they will go from here! 

I guess a good comparison would be ff7 and ff7 crisis core or maybe even rdr1 and rdr2. Yes you have an idea of what happened but there's a lot of details and context you don't know. Also it's a good game so it's worth it based on that alone 

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
flashfire926 said:

You're expecting way too much from Game Freak.

Nintendo should take in the IP internally already. Cause on the Switch, we should be getting pokemon games like this:

Not this:

Funny thing is, I was going to say that's impossible ... then I remembered it's getting ported to Switch xD

How about some more. Here's Mario Odyssey. Its no secret that the game looks better than lets go:

But here's the kicker: Mario Odyssey is a locked 60fps game, while Lets Go is 30 fps WITH DROPS! Yeah, its a turn based game so its uneeded, but the fact that they cant even lock it at 30 means they're getting absolutely lapped by EPD.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Kai_Mao said:

DQ XI was developed for 4 years while Pokemon Let's Go was likely done in significantly less time than that. And I doubt Game Freak would allow Nintendo to take their IP like that. Nintendo only has the trademark and publishing rights and I think they're more than comfortable with being in that position (though maybe only having a fraction of the revenue of Pokemon Go, as they are not the publisher or developer of that game, may be disappointing for them).

They actually have full control of the IP, the ownership is split 3 ways between Creatures, GF and Nintendo but Nintendo own the controlling stake in Creatures from when they were still called Ape (the studio behind the Earthbound games).

Wyrdness said:
Kai_Mao said:

DQ XI was developed for 4 years while Pokemon Let's Go was likely done in significantly less time than that. And I doubt Game Freak would allow Nintendo to take their IP like that. Nintendo only has the trademark and publishing rights and I think they're more than comfortable with being in that position (though maybe only having a fraction of the revenue of Pokemon Go, as they are not the publisher or developer of that game, may be disappointing for them).

They actually have full control of the IP, the ownership is split 3 ways between Creatures, GF and Nintendo but Nintendo own the controlling stake in Creatures from when they were still called Ape (the studio behind the Earthbound games).

But I meant more on the development side of things. Nintendo has not been more than a publisher for the Pokemon franchise. I don't know if they can simply take development rights away from Game Freak unless a deal is made.

Kai_Mao said:
Wyrdness said:

But I meant more on the development side of things. Nintendo has not been more than a publisher for the Pokemon franchise. I don't know if they can simply take development rights away from Game Freak unless a deal is made.

That's due to choice if they wanted they could due to them having the controlling stake but then GF would still get paid off the IP regardless even if they don't lift a finger so Nintendo positions them as a franchise collaborator for the series as it gives the series a dedicated team alongside Creatures and frees up the internal teams for other things.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Kai_Mao said:

That's due to choice if they wanted they could due to them having the controlling stake but then GF would still get paid off the IP regardless even if they don't lift a finger so Nintendo positions them as a franchise collaborator for the series as it gives the series a dedicated team alongside Creatures and frees up the internal teams for other things.

shikamaru317 said:
Kai_Mao said:

They don't even need to take the development away from them. Just tell Gamefreak that they are willing to have one of the EAD teams or maybe Monolith assist them in making the transition to HD development. 

I guess it just all depends on Game Freak. Though while it would be nice to have someone from EAD or Monolith Soft help Game Freak out (if they wanted to), they would have to be careful considering everyone at Nintendo have projects in development, even the Zelda team that just completed BoTW and its DLC. Hell, Metroid Prime 4, while rumored to be developed by Namco Bandai, is still be overseen by Nintendo and Tanabe. Monolith Soft was a bit short on staff while creating Xenoblade 2 as some of them helped out with Zelda.

Level 5 has been working wonders since the PS2 days. I swear Dragon Quest VIII is one of the best looking games of all time. So its no wonder Yokai Watch 4 looks so good.

Super Mario Odyssey is Nintendo's best team working for 4 years.

Monolith has its own engine. Torna is an expansion with most of the assets already done from the previous game. So they had plenty of time to make it look amazing.

DragonQuest 11 isn't out on Switch yet, so just hold your horses until you see what the port looks like.

Pokemon Gen 8 will look almost exactly like the Let's Go games, because they will have to reuse assets in order to finish the game by this year. And there's nothing wrong with that. The Let's Go games are a significant jump over Sun/Moon, even when running on Citra.

But maybe you want hyper-detailed Pokemon lacking all semblance of charm. Like this...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwZkJV9VsAEel3-.jpg:large

shikamaru317 said:
Kai_Mao said:

They don't even need to take the development away from them. Just tell Gamefreak that they are willing to have one of the EAD teams or maybe Monolith assist them in making the transition to HD development. 

Honestly, this seems like such a no brainer that I'm a little mad now that they're not doing this. Game Freak has already voiced that they're having trouble developing for Switch (somehow, despite indies loving the system for its ease of development) so Nintendo's first thought should have been to reach out to them with an offer of help. I mean it's not like they wouldn't be rewarded for it, Pokemon is only their biggest money maker after all. Wouldn't be the first time Nintendo failed to make the most sensible and obvious business choice though.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Level 5 has been working wonders since the PS2 days. I swear Dragon Quest VIII is one of the best looking games of all time. So its no wonder Yokai Watch 4 looks so good.

Super Mario Odyssey is Nintendo's best team working for 4 years.

Monolith has its own engine. Torna is an expansion with most of the assets already done from the previous game. So they had plenty of time to make it look amazing.

DragonQuest 11 isn't out on Switch yet, so just hold your horses until you see what the port looks like.

Pokemon Gen 8 will look almost exactly like the Let's Go games, because they will have to reuse assets in order to finish the game by this year. And there's nothing wrong with that. The Let's Go games are a significant jump over Sun/Moon, even when running on Citra.

But maybe you want hyper-detailed Pokemon lacking all semblance of charm. Like this...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwZkJV9VsAEel3-.jpg:large

We already know what DQXI on NS looks like as the a trailer.

If people don't like the production values then they can refuse to purchase their game ...